Potty Mouth May Get Jail Time

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: SearchMaster

Thread hijack:

There was a sleazy company a few years ago that offered some product or service for a nominal fee (say, $40), with a 100% money-back guarantee. When people would ask for their money back, they'd send a check with the payer being something like "American Pedophiliacs Association". Almost nobody cashed the checks :)

Are you sure this really happened? Or perhaps this came from an old joke, or even from a little movie called "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels"? :D

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
I received a parking ticket on my work truck today...$71.50. That is outrageous and BS.

If this guy walks I am going to pay this guy to send a check in to pay mine.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
That will teach him to speak his mind.
:roll: If he wanted to speak his mind, he could have written a well-worded letter to the appropriate authorities. He was trying to be a dick and it backfired on him, plain and simple.
i agree.

and most likely he won't be doing any jail time for being a dick. i see the ACLU is involved. :roll:

Funny, I didn't know being a dick is illegal. :confused: ;)

I can see the case for comtempt of court, but I can also see a defense that the memo line on the check is only for the benefit of the check writer, so is not addressed to the court.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Haha.. that'll teach him for being a smart-ass.

He had the balls to write a snarky little comment, then he should have the balls to pay for it.

Really, how dare he try and use those old thrown away American rights.
be freakin reasonable. freedom of speech does not give you the right to yell, "FIRE!" in a crowded building where there is none.
this guy was just a disrespectful dick who even admits what he said, "didn't solve anything."

you people who think freedom of speech gives you the right to say anything to anyone at anytime are wackjobs.

I disagree. There are clearly defined limits on our freedom of speech, mostly surrounding obscenities (foul language is not considered an obscenity in and of itself in most cases) fighting words (statements used to rile people up) etc. Yes it is illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater, however, that is far from being an apples to apples comparison with the OP. Additionally, businesses have more restrictions on their speech than do individuals. That being said, the right to say what we like even when it offends someone else is important. Not everyone has the same beliefs structure, so if we try to appease everyone we will be walking on egg shells all of the time. I really should like this to the market place of ideas as well, but I'm feeling lazy right now :(

Now don't get me wrong, this guy seems to lack even an iota of class, but I don't think there should be criminal reprocussions for that.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Haha.. that'll teach him for being a smart-ass.

He had the balls to write a snarky little comment, then he should have the balls to pay for it.

Really, how dare he try and use those old thrown away American rights.
be freakin reasonable. freedom of speech does not give you the right to yell, "FIRE!" in a crowded building where there is none.
this guy was just a disrespectful dick who even admits what he said, "didn't solve anything."

you people who think freedom of speech gives you the right to say anything to anyone at anytime are wackjobs.

Yelling "fire" harms others and becomes an action, rather than speech.

Calling a parking ticket a "bullsh!t money grab" in the "for" space of a check has no potential for harm to anyone.
yes, i addressed that above. i was exaggerating for effect, but still the last sentence of my post remains my opinion.

Just remember that your opinion is a double-edged sword and works both ways :)