PrimeGrid Challenges 2019

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Current challenge: Prime Sierpinski Problem (PSP) LLR, December 12-21 (04:19 UTC)

Happy new year! Here's the (tentative) list of this year's PrimeGrid challenges:

Code:
#  Date             Time UTC  Project  Duration  Challenge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1   7-22 January    05:43:00  SoB-LLR  15 days   Conjunction of Venus & Jupiter Challenge
2   5-10 March      18:00:00  GCW-LLR  5 days    Year of the Pig(ging out on our CPU cycles :P) Challenge
3  24-31 May        00:00:00  TRP-LLR  7 days    Hans Ivar Riesel's 90th Birthday Challenge
4  15-20 July       20:17:00  PPS-LLR  5 days    50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing Challenge
5   3-10 August     00:00:00  ESP-LLR  7 days    Lennart Vogel Honorary Challenge
6  21-26 September  11:00:00  AP27     5 days    Oktoberfest Challenge
7  10-15 October    18:00:00  PPS-DIV  5 days    World Maths Day Challenge
8  24-29 October    00:00:00  321-LLR  5 days    50 years First ARPANET Connection Challenge
9   1-11 November   18:04:00  PSP-LLR  10 days   Transit of Mercury Across the Sun Challenge
10 12-22 December   04:19:00  GFN-21+  10 days   Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi! Summer Solstice Challenge

What you need:
  • One or more fast x86 processors, preferably with lots of cores. (Even slow ones might do!)
  • Windows (Vista or later 64-bit, or XP or later 32-bit), Linux, or MacOS 10.4+.
  • BOINC, attached to PrimeGrid (http://www.primegrid.com/).
  • Your PrimeGrid Preferences with only the above project(s) selected in the Projects section.
  • Patience! All of these projects run long, slow WUs, at least on your CPU. As a result, no challenge is less than five days long. :eek:

What may help LLR (all but two of the challenges):
  • An Intel Sandy Bridge or later ("Core series" other than first-generation) processor with AVX may be 20-70% faster than with the default application. Sadly, that does not include Pentium or Celeron processors, or AMD processors.
  • In most challenges - probably all of these since their WUs are so large - it helps to enable multi-core processing with app_config.xml. Leave hyper-threading on if you do this!
  • Faster RAM might help on many challenges, as long as it's stable.
What may help in other challenges:
  • A GPU helps in two challenges.
  • Juggling in some extra WUs may help in challenges where you run more than one WU on the CPU at a time. (Or, switching to use all cores on one WU at the end may work equally well.)
  • Turning on hyper-threading may help.

What won't help (but won't hurt either):
  • A large amount of RAM.
  • Any Android devices.

What won't help (and will hurt, sort of):
  • Unstable processors. (Invalid work will be deducted! :eek: If Prime95 worked recently on your processor, it should be stable.)
  • Work not downloaded anduploaded within the challenge. (It's not counted.) Should you not be able to be in front of one or more computers at that time, there are several options:
    • You can often set BOINC's network connection preferences to wait until a minute or two after challenge time.
    • And for short work units, you can just set the queue level very low (0.01 days). This also makes it more likely that you will be a prime finder rather than a double-checker. But you might want to raise their queue size after the challenge is underway.

Welcome and good luck to all! :)

P.S. If no one has posted stats lately, try tracking your stats with my user script. With that installed, visit the current challenge's Team stats link for TeAm stats.

Last edited:

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
http://primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=8409

Currently, the fastest opportunities to find Top 5000 primes is with the PPSE (LLR), and GFN-16 (65536) projects. Of course, should someone find a prime in the mega-prime searches, this would certainly give them a good shot at the green jersey. Not a guarantee, however, as in 2018 there were several mega primes found in the Tour de Primes. Overall, in 2018 we averaged close to two mega primes per week for the entire year, so you might need more than "merely" a mega prime to take home green. In 2018 there were 16 mega primes found during Tour de Primes.

GFN-16 is GPU, but PPSE is CPU:

<app_config>
<app>
<name>llrPPSE</name>
<fraction_done_exact/>
<report_results_immediately/>
</app> <app_version>
<app_name>llrPPSE</app_name>
<cmdline>-t 4</cmdline>
<avg_ncpus>4</avg_ncpus>
</app_version>
</app_config>

Reactions: Orange Kid

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I'll keep running PrimeGrid on a GPU or two to help our FB efforts while the cold weather permits.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I suppose I should have said I am testing and tuning. Moved my machines downstairs and the GPU temps are amazing LOL . I even (my machines) found a prime (sadly before the challenge though) largest one they have gotten since running PG!!

