Pre-written (Fake) GI letters appearing in Newspapers

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Perhaps as part of the administration's new "we're doing great in Iraq!" PR blitz, fake letters from military personnel are being planted in newspapers across the country:

Six soldiers contacted by USA Today said they did not know who wrote the letter but agreed with its message. A seventh soldier said he only learned of the existence of the letter when his father congratulated him for getting "such a good letter" published in his hometown paper.
link stolen from FARK.com

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Repost (although the other thread title isn't very obvious)
Link? I'm curious to read it, I scanned the first few of pages of threads and used search but came up empty.

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Should be interesting to watch the daily White House press briefings to see if this subject comes up.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
This sounds suspiciously similar to the Republic Party's effort last year to have letters printed in newspapers across the country supporting Bush's rush to war.

I'll try to find a link to the news article about it. I believe it was in the Boston Globe. Editors across the nation were furious at the fraud. The Republic Party site was offering prizes based on the number of form letters from their site members could get posted.

Same old party. Same old tricks.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
This is what you get if you Google "President Bush is demonstrating genuine leadership" even today.

What a fvcking disgrace. And people actually fall for this bullsh!t.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
They called it Astroturf.

The Republican "Team Leader" site offering prizes for people who got their form letters printed in newspapers across the country.

Sounds like they're at it again with these fake letters from US servicemen.

What a bunch of fvcking snakes.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Yep, they're still at it.

Here's a copy of an email the snakes just sent me after I signed up to be a "Team Leader."

October 13, 2003
Lost your password? Have it emailed to you

Dear ******,

Over the past few years, the Team Leader corps of volunteers has swelled to nearly 350,000. People from every state have come out in support of the Republican agenda and, more importantly in support of our President.

Now, it's time to show your true colors and work directly with his campaign.

By joining the Bush Team Leader program, you can keep in touch with the President's campaign, AND get the inside scoop straight from headquarters. The Bush program is similar to what you do now as a GOP Team Leader. You will be asked to:

write letters to the editor;
recruit new Team Leaders;
register new voters;
help get-out-the-vote next year.
By singing up you can help President Bush continue to put forth his positive agenda and grow his support from the grassroots up.

And don't worry! You'll still stay a part of the GOP Team Leader program. The RNC will continue to keep you informed of all the races in your state and the top contested races from around the country. Remember, you will continue to earn GOPoints by volunteering at campaigns.

Thank you in advance for helping the President and every American by volunteering today.

Sincerely,

Was this forwarded to you?

Get your own copy and start earning GOPoints today! Sign up here.

Encourage your Team to upgrade today | Unsubscribe

Action Center | My State | Bills/Legislation | My Issues | Policy Center | Share Intelligence | GOPoints | Outstanding Leader | Home
Need assistance? Click here. Copyright © 2003 Republican National Committee. Privacy Policy

Paid for by the Republican National Committee.
Not Authorized By Any Candidate Or Candidate Committee.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
> Astroturf

Interesting, and pathetic coming from the "party of character."

Newspapers alleged to have fallen for the spamsters include the Boston Globe, USA Today, the Dallas Morning News, the Albany Pilot, the Green Bay Press Gazette and several dozen others.

Microsoft did this during the antitrust trial with letters to newspapers, senators and congressmen, including at least one letter from a dead man.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
> Astroturf

Interesting, and pathetic coming from the "party of character."

Newspapers alleged to have fallen for the spamsters include the Boston Globe, USA Today, the Dallas Morning News, the Albany Pilot, the Green Bay Press Gazette and several dozen others.

Microsoft did this during the antitrust trial with letters to newspapers, senators and congressmen, including at least one letter from a dead man.

Lower than low. But what else would you expect from the Bush administration?

I'll just about GUARANTEE that anyone who reads one of these letters and Googles phrases from it will come up with the same result that was found last January. Newspapers across the country printing fake letters from GIs who have NO IDEA the letters even exist.

