Powercolor HD7970x2 pictured

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Imagine how much heat is being dumped in your case with 2 of those bad boys. Probably would have to open your case and just set a box fan blowing into it.

Feb 19, 2009
I dont think ppl who buy such expensive toys care about some heat in their case....

I guess AMD has no choice but go balls to walls, since NV came late and could beat the bar. Now they are late on their dual gpu, and would have to beat the competition else its pointless.

That red button is most likely AMD's turbo, punch it, 1.2ghz!

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
That card is begging for a backplate! No way around it, it will be a compute monster. Interested to see what the default clocks are and what OC headroom it has.

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
Jesus H Christ! What a beast... would never buy. It may make a good alternative to a space heater.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
I think the brands Powercolor, Visiontek, & Diamond are all one and the same or at the very leased they are all in bed with each other to some degree however I have nothing to back my opinion up on this one but my oh my do they ever look exactly the same. I will never by Powercolor product again purely based on they in fact they flooded the market with defective 6870 cards without sending a mass recall or at the very leased owning up to it.

You can't just say that without a reputable source. Otherwise nobody will listen to you.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
The only reasons I don't like Powercolor is that their reference cooling sucks and they have a 2 year warranty. Their RMA service also has a bad reputation.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I don't care what you think but the fact is I had a bum Powercolor card end of discussion and I could care less if you don't believe me is that clear enough for you troll.

You can get all defensive and call people names if you want, but you getting a bad card isn't flooding the market with defective cards.

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
You can get all defensive and call people names if you want, but you getting a bad card isn't flooding the market with defective cards.
Powercolor is cheap and jankey and at NCIX alone one member had 5 defective Powercolor cards and I had one and then called her quits. 6 bum cards between two people and a bunch of never ending open boxed returns that were apparently "factory reconditioned" warrant a bad rap for Powercolor and everyone knows Powercolor is a crap brand.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Powercolor is cheap and jankey and at NCIX alone one member had 5 defective Powercolor cards and I had one and then called her quits. 6 bum cards between two people and a bunch of never ending open boxed returns that were apparently "factory reconditioned" warrant a bad rap for Powercolor and everyone knows Powercolor is a crap brand.

One person got 5 defective cards? You do realize the odds of that? It's far more likely it was one defective member.

As far as the second part of your post. If NCIX was selling factory reconditioned cards as open box items, they're a really crappy retailer and you need to report them to your Governor General/Attorney General (not sure what the post is in Canada), because that is surely illegal.

Last edited:

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
One person got 5 defective cards? You do realize the odds of that? It's far more likely it was one defective member.

As far as the second part of your post. If NCIX was selling factory reconditioned cards as open box items, they're a really crappy retailer and you need to report them to your Governor General/Attorney General (not sure what the post is in Canada), because that is surely illegal.
What are you talking about NCIX is a great service Powercolor ummm ..... not so much.

Last edited:

GoatsOnGoats

Mar 24, 2012
If only it had proper outputs :/ a beast card limited to 4 displays? Which really would make it 3 since nobody games on 4. It's disappointing to say the least that manufacturers can't be reasonable and have proper outputs.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
If only it had proper outputs :/ a beast card limited to 4 displays? Which really would make it 3 since nobody games on 4. It's disappointing to say the least that manufacturers can't be reasonable and have proper outputs.

4 outputs is not enough? Really?

Do you intend on gaming on 6 monitors or what?