Hehe, I have a rig in the garage that has amazing temps as well. I get a minimally-heated garage out of it as a nice side effect ;)

Reactions: Orange Kid

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Even though I am testing and tuning it still frustrates the even living hell out of me with the crunchers that are running endless errors. <RANT> I have a machine that was throwing errors and I FIXED it so it stops the errors. I have a total of 4 errors (out of 6100 tasks) vs some clown that has 2 DAYS worth of continuous errors FFS and WTF!!!!!! Then you have the ones who have sat on them for days and decided to abort, along with others allowing them to time out. GYHOOYA, either play the game or shut your sh!t off!!!!! <END RANT>

Reactions: biodoc

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Way down here in 10essee, I've had to keep my window shut for nearly a week now. I am hoping that trend continues. :) Makes me feel better about running so much gear when it's still a touch chilly inside.
I must have too many computers. I have to leave almost all the windows open, even just above freezing, just to stay below 75f inside ! And I have 3 turned off to help the electric bill.

Reactions: Ken g6 and biodoc

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Well I had everything tested and tuned, still working on the troubled machine though. I fired everything back up since it has gotten a little chilly here, honestly the first time I have used crunching to help my furnace keep the temp up in my basement. Current temp is -25F/ -32C, going lower tonight even, I'd have to research but I believe this is the coldest I've been through in my 5 decades of existence.

Chilly.PNG

@emoga ummm you can have your Canadian weather back!!! My house is popping and creaking from the cold, kind of freaky to say the least.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Good Golly that's cold. It is a full 50F warmer just 2.5 states below you. My windsheild washer fluid is only good to -20F. :oops:

Prestone anti-freeze says: "Protection... from -37°C to 129°C." If it gets much colder tonight, you might have all sorts of repairs to make back at the shop for busted hoses, radiators, reservoirs, but hopefully not blocks.

Last edited:

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Good Golly that's cold. It is a full 50F warmer just 2.5 states below you. My windsheild washer fluid is only good to -20F. :oops:

Prestone anti-freeze says: "Protection... from -37°C to 129°C." If it gets much colder tonight, you might have all sorts of repairs to make back at the shop for busted hoses, radiators, reservoirs, but hopefully not blocks.

Yeah but it will be good money hehehe.
Looking at the upcoming forecast:
tonight's low is -32F/-36C and the windchill is going to be killer again,
Monday: high of 42F/5C chance of rain LOL no one can say I do not live in an extreme weather area.

Probably be no work again tomorrow, service truck gelled and a check engine light for the DEF system. Brand new truck with 9k miles on it...............

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Must be a Ford. :p

I don't imagine these temperatures happen often enough for your area to run 70/30 Glycol/water?

House popping/creaking would scare the, uhm, crap outta me.

Nope! it's a new Ram w/ a cummins!!!
Nope on the temps too, everyone still runs 50/50 around here. Last record was -27F in 1982, some of these youngsters here were still a twinkle in their parents eye. :laughing:
Popping and creaking, bah nothing to worry about. Just the house settling......... ah yeah that's it....settling.

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
Less than an hour for the TDP @ PG come get some primes!!!!!

@emoga , I see you had a premature prime shortly before the challenge started. (congrats though!!)

Howdy

Nov 12, 2017
For anyone interested in the Tour de Prime Challenge:

Challenge Thread

Primes Found/ Stats

Double Check/ Hard Luck Stats

Both @emoga and I have unfortunately made the DC/ HLS stats board.(I am 2nd place there, so am I the 2nd 2nd loser?? LOL) We need to flip it around and get on the other stats list!! (or others on the TeAM who are "playing" need to find a Prime) On the DC my machine ran, It downloaded it 14 secs later and was beaten by 12 secs uploading. Although my machine finished it 75.5 secs faster it was too little too late!!

Last edited:

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Basically slower machines on this are at a BIG disadvantage. One in one hundred come in as 1st. I'll be moving on to something else.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Not sure if I should switch over to PPS-MEGA and GFN-17-Mega to go for a mega prime or not. All or nothing approach.

Is anyone else running mega's?
I was running megas for the entire month of January. Assuming I come up with a regular-sized prime this month, I plan to switch to megas again.

Ken g6

Dec 11, 1999
Michael Goetz said:
Latest prime is a GFN-17-Mega.

Congrats to emoga!

Congrats(?) to Mattozan for being the DC.

Teachable moment courtesy of <name removed to protect the could-have-been-prime-finder>: If your computer is failing on every GPU task, either fix it or turn it off. The first task in this workunit was his, but the task errored out like the 3000+ other GPU tasks on this computer.

It will be about 12 hours or so before the processing on this prime is completed. (Technically, it's still a PRP right now.)
Congrats, @emoga! Arrgh, and I haven't even found a smaller prime yet!