And all the while Americans reading their newspapers thinking our troops are taking the time to show their support for the administration that sent them half way around the world to risk their lives FOR NO REASON.

This absolutely makes my blood boil. And to think there are people right here on this forum and across our nation that will try to justify this type of fraud.

I wonder what possibly they have to gain by supporting these cowards, these frauds. :|

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
This practice has been in effect since at least the 80s. You'll have to ask Happy Puppy, Tripleshot or CaptKirk if they also had scripted releases during 'Nam. I've participated twice in scripted news releases while deployed. One was a Video News Release. Also was interviewed 4x; once by the Wall Street Journal. G-5 made sure I said the "correct" things on all but one of them.

Is the practice correct? No, it is a form of propaganda, and I'll leave it at that.

Originally posted by: BOBDN
This is what you get if you Google "President Bush is demonstrating genuine leadership" even today.

Still enjoying the latest recreational 'drug' of choice while posting, I see.

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
Eh, I'm still not over the "exposing-an-CIA-agent-for-revenge" thing yet. Come back when I have more outrage.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: burnedout
This practice has been in effect since at least the 80s. You'll have to ask Happy Puppy, Tripleshot or CaptKirk if they also had scripted releases during 'Nam. I've participated twice in scripted news releases while deployed. One was a Video News Release. Also was interviewed 4x; once by the Wall Street Journal. G-5 made sure I said the "correct" things on all but one of them.

Is the practice correct? No, it is a form of propaganda, and I'll leave it at that.

I'm fresh out of recreational drugs. With Bush on the wagon and Rush in rehab you may be barking up the wrong tree.

US foreign policy and the lies you believe as truth from your favorite radio host are likely more affected by the use of recreational drugs than my posts here.

But feel free to ignore the truth in this regard as you have in regards to Bush and Rush.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

I'm fresh out of recreational drugs. With Bush on the wagon and Rush in rehab you may be barking up the wrong tree.

US foreign policy and the lies you believe as truth from your favorite radio host are likely more affected by the use of recreational drugs than my posts here.

But feel free to ignore the truth in this regard as you have in regards to Bush and Rush.
Now tell us what your moronic drivel has to do with the topic of this thread. Begin.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

Now tell us what your moronic drivel has to do with the topic of this thread. Begin.

Well asshole, I felt the need to post my moronic drivel in response to your moronic drivel insinuating I use recreational drugs when in point of fact your "leaders" - Rush and Bush - are apparently much more inclined to take the drug route to escape reality than I am. This could explain Bush's foreign policy. I don't know what the hell it can explain about Rush. Perhaps his flights of imagination while creating his separate reality radio show.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
More GOP astroturf. They are claiming it was voluntary, but what would happen if a soldier voluntary wrote a letter criticizing the war and the administration, instead of praising.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: SuperTool
More GOP astroturf. They are claiming it was voluntary, but what would happen if a soldier voluntary wrote a letter criticizing the war and the administration, instead of praising.

Well that would be a violation of law and they would be court marshelled. However it was voluntary, they had the right to refuse to do it. Nothing would have happened if they refused to go along with the letters.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm

Well that would be a violation of law and they would be court marshelled. However it was voluntary, they had the right to refuse to do it. Nothing would have happened if they refused to go along with the letters.
At least one soldier claimed a forged letter was published in his hometown newsletter using his name without his knowledge or consent.

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002

Soldiers are free to oppose the war, military policies, US government policies, etc. They do it all the time in letters to Stars and stripes newspapers. What they cannot do is disobey orders or be disrespectful or personally criticize superior officers, including the Commander in Chief. During the Clinton administration, many soldiers and officers criticized the administration policies on military affairs and other issues, but they were, in general, careful not to directly criticize Clinton. The same practice is now going on, although it seems to a lesser extent relative to the Bush administration.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Has anyone noticed that positive news for the administration is reported, repeated, and cheered by FOXNews but less than flattering news (such as these form letters) is reported in passing without comment?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

I have seen alleged letters of disapproval from GIs, however the source is not very reliable.