Presario sr1610nx or sr1710nx Minitower $125 AR or FAR (w/AOL)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dalfollo

Jan 10, 2001
hans,

I would like to know where you heard/read info on the BIOS replacement...I have the SR1610NX from the Office Max $180 deal several weeks ago, and the MB has several differences with the one you linked to...

I am very interested in gaining control over the MB, and would love to read more...thanks...

jburnham

Oct 9, 2001
Norwalk, CT - 21 SR1710NX in stock. I got one. I think they dropped the price of the 1710nx even more than I was expecting - out the door price of $397 with $250 in rebates. I picked a couple up from Staples last week thinking this deal would never, ever - ever - go through.

percboy

Apr 5, 2000
Anyone having trouble submitting their rebate on-line? ( erebates.compusa.com )?
Says: "date must be between 10-25-2005 and 1-14-2006" WTF????

blastmad

Oct 1, 2004
Scored one 1710 ... 375+tax - 250 rebates
good stuff thx!!!!!!!

oh NYC 37th Street CompUSA SOLD OUT
and 57Th and Broadway CompUSA SOLD OUT when i was there

THRILLHOv

Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: dalfollo
hans,

I would like to know where you heard/read info on the BIOS replacement...I have the SR1610NX from the Office Max $180 deal several weeks ago, and the MB has several differences with the one you linked to...

I am very interested in gaining control over the MB, and would love to read more...thanks...

ditto

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
Westminister, CO store was sold out in 15 minutes. Scored one for myself, one for inlaws. Parents scored one at Boulder, CO. That store was not sold out when I left.

Machine is not too bad. *4* sdram slots. Nice and quiet. Unbelievably slow out of the box -- combination of 256 meg and about 500 megs worth of running garbageware.

Power supply is a 250 watt Delta, so will probably not support a video card. 14 amps on the 12v rail is what the sticker says. Asus board confirmed, asus heatsink fan.

More reviews once I have a chance to put in some RAM and de-crapware the install.

Update: after uninstalling crapware, turning off system restore and other performance tuning, the machine is still an utter dog. Appears more sluggish than a 800 mhz T-bird the machine replaced. Time to run some benchmarks to see where the trouble lies.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
went and got my rebuy on

they had no 1710s when i got there, which was a little bit after opening due to street closers (marathon today)

HomeAppraiser

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2005
Any one know what is the cost to add the Compaq FS7600 17" CRT monitor? How about HPs 17" or 19" LCD. There should be a $50 Compaq/HP monitor purchased with PC rebate right?

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: ScrapSilicon
Originally posted by: uhohs
how do the msi and asus motherboard's compare?

about the same ..the asus is in the 1611nx as well as the 1710nx ..the msi is in the 1610nx ..thanks hans007 for the above info on bios chips :D

well i know for a fact that the msi ones you can do this bios swap trick.

you do have to physically remove the bios. i am not sure about the asus ones but its likely the same if there is an exact equivalent board on asus site (though its unlikely as asus makes a lot of custom boards for hp/compaq... the company my dad works for does some of the assembly on some machines)

like you cannot just flash an msi bios onto the msi ones. there is some sort of software lock in place that checks (unless you could get some sort of force flasher than the normal award stuff).

i think compaq is switching over to asus because asus won the contract to manufacture their cmoputers and before it was done by other companies. or it might jsut be some models.

but yeah... the msi one the bios swap trick should work. also when i was in college i worked at the factory one summer, when they did use a standard board like a k7m you could swap the asus bios too. like... as long as it is the same model you can get a nwe chip, i think it is $10 or so from msi just say you did a bad flash and they'll send it. i've heard of this being done on the previous model compaqs that use the MSI rs480m2-il (it was the 130nm version of the rs482m2-il whcih is 110nm)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
My CompUSA was sold out of 1710's but they offered to do a "pre-buy" and guaranteed that I would qualify for the rebates. So I paid for it today, it should arrive in a few days, I go pick it up along with the rebate forms.

fishhawk

Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: RossMAN
My CompUSA was sold out of 1710's but they offered to do a "pre-buy" and guaranteed that I would qualify for the rebates. So I paid for it today, it should arrive in a few days, I go pick it up along with the rebate forms.
Same pre-buy in North Austin, TX. However, the rebate forms all printed out, and they gave them to me. They couldn't tell me when the machine would come in, however. Hopefully, not too long, since the $200 rebate has to be postmarked by 2/6 (but doesn't require a UPC, so I guess I could send it in now). The $50 rebate requires the original UPC, and has to be mailed 45 days from purchase.

OcFerris

Aug 29, 2000
Update: after uninstalling crapware, turning off system restore and other performance tuning, the machine is still an utter dog. Appears more sluggish than a 800 mhz T-bird the machine replaced. Time to run some benchmarks to see where the trouble lies.

Picked up a 1710 at Staples last week. Make sure the Power Options are set to "Desktop". Mine was set to "Energy Star" which cut the 2Ghz processor down to 900Mhz! :Q

xSeongminx

Aug 20, 2004
Got one at the Tacoma Compusa. It comes out to 125$+tax... BTW, this cpu (3400) has 256k cache (this is the socket 939, not 754).

Greg04

Golden Member
Jun 11, 2004
Got the last one in Wilmington DE, what's up with no WINDOWS CD?

THat makes life tough when you have to do a cleansweep install...

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: fishhawk
Same pre-buy in North Austin, TX. However, the rebate forms all printed out, and they gave them to me. They couldn't tell me when the machine would come in, however. Hopefully, not too long, since the $200 rebate has to be postmarked by 2/6 (but doesn't require a UPC, so I guess I could send it in now). The $50 rebate requires the original UPC, and has to be mailed 45 days from purchase.

I didn't receive my rebate forms. They said when I pick it up next week I'll get them.

Sep 30, 2005
Only in Utah... the deal was Jan 14-15 (as opposed to Jan 15-16 for all others). The CompUSA stores in Salt Lake City were all "sold out" Sat morning....blahhh. No offer for any "pre-buy" deal (or shouldn't it be "post-buy"?). Maybe next time I will try to be faster off the mark... thx

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

I didn't receive my rebate forms. They said when I pick it up next week I'll get them.

I'd print them out now, especially since the $200 rebate is only valid for today and tomorrow. If they don't have them for you next week and they have removed them from online, you'll be prepared.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: allisolm

I'd print them out now, especially since the $200 rebate is only valid for today and tomorrow. If they don't have them for you next week and they have removed them from online, you'll be prepared.

Already saved to my hard drive, I have the managers names who GUARANTEED I would be approved for the rebates.

Thank you for the tip :)

emergent1

Jan 15, 2006
Got one in Glen Burnie, MD. Gotta love the scavengers in Baltimore/D.C area :). I'm sticking an extra PNY 512 ($40 AR @ CompUSA or Staples - love easy rebates) since it's almost a crime to ship an XP system w/256...

Some notes and Q's:
-------------------------
[*] It should be a Socket 939 proc w/256KB of cache (ignore what the label says)
[*] Call the store or walk in to Customer Service and have them check inventory.
That's their job. I've been burned enough times to check a store before a morning camp-out out for good deals. In this case, the 6 CompUSA stores in a ~30mi. radius were out of the 1610 and only 3 had the 1710 version (which the employee told me about the night before). Always best to check ahead and plan accordingly...
[*] I'd like to buy another one, but no CompUSA store around is offering any sort of pre-buy. What determines if the store will let you get 'nothing for something' and then let you know when you can pick up what you bought on paper? I'm guessing it's based on what their regional warehouse may expect to have?