President Obama endorses Hillary Clinton

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Obama said there was no political influence on the investigation. He wouldn't lie.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There was never a chance of an indictment in the first place.

You missed the script. If she's indicted that's proof that she's corrupt. If she's not indicted that's proof that both her and Obama are corrupt. Under no circumstances do conservatives consider that they were wrong.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
c0XP9V.png

heh
Hahaha.

edit: I don't see this tweet on his page.

Last edited:

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
I'm not saying Obama is influencing the investigation, I'm saying the investigation is influencing Obama.

he's a cautious guy, I can't see him endorsing Clinton without first putting out feelers to the FBI to see if that's a good idea or not... if he got a yellow light from the FBI, he could have come out saying he was going to stay neutral until the convention, or he could have given a merely perfunctory endorsement rather than a whole-hearted one.

/tinfoil

https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog#today

11:15 AM
The President meets with Senator Bernie Sanders
Oval Office
Closed Press

[...]

3:25 PM
The President meets with Attorney General Lynch
Oval Office
Closed Press

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Phew, I'm glad the President is "in the know" for what his employees might do while under his command. Thanks for clarifying his role in the e-mail "investigation".
I think that what they're saying is that before making decisions, Obama isn't really one to shoot from the hip - he weighs the evidence before making a decision. That doesn't mean he knows what ever person is doing - but he will find out what people know, if their information could have a significant impact on the decision he makes.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Hillary would probably suffer greatly for much less though. A mere indictment that where she isn't actually found guilty for anything afterwards (or accepting any pleas) would still hurt pretty badly.

I doubt she will get an indictment. She will probably get something equivalent to a formal complaint and the policies will be updated. Petraeus actively told someone who did not have clearance classified information. Hillary set up a server where classified information may be passed in a possibly unsecured way. There is no evidence that classified information was passed to an unauthorized person nor is there evidence that an unauthorized person breached her servers. In a lot of cases the information was only classified during the investigation, after she sent it. I believe there are only a handful of instances where classified information was passed through the server to a person authorized to see it.

IMO is the server conformed to whatever encryption standards the State Department requires then it was mostly an act of guile on Hillary's part. A show of her willingness to hide information from public accountability that ultimately did far more harm than good to her image.

That is why this is most likely a breach of policy, but not a criminal act. We will see. More could come to light.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
IMO is the server conformed to whatever encryption standards the State Department requires then it was mostly an act of guile on Hillary's part. A show of her willingness to hide information from public accountability that ultimately did far more harm than good to her image.

That is why this is most likely a breach of policy, but not a criminal act. We will see. More could come to light.
Isn't deliberately avoiding FOIA requests a violation of law?

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
What is the big deal about Hilary using private email server again? I don't get the big fuss. I use gov email everyday, and if World Peace depends on it, I would totally switch to a private server too.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
Isn't deliberately avoiding FOIA requests a violation of law?

It would depend on the legalese. I'm certainly not an expert in that area. I'm sure we will find out eventually. Her using the servers to reduce transparency would be the obvious reason, but, as we know, proving what is obvious is often difficult in court lol

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I doubt she will get an indictment. She will probably get something equivalent to a formal complaint and the policies will be updated. Petraeus actively told someone who did not have clearance classified information. Hillary set up a server where classified information may be passed in a possibly unsecured way. There is no evidence that classified information was passed to an unauthorized person nor is there evidence that an unauthorized person breached her servers. In a lot of cases the information was only classified during the investigation, after she sent it. I believe there are only a handful of instances where classified information was passed through the server to a person authorized to see it.

I don't think she'll be indicted, but I also don't think that the Patreus case outcome really supports that one way or the other.

I would argue that the server administrator Bryan Pagliano was not properly authorized as he lacked necessary security clearance. In some respect the e-mail contents were "passed" to him, or at least easily available to him without any oversight that I know of.

