Pre-written (Fake) GI letters appearing in Newspapers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
From the NY Times

Fighting the War at Home

Published: October 15, 2003

Letters home from the war front are some of the revered aspects of history, a treasury of soldiers' impressions and firsthand narratives that hold a value apart from the individual lives put firmly on the battle line. It's all the more disturbing, then, that an apparently orchestrated campaign of letter writing has arisen among some of the American forces in Iraq to highlight what are alleged to be overlooked success stories. What amounts to a warmly worded form letter telling of open-armed welcomes and rebuilt infrastructure was printed by hometown newspapers in the mistaken belief that it was the individual composition of the undersigned soldier in Kirkuk, a relatively peaceful city in Iraq. According to the Gannett News Service, which uncovered the deception, one soldier said his sergeant had distributed the letters to the squad, while another traced his to an Army public affairs officer.

The susceptibility of local editors to the letter, in which each Private Everyman describes Iraqi children "in their broken English shouting, `Thank you, Mister,' " is understandable. But the misleading letter, uncovered by Gannett after it was published in 11 newspapers, coincides with the Bush administration's renewed program of defending the war in an ambitious speaking campaign across the nation. With polls registering rising public doubts, the president and his aides are claiming that the news media unfairly play up negative developments and ignore progress in Iraq.

The Pentagon denies that there is any sanctioned propaganda drive behind the five-paragraph letter, but one soldier told of speaking to a public affairs officer about what he thought would be a news release, then being surprised to hear he was being presented as a letter writer whose words had been published in a newspaper back home.

Firm endorsements of the letter's description of the situation in Kirkuk have since been re-registered by most of the soldiers who were supposed to have written letters, but that matters little to anyone who ever marched in the military command system. The Pentagon should nip the form-letter barrage and make sure it is not repeated, if only because it is so counterproductive. Fakery is the worst possible way to answer the public's rising demand for information about the true state of affairs in Iraq.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: BOBDN

Well asshole, I felt the need to post my moronic drivel in response to your moronic drivel insinuating I use recreational drugs when in point of fact your "leaders" - Rush and Bush - are apparently much more inclined to take the drug route to escape reality than I am. This could explain Bush's foreign policy. I don't know what the hell it can explain about Rush. Perhaps his flights of imagination while creating his separate reality radio show.
Ah yes, good old Bobby resorting to the name calling as well as his cognitively dissonant strawman. And all along we thought that you were only vying for entry into the idiot-of-the-year club.

Now explain to us what Rush has to do with scripted news releases. Begin.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
"Everything it said is dead accurate," the soldier said of the letter. We've done a really good job."

Using someone's name without their knowledge sounds like fraud to me.

But I'm sure you right wingers will find some way to defend fraud in the Republic Party's case.
rolleye.gif

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
"Everything it said is dead accurate," the soldier said of the letter. We've done a really good job."

But I'm sure you right wingers will find some way to defend fraud in the Republic Party's case.
rolleye.gif
This practice has been in place since at least early in the Reagan administration. Feel free to blast Bush II all you want. However, please include Bush I, Reagan and (*gasp*, it can't be!), Clinton in your goddam sophomoric whining. Otherwise, you do little more than exemplify your own subjective ignorance.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: burnedout

rolleye.gif
This practice has been in place since at least early in the Reagan administration. Feel free to blast Bush II all you want. However, please include Bush I, Reagan and (*gasp*, it can't be!), Clinton in your goddam sophomoric whining. Otherwise, you do little more than exemplify your own subjective ignorance.

Another bullsh!t policy started by Ronnie. What a surprise.

FRAUD.

Funny when soldiers were complaining about the lousy job Rumsfeld did in planning for the aftermath of the invasion they were silenced. Now the military commits fraud using the names of soldiers who had no knowledge about letters they didn't write - then gets their approval AFTER THE FACT and with the soldier's full knowledge of what happened to the soldiers who complained.

What else would you expect them to do? They had no choice but to support the fraud.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: burnedout

rolleye.gif

Another bullsh!t policy started by Ronnie. What a surprise.

FRAUD.

Funny when soldiers were complaining about the lousy job Rumsfeld did in planning for the aftermath of the invasion they were silenced. Now the military commits fraud using the names of soldiers who had no knowledge about letters they didn't write - then gets their approval AFTER THE FACT and with the soldier's full knowledge of what happened to the soldiers who complained.

What else would you expect them to do? They had no choice but to support the fraud.
The policy may have evolved during the Carter or Ford administrations.

Two links with further info about HTNR or HNR programs:

http://www.usafns.com/

http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/p360_3.pdf

<edit>Edited for clarificiation</edit>