Pot legalized!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Good luck with that. Please keep count of the numerous violent crimes it's going to spawn the same way it did here in California. Growers shooting trespassers, armed break-ins and home invasions, violent armed robberies. Large tracts of land being used as farms with illegal water and pesticide/fertilizer used, neighbors being threatened by thug growers and an increase in auto accidents.

It'll be the end of the World as we know it!

Your comments cement your status as a truly fringe-whacked poster.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
How does this play out? I don't see the feds rolling over without a fight, but I don't know what they could actually do. Withholding all federal funds perhaps?

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Wasn't this the same argument when states began ending prohibition?

I'm pretty experienced with weed. I helped a neighbor that has prescriptions set up her own grow station and how to care, manicure etc. for best results, but there's no such thing as a free lunch. We had a huge increase in violent crimes and towards the end of growing season you see cars cruising and people sniffing. Good luck that it's better in Co.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
It'll be the end of the World as we know it!

Your comments cement your status as a truly fringe-whacked poster.

Look it up Jhhnn. It's no secret the problems we've had in northern California with it.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I live in a rural area, it was and still is a huge problem in our county. A mature and well manicured plant is worth thousands on the open market. I have no problems with people using it, I voted for it in California, but it has a cost, especially when it's still illegal federally.

What does it cost us to spray South America and arrest/deport illegals because it can't be legally grown by corporations who are already set up to grow (tobacco companies) and distribute?

How much money is going to violent cartels instead of our own people via a tax, much like on alcohol?

How much are we spending locking up non-violent pot offenders? What about on the idiot Police, prosecutors, and Prison Guard pensions who only exist to enforse those laws?

Legalization IS a Republican position.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
How does this play out? I don't see the feds rolling over without a fight, but I don't know what they could actually do. Withholding all federal funds perhaps?
People in Colorado see it kind of like Prohibition.

There's nothing really wrong with Pot... other than Government hates it when they meet up with happy people.

-John

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That's you're partisan interpretation on the matter. They will crack down on the measure through the court system and by withholding funding on federal grant money which hinges on states cooperating on the "War on Drugs".

Through the court system? How, exactly?

Structured the way it is, as a constitutional amendment, state & local authorities will be powerless to do anything other than enforce state law. That's why States have drug laws in the first place, because they can't enforce federal law, as your Arizona reference illustrates.

I really can't see the Obama Admin putting a beatdown on the states who legalize pot, either, given that we just helped them win the election. The rest of what you offer is just speculation.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Through the court system? How, exactly?

Structured the way it is, as a constitutional amendment, state & local authorities will be powerless to do anything other than enforce state law. That's why States have drug laws in the first place, because they can't enforce federal law, as your Arizona reference illustrates.

I really can't see the Obama Admin putting a beatdown on the states who legalize pot, either, given that we just helped them win the election. The rest of what you offer is just speculation.

You're completely ignoring prior history on how the Feds have gone after CA. You are also ignoring that this is his second term and that California helped him win his election the first time around and the result was a big time crackdown on medical pot in the state.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Well we'll see what happens. Taking on two states isn't going to be easy or popular for the administration. I hope they don't try to maintain this pseudo legal/illegal system that's been existing for years, where the feds selectively enforce the law and bully banks from participating in the payment system, etc...