President Obama! McCain What?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: Slick5150
Isn't it nice to see foreign citizens excited to have a U.S. leader coming to their country rather than figuring out new ways of burning his photo and scouting out locations to throw rocks from?

He is not a U.S. leader. He is a freshman senator.

Disingenuous and untrue, exactly how untrue depends on which definition of leader you wish to impute to Slick.

-Leader as part of the government/ruling class
We have 100 senators for 300 million people. I think that qualifies any of them as a "leader" of the country. Not to mention he is the favorite in the upcoming presidential election, won his party primary against an opponent who no one thought he could beat, and right now is the de facto head of the DNC.

-Leader as a person inspiring a large nation-wide following
Can anyone seriously question this?

What exactly is your criteria for being considered a leader, based on any definition?

He is 1/100th of 1/2 of 1/3rd of our government. He is as much a US leader as Ron Paul or David Vitter.
over 200,000 came out to see him in Berlin.

I wonder if McCain can draw those numbers?

Goes to show being a freshman senator or being a senior senator means jack sh!t in the arena of public opinion.

Sure doesn't. Eminem can get just as many people to PAY to see him. I wouldn't call him a US leader either even if he was a freshman senator at the same time.

He is still 1/100th of 1/2 of 1/3rd regardless of how many people show up. He hasn't won yet and getting cocky tends to turn people off.
wow!! do you often go out and buy apples when you want oranges much?
Cut him some slack, he obviously doesn't have much to work with.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Nice to see the usual cadre of mouth-breathing, UN-hating, Euro-hating, knuckle-draggers chiming in on the issue. We really value your input!

Not.

:roll:

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

Sure doesn't. Eminem can get just as many people to PAY to see him. I wouldn't call him a US leader either even if he was a freshman senator at the same time.

He is still 1/100th of 1/2 of 1/3rd regardless of how many people show up. He hasn't won yet and getting cocky tends to turn people off.
wow!! do you go out and buy apples when you want oranges much?

So any freshman Senator that draws a big crowd in a foreign country should be called and treated as a "US leader"?

Does the size of the foreign crowd determine how much of a US leader you are? Does the nationality figure into that as well?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: JD50

Speaking of bumbling fools

does he unconsciously try to put a cigarette to his mouth?

Originally posted by: Robor

IIRC I don't think he was any less a bumbling fool in 2000. Either way, he was proven and incompetent bumbling fool between then and 2004 yet ~50% of the voters chose to reward him with another term. Doesn't make sense to me and when asked I just answer, 'Don't ask me, I didn't vote for him either time'.

i'm talking policy.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

So any freshman Senator that draws a big crowd in a foreign country should be called and treated as a "US leader"?

Does the size of the foreign crowd determine how much of a US leader you are? Does the nationality figure into that as well?

I think any freshman senator who is a candidate to be the next President of the USA should be yes. I think any candidate is immediately elevated to a leadership role as far as public opinion is concerned...

Are there other freshman senators that are POTUS candidates that aren't getting the same treatment?

I think the size of the crowd gauges how popular that person is. I don't think McCain or Hillary could draw such a large crowd.

Obama went on his foreign trip as a leading candidate for POTUS. He received the appropriate treatment from foreign dignitaries (and foreign peoples too.) So I guess whether or not you think it was appropriate to be treated as a leader doesn't really matter much if foreign Leaders are willing to treat him as such.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: JD50

Speaking of bumbling fools

does he unconsciously try to put a cigarette to his mouth?

Originally posted by: Robor

IIRC I don't think he was any less a bumbling fool in 2000. Either way, he was proven and incompetent bumbling fool between then and 2004 yet ~50% of the voters chose to reward him with another term. Doesn't make sense to me and when asked I just answer, 'Don't ask me, I didn't vote for him either time'.

i'm talking policy.

His left hand couldn't take it anymore and it was trying to cover up his mouth.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

I think any freshman senator who is a candidate to be the next President of the USA should be yes. I think any candidate is immediately elevated to a leadership role as far as public opinion is concerned...

Are there other freshman senators that are POTUS candidates that aren't getting the same treatment?

I think the size of the crowd gauges how popular that person is. I don't think McCain or Hillary could draw such a large crowd.

Obama went on his foreign trip as a leading candidate for POTUS. He received the appropriate treatment from foreign dignitaries (and foreign peoples too.) So I guess whether or not you think it was appropriate to be treated as a leader doesn't really matter much if foreign Leaders are willing to treat him as such.

I never said that he was treated wrongly. He is a candidate to be the next leader of the US and should be treated as such.

M point is that he is not yet a US leader as he was called earlier in this thread.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

He wasn't there as a candidate he was a citizen of the world?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

I never said that he was treated wrongly. He is a candidate to be the next leader of the US and should be treated as such.

M point is that he is not yet a US leader as he was called earlier in this thread.

A candidate for POTUS is usually treated like a leader. He/She definitely takes on a leadership role within his or her party. He/She is treated like a leader by foreign governments. The media follows him/her around like a leader. The general public definitely treats him/her like a leader.

But its not ok to "call" him/her a US leader?

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Budmantom

He wasn't there as a candidate he was a citizen of the world?
what- do you want a ribbon for your cleverness?

:ribbon;

If I were you I'd go ask some of the 200,000 people that were there why they bothered to show up and listen to just your average American know-it-all citizen.

Playing on Obama's words....yeah that's cute!

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

A candidate for POTUS is usually treated like a leader. He/She definitely takes on a leadership role within his or her party. He/She is treated like a leader by foreign governments. The media follows him/her around like a leader. The general public definitely treats him/her like a leader.

NO ITS NOT OK. Until an election has taken place he is not a US leader. Period. Like it or not but thats the way our system works.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

If I were you I'd go ask some of the 200,000 people that were there why they bothered to show up and listen to just your average American know-it-all citizen.

Finally a bit of recognition :)

I spoke with some of the 82+million Germans that didn't bother to go and they were outraged that this little hypocrite comes into Germany and speaks English ;)

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

NO ITS NOT OK. Until an election has taken place he is not a US leader. Period. Like it or not but thats the way our system works.

QFF

Quote For FAIL! j/k

:p

that's your opinion bud. But if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... :D

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

I spoke with some of the 82+million Germans that didn't bother to go and they were outraged that this little hypocrite comes into Germany and speaks English ;)

HA!!

you got me. :laugh:

I guess he could have said 'Ich bin ein Berliner' but I believe some other famous US Leader once said that before... :p

wouldn't want to plagerize or anything...

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002

HA!!

you got me. :laugh:

I guess he could have said 'Ich bin ein Berliner' but I believe some other famous US Leader once said that before... :p

wouldn't want to plagerize or anything...

:beer: