Potty Mouth May Get Jail Time

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: cKGunslinger
Haha.. that'll teach him for being a smart-ass.

He had the balls to write a snarky little comment, then he should have the balls to pay for it.

Really, how dare he try and use those old thrown away American rights.
be freakin reasonable. freedom of speech does not give you the right to yell, "FIRE!" in a crowded building where there is none.
this guy was just a disrespectful dick who even admits what he said, "didn't solve anything."

you people who think freedom of speech gives you the right to say anything to anyone at anytime are wackjobs.

Apples and oranges are fun. Purposefully endangering people's lives by yelling fire when there isn't one is a far cry from calling a traffic infraction 'bullsh!t'

Civil Disobedience anyone?

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: QED

He had the balls to write a snarky little comment, then he should have the balls to pay for it.

be freakin reasonable. freedom of speech does not give you the right to yell, "FIRE!" in a crowded building where there is none.
this guy was just a disrespectful dick who even admits what he said, "didn't solve anything."

you people who think freedom of speech gives you the right to say anything to anyone at anytime are wackjobs.

Remember, it's of the utmost importance that our freedom to be passive-agressive jackasses with the vocabulary of an engraged pre-pubescent teenager not be abridged!!
well done then.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Platypus

Apples and oranges are fun. Purposefully endangering people's lives by yelling fire when there isn't one is a far cry from calling a traffic infraction 'bullsh!t'

read just my last line then. that's all i need to explain my position.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: DaiShan
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
That will teach him to speak his mind.
:roll: If he wanted to speak his mind, he could have written a well-worded letter to the appropriate authorities. He was trying to be a dick and it backfired on him, plain and simple.

Missed the day in civics class where the first ammendment was discussed huh? 100% protected speech. He'll walk on this. (it doesn't fall under any of the exclusions to freedom of speech as far as I can tell since the courts have long held that foul language != obscenity)

Also, it could be argued the memo line is for a brief reminder to the author of what the check was written for. It serves no other purpose AFAIK. The first ammendment will definitely cover this one though.

That said, the memo was immature and distasteful.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001

Yelling "fire" harms others and becomes an action, rather than speech.

Calling a parking ticket a "bullsh!t money grab" in the "for" space of a check has no potential for harm to anyone.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

Calling a parking ticket a "bullsh!t money grab" in the "for" space of a check has no potential for harm to anyone.
yes, i addressed that above. i was exaggerating for effect, but still the last sentence of my post remains my opinion.

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001

Isn't the world pretty boring living in black and white? You're wrapping every possible situation into polar categories. The first amendment DOES give me the right to do that. Tact, compassion and common sense dictate the proper course of action however.

Do I like the fact that I have to walk by abortion and gay protestors showing me pictures of dead babies and people with AIDS? No, but I do defend their right to say it.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
[be freakin reasonable. freedom of speech does not give you the right to yell, "FIRE!" in a crowded building where there is none.

But does this actually deserve this sort of attention? Really, it was his check he should be able to write whatever he wants on the memo line.

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
One thing that some of you seem to be forgetting here is that he's being charged with contempt of court. He wrote the check to the court and addressed it to them and sent it to them. You cannot address a court of law anyway you want and be protected by the First Amendment.

Edit: Typo

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Isn't the world pretty boring living in black and white? You're wrapping every possible situation into polar categories. The first amendment DOES give me the right to do that. Tact, compassion and common sense dictate the proper course of action however.

Do I like the fact that I have to walk by abortion and gay protestors showing me pictures of dead babies and people with AIDS? No, but I do defend their right to say it.
i have morals and principles that i live by. you want to call it black and white as an insult.

stop making me out as someone who is not supportive of freedom of speech and now you are adding that i might disdain the right to protest. i am not that kind of person.

this guy was out of line. there is a proper way to protest. he sought the wrong venue.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Thraxen
[be freakin reasonable. freedom of speech does not give you the right to yell, "FIRE!" in a crowded building where there is none.

But does this actually deserve this sort of attention? Really, it was his check he should be able to write whatever he wants on the memo line.
you still have accountability for what you write or say.

does this deserve attention... probably not, but like i said the guy won't do any time for it.
guaranteed.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
Originally posted by: montanafan
One thing that some of you seem to be forgetting here is that he's being charged with contempt of court. He wrote the check to the court and addressed it to them and sent it to them. You cannot address a court of law anyway you want and be protected by the First Amendment.

This pretty much summarized the situation.

By handing a check over the court, one could argue what he wrote on the check was the same as saying it out loud in court to the judge.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

By handing a check over the court, one could argue what he wrote on the check was the same as saying it out loud in court to the judge.

:thumbsup: That's what I said :)

I don't think the guy should get jail time - and I don't think he will. I think all setences for minor crimes should be replaced with large fines and/or community service. Tax cuts for the rest of us!

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. And that is exactly what he is claiming, I didn't know I couldn't park here (even though I had seen the signs before), so it's BS. Lock his ass up.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Unheard
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. And that is exactly what he is claiming, I didn't know I couldn't park here (even though I had seen the signs before), so it's BS. Lock his ass up.

He stated that the signs had been there before, but were gone when he got the ticket. If that is true it isn't unreasonable to think that the parking restrictions had been lifted and the signs removed. He may not have voiced his displeasure in the best manner, but I think he has a point.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
What a ridiculous waste of resources.

And to those who've advocated writing a letter, if you think it would've ended up somewhere other than the trash, you're smoking rocks.

HopJokey

Platinum Member
May 6, 2005
LOL. This article reminded me of an incident that happend to my roommate in college. He got a $30 parking ticket at a parking meter on campus and on the "for" field on the check he wrote "TAPS is Wack" (TAPS is the agency that hands out the tickets). Student Judical Affairs from the University promptly sent my roommate a warning letter saying they won't tollerate any foul language and would repremand him if it happend again.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Zysoclaplem
Originally posted by: JS80
only $10? in beverly hills that shvt is $45.

Be careful what you call it. Might go to jail. :roll:

I'm glad you have such a wonderful knee-jerk reaction.

Originally posted by: mugs

:thumbsup: That's what I said :)

I don't think the guy should get jail time - and I don't think he will. I think all setences for minor crimes should be replaced with large fines and/or community service. Tax cuts for the rest of us!

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
i wanna know the verdict of this... cuz I got some BS overnight parking ticket before.

I know, this is how the city makes money, it's either tax hikes of the mass or parking ticket of the unfortunate.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Amused

Yes it does.

It harms the people raping you for that BullSh!t money from hearing you say "Thank you Sir may I have another".

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
A good friend of mine wrote me a check for some stuff one time and I failed to read what he wrote in the notes section.

I remember the little teller girl snickering, and when I said "What?" she pointed out that it said "For: Oral sechs" at the bottom.

Luckily she knew my friend personally and knew he normally did this sorta stuff to people.

she was hot too.
Thread hijack:

There was a sleazy company a few years ago that offered some product or service for a nominal fee (say, $40), with a 100% money-back guarantee. When people would ask for their money back, they'd send a check with the payer being something like "American Pedophiliacs Association". Almost nobody cashed the checks :)