It may have not been encrypted initially: http://fortune.com/2015/03/11/hillary-clinton-email-unsecure/

In my eyes, what the incident most suggests to me is that Hillary is a control freak - which probably sounds pretty innocuous or even desirable for a POTUS but I have some issue with it. That and she seems to think she's above the rules. Wanting to keep secrets from the government/public is at least a possibility.

The other thing I think damaged her image in this debacle is how much it looks like she said untruthful or misleading things in response to initial investigation. And suggesting that she's been exhaustively overclassified in light of dozens of messages deemed Top Secret. I could see a lot of stuff being conservatively classified a notch or two higher than they should be, but saying that Top Secret shouldn't be classified at all is a really bold claim that suggests huge incompetence or malfeasance in the classification board. Or that she was poorly qualified in part of her role as Secretary of State. Or that she really knew some of the e-mails were sensitive and didn't care. That last one really strikes me as the most realistic.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
I completely agree that she mishandled the story. Her hand waving away the issue saying she didn't know what wiping the hard drive was. Really dumb. IMO if she would have owned up to it and said she was misinformed on the policy or she cut corners or whatever it would have been much better for her at this point. Playing dumb and belittling the concerns just added fuel to the fire.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I completely agree that she mishandled the story. Her hand waving away the issue saying she didn't know what wiping the hard drive was. Really dumb. IMO if she would have owned up to it and said she was misinformed on the policy or she cut corners or whatever it would have been much better for her at this point. Playing dumb and belittling the concerns just added fuel to the fire.
I couldn't agree more. She's still lying about it though.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012

I kind of feel like the way she denies things, spins, and refuses to admit fault or error is a lot like Trump :/

She just doesn't look as foolish while doing it.

openwheel

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2012
This whole emailing thing is so petty. So petty.

Come on Republicans, let's bury her with some racist comments.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I kind of feel like the way she denies things, spins, and refuses to admit fault or error is a lot like Trump :/

She just doesn't look as foolish while doing it.

You know she admitted wrong doing already right?

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
You know she admitted wrong doing already right?

I didn't mean to say that she never admits it, she eventually does after it's really, really blatant. Usually in a pretty mild way and with a "but" appended to it. Like how she admitted she was wrong about the Iraq War vote.. in like 2014.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I didn't mean to say that she never admits it, she eventually does after it's really, really blatant. Usually in a pretty mild way and with a "but" appended to it. Like how she admitted she was wrong about the Iraq War vote.. in like 2014.

You seem to have a habit of needing to correct what you really meant to say.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
You seem to have a habit of needing to correct what you really meant to say.

And you just went from saying I must be new here to saying I must have a habit in my posts.

Hillary has a habit of not admitting fault or error when confronted with things upfront. I didn't say she refuses to ever admit them later and I didn't intend to imply that. Bui I can see how it'd be interpreted that way.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
And you just went from saying I must be new here to saying I must have a habit in my posts.

Hillary has a habit of not admitting fault or error when confronted with things upfront. I didn't say she refuses to ever admit them later and I didn't intend to imply that. Bui I can see how it'd be interpreted that way.

Are you buckshats brother?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm not saying Obama is influencing the investigation, I'm saying the investigation is influencing Obama.

he's a cautious guy, I can't see him endorsing Clinton without first putting out feelers to the FBI to see if that's a good idea or not... if he got a yellow light from the FBI, he could have come out saying he was going to stay neutral until the convention, or he could have given a merely perfunctory endorsement rather than a whole-hearted one.

As I've said before, I'm sure Obama has been apprised of the FBI investigation all along the way. It's not like he woke up yesterday & decided he should probably call Comey before saying anything.

Coming out for either contender before the winner was certain would have been foolish & counter productive.

After Tuesday, Bernie could win every remaining pledged delegate & not catch Hillary. Not even come close. Her lead in votes & pledged delegates is so huge that the super delegates won't go against her, obviously. She only needs 180 of them, maybe less, out of a total of 715.