Post your history with law enforcement here.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Ever get in trouble w/ the law? Post your stories here. Mine's mostly traffic related.

Most of this happened while I aws still in high school.

Got pulled over for 90 in a 65 zone, got let go cause the cop was on his way home and didn't have his pad of tickets.

Got pulled over for 70 in a 65 and actually got a ticket <- 2nd lamest ticket ever.

Got pulled over for "illegal left turn" cause my wheels crossed the end of the double yellow line of the street I was turning onto <- lamest ticket ever.

Got pulled over for 84 in a 75. Yeah, I was going 84, but it was rural Utah and there was no one around for miles. Oh well, paid the ticket.

Got pulled over in rural Kansas for passing in a no passing zone. Cop let me go cause It was like the first 10 feet of the no passing zone. I was trying to get around a truck before the road narrowed to one lane per direction.

Got pulled over for 86 in a 70, again in rural Kansas. Got a ticket. Paid the ticket. The cop was a dick though.

Got a ticket for 69 in a 50. The cop was pissed when I took the ticket to court and started asking him questions. He really wasn't very smart. Anyway, fine dropped from about $185 to about $75 on that.

Got pulled over for a taillight out. Fixed the taillight.

Got pulled over for going sideways around a corner. Got let off cause the cop was at a hurry to be at the scene of an accident.

Got pulled over for going sidways around a different corner. Cop let me off cause he was nice.

Hmm.... I think that's most of it. Before you assume I'm the world's worst driver, I'll tell you a couple more things.

Here's the hsitory of accidents I've been in:

My fault: I hit a friend's car while pulling out of a parking spot leaving my high school. $700 in paint and body work, no injuries.
My fault: the parking brake failed on my parked truck, causing it to roll backwards and scratch the bumper on another car. $400 in paint.
My fault: I rolled my truck on it's side when I hit black ice going around a turn. I was actually driving the psoted speed limit at the time. No injuries, $200 in damage to my truck, not including paint and body, which I never had fixed.

Other's fault: I was rear ended while waiting at a stoplight.
Other's fault: My neighbor hit my parked car.

As you can see, I've never hurt anyone, and only mildly damaged anyone's car. All of those accidents that were my fault happened when I was in high school. None of them involved excessive speed. I may drive quickly, but I'm able to do so safely, and when I can't, I slow down.

anyway, that's my story.
Also, I haven't gotten a ticket in over a year, and my driving has improved DRAMATICALLY since high school.

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Had the cops come over when I got a drum kit as a teen

Had the cops kick me out of various parties/parking lots

Got a drinking fine

Pulled over doing 88 in a 50 (km/h)

Got mounted police charge me with horses

Shot at with rubber bullets

Got tear gassed by some 6000 riot police

Most recently pepper sprayed

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Hmm...

-Never pulled over

-Never in an accident

-Never arrested

-Newly promoted Captain of my town's Police Explorer post

-Drive a squad car :p

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: smp

Got a drinking fine

My my my...what have we been up to...

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
My wife and I were driving home one night and the alternator went out less than a mile from our apartment. So, I shut down all the electrical (Radio, heater, headlights) trying to coax this Toyota Corolla wagon home. We came to a red light just before our apartment complex and I ran it since I didn't want to stop and risk the car dying on me. Unfortunately there was a cop there. They cranked up the lights/siren.

Since I was just 200-300 feet from the apartment complex I wasn't about to stop and stall the car out in the middle of the street, so I kept going and got it to our apartment. We stop the car and open the doors to get out. The cops pull in right behind us, have us lit up with the spot lights and draw down on us yelling at us to stay in the car. :)

So, anyway, we only walked away with a warning. :)

amish

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
Well I currently have an outstanding warrant for:

(hide your women and children first, ok?)

An unpaid seatbelt violation :eek:.

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Back when I still studied in business-school, my car doors froze shut (it can get pretty damn cold in Finland). I called the police to assist me, and they helped me break in to my car :).

I was being the designated driver driver for my cousin and his friend. His friend ran in to some problems and I had to verify his identity to the police.

I rear-ended another car (stupid driver in front of that car suddenly stopped at an intersection even though the light was green). Police was notified just in case, but there was no damage and we settled it before the police arrived. When the police arrived they listened what we had to say, took a look at the cars (there was no damage)and commended us for settling it on our own.

That is all.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: cherrytwist
Well I currently have an outstanding warrant for:

(hide your women and children first, ok?)

An unpaid seatbelt violation :eek:.

Even in CA, that's only like a $25 ticket. Why not pay it?

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :D I love Mardi Gras. ;)

Cerebus451

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2000
3 speeding tickets is all I can account for (2 were 66 in a 55, the last was 74 in a 55, at 2:30AM on a Sunday morning, after I had been at work for 18 hours, but instead of a fine I took traffic school and the ticket was expunged). I was fingerprinted at the police station once, but that was part of my application for a security clearance.

