Prediction: G.O.P. will not win another presidential election until 2024 or later.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Here's a question for you.. WHICH candidate do you see getting enough independents and democrats? Do you even see one in the current field?
Hillary - she needs far fewer independents. Among the Pubbies, I really don't see any standouts. Kasich maybe - he embraced Obamacare and accepted the Medicaid expansion rather than following the official party line and so should be much less toxic than the rest of the clown car - but I see no plausible scenario where he is the nominee. I really think this election will be strictly about Hillary and whether or not enough independents remain ignorant of her actions and/or embrace them as the lesser evil. To that end, the more she delays response and the less she says, the better off she'll be.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
I'm a registered Republican and I cannot imagine Trump being elected. Assuming Hillary doesn't screw up beyond the press' ability to ignore or fix, she will be the nominee, which coupled with their hate of Trump is going to make the bloodiest general election battle ever. (Well, post-War.) Also, the FoxNews wing of the Republican Party also hates Trump, and they and the GOP establishment will likely prefer a President Clinton to a President Trump. Right now the media wing of the Democrat Party is largely giving Trump a pass because they think he is the easiest to defeat, but assuming he is the nominee you'll see historic levels of hate.

Being a registered Republican, I can understand why you'd have so much trouble understanding this, but Fox doesnt hate Trump. The establishment doesnt hate Trump. They have no reason to hate Trump. It is too early to tell for sure, but Trump will most likely take on the same neocon war hawk advisors that previous administrations used. Even if he does manage to cut taxes, his loophole closings will not close the budget hole. And he most likely will not do anything to actually fix the broken healthcare system so the deficit will continue to explode in that regard as well. These people love deficits as much as they love war. They dont care about the petty squabbles you see on tv, that too makes them money.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Totally naive. First of all Trump is most likely going to win. You seriously underestimate the amount of people who dismiss our electoral system as the farce it is, and would never vote for a McObomnarey, but might actually show up and vote for Trump just to stick their middle finger up to the system. Barring the eating of a baby on live tv, Trump wins in a frickin enormous landslide.

So you're predicting the South Park scenario? Everyone is going along with the joke until suddenly he's getting sworn in?

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
The Republican Party can't afford not to back Trump, because they have nobody else that can rally the party to the polls with Trumps numbers. Make no mistake about it, Trump is more of a mass media personality now than Ronald Regan ever was, and that same media savvy certainly helped put Regan in public office, multiple times. Another point about Regan was, most people felt they could trust him. And I think most people trust Trump enough to elect him over another Democrat with the same worn out old campaign platform like Hillary uses.

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
It's been a long slow march but we are finally seeing the fruits of the rights labor.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/27/it_...ans_now_run_the_gop_and_no_one_can_stop_them/

After reading this link, it is obviously NOT some random happy coincidence that the Pew Foundation of Trusts along with the Pew Research Center were also started in 1948, as a means to an end to spend large sums of privately donated money "charitably" in order to covertly subvert, control, manipulate and influence public opinion (and thereby the government) towards a more religiously conservative and business friendly agenda.

Which is the exact opposite meaning of "nonpartisan", unless in Bizzaro World you can make up any definition for any word you want to and use it to actively promote your "charitable foundations".

See my recent post about this HERE:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37733090&postcount=26

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
After reading this link, it is obviously NOT some random happy coincidence that the Pew Foundation of Trusts along with the Pew Research Center were also started in 1948, as a means to an end to spend large sums of privately donated money "charitably" in order to covertly subvert, control, manipulate and influence public opinion (and thereby the government) towards a more religiously conservative and business friendly agenda.

Which is the exact opposite meaning of "nonpartisan", unless in Bizzaro World you can make up any definition for any word you want to and use it to actively promote your "charitable foundations".

See my recent post about this HERE:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37733090&postcount=26
Dude, step away from the bong. That article was so foamy it could clean your clothing just by reading it. It's Salon, which is basically The Onion except the people writing it don't realize they are being funny. The Pew Charitable Trusts are generally run by leftists.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Totally naive. First of all Trump is most likely going to win. You seriously underestimate the amount of people who dismiss our electoral system as the farce it is, and would never vote for a McObomnarey, but might actually show up and vote for Trump just to stick their middle finger up to the system. Barring the eating of a baby on live tv, Trump wins in a frickin enormous landslide.

That being said, it does not fix the party. But the party is totally broken. It is good that this is happening. Because the neocon filth needs to be purged. The trilateral filth needs to be purged. The CFR filth needs to be purged. The insane warmongering needs to be purged. If any of that will actually happen remains to be seen.

Now that's hilarious.

Trump might be the nominee. Might.

In the general, he loses to a cinder block.

Please proceed, Republican base.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I think saying that the republican candidate for POTUS cannot win in the next couple of elections is false.

There is so much at stake this upcoming election that the ones who support the republican party will use every tool at their disposal to ensure the democratic candidate is defeated. They will spend whatever amount of money they can get away with... (which thanks to superPACs isn't very limited at all) because if the republican candidate wins this election and/or perhaps the one in 2020 then all that money spent (however many billions it is) will have been a worthwhile investment.

It's because of one thing a President can do that President Obama has not had a chance and will likely not have a chance to do before his 2nd term ends.

I'm sure that people will see what this is since it is a way the President can influence the country long after he has left office.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I think saying that the republican candidate for POTUS cannot win in the next couple of elections is false.

There is so much at stake this upcoming election that the ones who support the republican party will use every tool at their disposal to ensure the democratic candidate is defeated. They will spend whatever amount of money they can get away with... (which thanks to superPACs isn't very limited at all) because if the republican candidate wins this election and/or perhaps the one in 2020 then all that money spent (however many billions it is) will have been a worthwhile investment.

It's because of one thing a President can do that President Obama has not had a chance and will likely not have a chance to do before his 2nd term ends.

I'm sure that people will see what this is since it is a way the President can influence the country long after he has left office.

Should Clinton get elected, the betting in Vegas is the first place I'm going to check out for which Conservative on the USSC is the odds on favorite to die with gavel in hand rather than give Clinton the satisfaction.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011

There it is. The money shot. I was able to say this over 14 months ago, before a single vote was cast, because I know my country. Say what you will about Trump, but just keep in mind what it says about you if you couldnt see this coming.

Feb 16, 2005
Say what you will, but the part is in a shambles with no solid direction and fringe groups who cannot arrive to a consensus on anything but obstructionism. Their only useful tool is abrasiveness with those who disagree. Whether it's coming from the pundits or the candidates, it is their only tactic. It may attract their devout followers but it drives away the general public.

This combined with more minorities and millennials entering the voting booths and the already narrow margins of victory in key states such as Ohio and Florida which yield a combined worth of 47 electoral votes are going to make it difficult for any G.O.P candidate to win a general election.

I figure that it will take about 10 years for them to shake this reputation.

Feel free to bookmark this post :)
really wish you were right. Oh well.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
There it is. The money shot. I was able to say this over 14 months ago, before a single vote was cast, because I know my country. Say what you will about Trump, but just keep in mind what it says about you if you couldnt see this coming.
Nailed it and a perfect bump. Well played.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Trump barely got across the line but he did win. However he came in 2nd in the popular vote so I question how well you really know your country.

But kudos I guess.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Trump barely got across the line but he did win. However he came in 2nd in the popular vote so I question how well you really know your country.

But kudos I guess.
Trump won the votes that were most contested, the popular vote means nothing. He's going to end up with 306 EC votes. Don't be a sore loser, Trump won and won fairly convincingly.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Don't be a sore loser

Stop projecting how you would behave. Trump was elected, I hope his policies bring the success to the country he claims they will. Unlike conservatives 8 years ago I don't want the man to fail (I expect that he will but that is different). If he fails then our country suffers. So good luck to him.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Trump won the votes that were most contested, the popular vote means nothing. He's going to end up with 306 EC votes. Don't be a sore loser, Trump won and won fairly convincingly.

Get real. Just 1/100 voters in WI, MI, and PA could have tilted the election to Broom Hilda.He barely got by in the EC. The EC, btw, was a compromise to keep the interests of the elite (prior to crony corporatism, it was the evil institution of slavery). .

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Get real. Just 1/100 voters in WI, MI, and PA could have tilted the election to Broom Hilda.He barely got by in the EC. The EC, btw, was a compromise to keep the interests of the elite (prior to crony corporatism, it was the evil institution of slavery). .
Who will be sworn in on January 20th?

gamervivek

Jan 17, 2011
Trump was a black swan and while it didn't turn out to be the bloodbath I had predicted earlier in the year, Clinton did get walloped comprehensively.

Comical to go back and read liberals going on about how she was going to win massively and turn states like Texas blue and that she's better off diverting her campaign money to other elections because her win is all but confirmed.