PrimeGrid Winter Solstice Challenge December 18-21, with GPUs!

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Welcome to the PrimeGrid Dog Days of Summer Challenge. :) We're rounding out another year with a sieve challenge; but this is no ordinary sieve challenge. This challenge lets you sieve with GPUs! This challenge also happens to use a sieve client I wrote, so I have a few more suggestions than usual. :sneaky:

What you need to participate:
  • One or more fast x86 processors. (Even slow ones will do!)
  • Windows, Linux, or MacOS 10.4+.
  • BOINC, attached to PrimeGrid (http://www.primegrid.com/).
  • Your PrimeGrid Preferences with only "Proth Prime Search (Sieve)" selected in the Projects section. (It's the one marked as this month's Challenge project.)

What would help a whole lot:
  • An nVIDIA GPU, of the 8000 series or later (so it's CUDA capable). A mid-range GTX 460 does about 10 times as much work as a mid-range quad-core CPU! :eek: Try to avoid version 260 or newer drivers; 256.53 is perfect on Linux.
  • An AMD GPU, of the 4000 series or later (so it's OpenCL capable), with the 10.10 or later Catalyst drivers, of the APP variety. A mid-range Radeon 5770 does 2-3 times as much work as a mid-range quad-core CPU.
  • "Use ATI GPU" and "Use NVIDIA GPU" set to "yes" in your PrimeGrid preferences.
  • Windows users should make sure they have msvcrt90.dll. You can get it by installing the .NET 3.5 runtime.
  • Users with multiple GPUs should add a cc_config.xml file.

What would help a little, but isn't absolutely necessary:
  • A 64-bit OS on a 64-bit processor will run CPU work 30% faster than a 32-bit OS. It matters very little for GPU work. If you can't get a GPU working on a 64-bit OS, but it does work on a 32-bit OS, go back to the 32-bit OS.
  • Overclocking a little. This project produces less heat than the LLR challenge from last month, and it's more tolerant of errors - except on GPUs, so watch out!
  • An app_info.xml file may be useful, especially with a couple of non-standard additions:
    • The latest builds from my site. They may prevent some Computation Errors that would otherwise cause you to lose work. I'm hoping Rytis updates to these before the race.
    • <cmdline>-m64</cmdline> may improve performance a few percent on Fermi-based nVIDIA cards. Other values may improve performance a little on other cards -- try them and see!
    • <count>0.5</count> would let two computations run at once on Fermi-based nVIDIA cards. Whether this is helpful, or even harmful, is unclear right now.

What won't help (but won't hurt either):
  • A large amount of RAM.
  • Any older video cards or Intel video cards - though you might want to use them for your display while newer cards crunch.

Folding@Home Holiday Season Race participants: If you want to split your work between Folding and this race, leave your CPUs on Folding and run your GPUs here. To do that, turn off CPU work in your PrimeGrid preferences.

This challenge starts on December 18, at 18:00 UTC and runs until the Winter Solstice three days, 5 hours, and 38 minutes later. Only WUs downloaded after the start of the challenge and completed before the end of the challenge will be counted. Should you not be able to be in front of one or more computers at the start time, either set their queue level to zero (0) days or try one of the scheduled start methods from the strategy thread (for Linux or Windows). Network connection time options may also be useful - though they depend on your computer's clock being correct, so set the start time a few minutes late.

Welcome and good luck to all! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RobertE

May 14, 2005
I'll add that for anyone joining in the challenge, you may want to do a small pre-race batch to get the apps and have boinc make the adjustments to your DCF. My initial estimated times was roughly 10x underestimated.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
I'll join with some of my GPUs ... and take the loss in points in Folding@home.
OTOH: I will probably need to restructure the teams in the F@H-race ... or not.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I'll join with some of my GPUs ... and take the loss in points in Folding@home.
OTOH: I will probably need to restructure the teams in the F@H-race ... or not.

I'm sure you have a lot more gpus than I do, but I can put my 2 GTX460s and my GTX295 on the Primegrid race. That will balance things on the F@H race a little bit.

It'll be interesting to see if my GTX295 is fully utilized on Primegrid. It doesn't work well on any other boinc project but does 15K per day on F@H. It's 2 GPUs on a single PCB.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
i lost one of my GTS250 due to a bad fan... need to replace the heatsink/fan... if i knew where my reciept was, i'd RMA it to sparkle... do'h

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Seeing as how dajeepster chewed us up and spit us out in just a few days, I suggest we have a TeAm challenge during the Prime Grid Challenge.

dajeepster could be The Big Frog in the Big Pond

and the rest of us could be The Tadpoles with Aspirations

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
@Ken_g6--

I have over 18,000 hits for this project. What does that mean?

OK, here's how hits work. On most sieving projects, you have a sieve file, and every hit is a factor that wasn't in that sieve file before. So each one usually eliminates a primality test.

But this project doesn't use a sieve file, because it would be too big and could take too much memory. The numbers that have been factored are checked for small factors (which would already have been found), but each case where no such factors are found counts as a hit, and the server sorts out the results later.

dajeepster

Golden Member
Apr 15, 2001
sooo... this would mean 2pm EST on saturday the 18th of DEC?
what should i do with my current load? Do I abort them and start fresh, or should I put my current wu on suspend and grab new ones when the time comes

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Abort them and start fresh - that is what PrimeGrid wants. That way the WUs get reissued almost immediately ...

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Seeing as how dajeepster chewed us up and spit us out in just a few days, I suggest we have a TeAm challenge during the Prime Grid Challenge.

dajeepster could be The Big Frog in the Big Pond

and the rest of us could be The Tadpoles with Aspirations

I haven't seen any opinions about this. What do you think?

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Wow, I didn't see that coming! I'm already in second place again!

Peter, how many GPUs do you have? You may be surprised how big of a tadpole you can be in this race. ;)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Wow, I didn't see that coming! I'm already in second place again!

Peter, how many GPUs do you have? You may be surprised how big of a tadpole you can be in this race. ;)

Oh, I really don't know how much it will do:

gtx460 x 2 (OC'ed)
gtx450 x 1 (Stock)
gtx260 x 2 (OC'ed)
9600 x 1 (Stock)
ATI 5850 x 2 (Stock)
ATI 5830 x 1 (Stock)

But that is what I plan to join with ... I really would like to keep my position in the stats and would really like to help the TeAm to climb some more ranks. But there djeepster will do a lot!

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Ken G6, I ran a few test WUs on my GTX295 and they all failed with computational errors.

process exited with code 139 (0x8b, -117)

I'm running 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04, Nvidia driver 260.19.21, Nvidia 32-bit 3.0 cuda toolkit.

Do I need to install the 64-bit version 2.3 cuda toolkit and roll back the driver to get this working?

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
I should be able to add some output to the race. Classes are over for the semester(yeah!), so running vm's of win2k8 will not slow me down for awhile.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Biodoc, Either:
1. Roll back the driver to 256.53 or earlier. CUDA toolkit doesn't matter.
2. Install the latest version of TPSieve-CUDA-BOINC from my site, with an app_info.xml file.
3. Or wait; hopefully Rytis will upload that latest version sometime soon.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Biodoc, Either:
1. Roll back the driver to 256.53 or earlier. CUDA toolkit doesn't matter.
2. Install the latest version of TPSieve-CUDA-BOINC from my site, with an app_info.xml file.
3. Or wait; hopefully Rytis will upload that latest version sometime soon.

Thanks!! This weekend I'll give it another test. :)