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: MacBaine
Originally posted by: smp Had the cops come over when I got a drum kit as a teen Had the cops kick me out of various parties/parking lots Got a drinking fine Pulled over doing 88 in a 50 (km/h) Got mounted police charge me with horses Shot at with rubber bullets Got tear gassed by some 6000 riot police Most recently pepper sprayed
My my my...what have we been up to...

Hey I never got arrested :p

I hate cops, just for the record. Anytime I've ever actually needed one, they were never there. Most recently here in Toronto the police got a budget increase of 11% while funding was cut to education, health and any other social services you can name ... including trash pickup ... so the trash ppl went on strike. Man, when I put my garbage on the fvcking curb, it dissapears, those people do their jobs. Anytime I've ever asked a fvcking pig for any help it's always the same sh!t .. "what do you want me to do about it?" .. or, "What do you want me to do about it? You know how many ......... "
I have seen a seniour citizen get beat over the head with batons till he was lying in his own blood on the sidewalk and I've seen plenty of terrible sh!t go down with the police.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
Pulled over for going 55 in a 35. Cop was nice, no ticket involved, though he did ask to look over my engine bay..

Pulled over for an illegal lane change. No ticket once again, asked to look at engine bay again.

Pulled over for rolling a stop sign (1AM in the morning.. not a car on the road). No ticket, asked to see engine bay once again..

:[ I don't know if I'm driving bad or they just use some excuse to make sure I have nothing illegal under the hood..

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
1 ticket for fail to yield at a stop sign. I stopped the car in front of the white line. grrr....

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Imported
Pulled over for going 55 in a 35. Cop was nice, no ticket involved, though he did ask to look over my engine bay..

Pulled over for an illegal lane change. No ticket once again, asked to look at engine bay again.

Pulled over for rolling a stop sign (1AM in the morning.. not a car on the road). No ticket, asked to see engine bay once again..

:[ I don't know if I'm driving bad or they just use some excuse to make sure I have nothing illegal under the hood..

May I ask what you drive?

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Got a drinking fine

Sounds like your career as an anti-globalization protester is off to a bright start!

smp

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: smp Had the cops come over when I got a drum kit as a teen Had the cops kick me out of various parties/parking lots Got a drinking fine Pulled over doing 88 in a 50 (km/h) Got mounted police charge me with horses Shot at with rubber bullets Got tear gassed by some 6000 riot police Most recently pepper sprayed
Sounds like your career as an anti-globalization protester is off to a bright start!

Anti-globalization? Yeah right! Anyways, I believe the correct buzz word is "globaphobe" and I like how media has convinced everyone that the tens of thousands of people that do go to these things are all the same.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
Originally posted by: Imported

May I ask what you drive?

I think he owns a civic and his mom owns an A6.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Got into a couple fender-benders (my fault) back when I was like 17 or so.

Other than than, the only real contact I've had with a police officer was the time I got a ride home in the back of the squad car 'cuz some stupid POS ran me over on my bicycle while I was riding home from work (my bike was mangled, so I obviously couldn't ride it home).

Yes, the dumbass that hit me got several tickets for his inattention, BTW. :D

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Got talked to (I just pulled into a parking lot) for doing 55 in a 45. The cop let me off because I honestly thought it was a 55 zone.

Got a ticket for speeding (60 in a 45) and reckless driving when I tried to slow down and hydroplaned when a sherriffs deputy was coming the other way, got the reckless driving charge dropped

Got pulled over for having a license plate light out (I was driving a friend's car with him in the car, going the speed limit, late at night on a really empty freeway), no ticket

Got pulled over for doing 82 in a 65. That one's still pending.

Accidents:
Found out that a black car with orange stripes is invisible at 2PM in a parking lot as some old guy manages to turn left and accelerate through me.

Had my car side swipped by a family member while it was parked in our driveway

Had my car side swipped by a different family member while it was parked in a different part of our drive way (I now park up on a hill where there is no place for a car to side swipe me)

Total damage to other cars: minor scrapes. Damage to me car: the first one totaled it, the other two averaged $2000 (yay insurance!). Average speed of vehicles in my accidents: less than 5MPH

relations:
We had a good friend that was a local CHP officer who died from leukemia a couple years back, and my uncle's in the LAPD

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
- Rear ended a lady in the fog/rain. Mostly due to bad vision (which I didn't know about at the time). Ticketed for careless driving (pissed me off, I was driving under the speed limit, and being careful - I just couldn't tell she had stopped until it was too late.). Ticket dismissed after traffic school
- Pulled over for 80-85 mph in a 55 mph zone. Cop was driving a prisoner transport van, I passed him (he was in the right lane, I passed him in the fast lane). No ticket.
- Pulled over for 72 in a 55 (cop was sitting on an overpass, tagged me at the crest of a hill). Ticketed, paid the fine without talking to the judge.

That about covers it, I've led a tame life.

Viper GTS