President Bush: Iraqi Insurgents "Desperate"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shelly21

Diamond Member
May 28, 2002
Originally posted by: AAman
those 'desperate' terrorists just shot down the 2nd chopper in a week,

I love how the pentagon calls those 'desperate' guys 'increasingly sophisticated'

this is a CF of enormous dimensions, screw the pentagon for failing to win the war
as they declared victory and ignored reality (some of my friends, and the guy in my classes
got call up orders for Iraq, guy in my class is prob headed for the Sunni triangle).

Well, what should we do then? Pull out? That would invite more attacks like Viet-Nam. DOD should sent in more troops. The job is not done yet, we declared the war over too soon.

Iraq is going to be bad regardless, and I think that's the only way to solve it. Oh yeah, and asking UN or Other nations to contribute, not just money, or lip service we need troops.

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Whitling
This thread started out with "The President says they're desperate." All kidding aside, true story. The last time I read that line was in the Stars and Stripes in Viet Nam. Stars and Stripes is a military paper. This would have had to have been in about 1967. General Westmoreland had 10,000 troops out looking for a three man rocket team that was rocketing Saigon. He said that the move of rocketing Saigon showed how desperate they were. You guys remember how the Viet Nam war turned out, right? This one will be the same. We'll set up a pest hole government, declare the job done and leave. Business as usual will then resume in Iraq. Just minus a few billion dollars and a few thousand people.

Its Vietnam not Viet Nam. :D

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
Bush is the only one desperate. Desperate to get out of this mess he made.

Has the US really become that arroagant that they actually believe that a handful of Ba'athist and foreign troublemakers are the only ones attacking them? Did they really think the Republican Guard just ran home to momma and everyone likes them? Saddam integrated his military into the population and is now waging a guerrilla war... mission accomplished LOL, the war just begun.
Saddam will win in the end, one way or another Saddam will win.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
VioletAura. Alas, sad but too true. A western power in the modern world cannot maintain a military action in a country that does not want the western power there. The luxury of simply exterminating a people until they capitulate -- a luxury that was available as we settled this country -- is simply not available any more.