Post Your Credit Score

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SilentZero

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2003
This thread as the words e-penis and shens written all over it (minus a few people of course)

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Naustica
If it is fake why would FICO sell all 3 credit scores to people.

So they can make more money?

Go read Clark Howard.

You should get your credit score once a year and you have to pay for this. But Clark suggests that you get it from Equifax because it's the true score.

i don't see how it could be fake when all 3 score systems where created by the same company, FairIsaac.

Vich

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2000
Originally posted by: kranky
Just a reminder that credit scores, in and of themselves, are meaningless. When your credit score is brought to bear - when you apply for a CC, a loan, etc. - it is only one factor in the process. If the credit history is very sparse and has little history behind it, the score will mean very little to the lender.

Just as a baseball player's .400 batting average impresses no one when it turns out the guy has only five at-bats, a high credit score with very little credit history also has little meaning.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: DVK916

Go read Clark Howard.

You should get your credit score once a year and you have to pay for this. But Clark suggests that you get it from Equifax because it's the true score.

i don't see how it could be fake when all 3 score systems where created by the same company, FairIsaac.

I already told you Experian and TransUnion modifiy the FICO score by adding their inhouse junk formula. Call Clark and argue with him.

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005

Go read Clark Howard.

I already told you Experian and TransUnion modifiy the FICO score by adding their inhouse junk formula. Call Clark and argue with him.

No, the formula they use was created by the FairIsaac corporation, not by them. I rather trust the FICO who patents the score system than some guy name clark.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

Go read Clark Howard.

No, the formula they use was created by the FairIsaac corporation, not by them. I rather trust the FICO who patents the score system than some guy name clark.

Sigh. I tried. You can believe anything you want. You obviously know more than Clark Howard. Maybe I should start listening to your radio show for advice during work instead of Clark.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
For those who still don't get it:

FICO is a proprietary system, they don't just pass out their formula(s) to anyone who wants to use them.

Many sites offer scores using systems that try to emulate FICO, but they are not true FICO scores. They might be close to the true FICO results, or they might be 100+ points off (in either direction). These scores are essentially useless, their only value is observing a trend (and even this is marginal at best).

Sites like TrueCredit are good for monitoring changes via daily pulls (waiting for a new line to report, seeing which bureau got pulled for a credit app, etc.) and for getting *B*, but the scores are useless.

Viper GTS

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
my bank told me i was a 794 or something...my dad played it smart, we cosigned on a new car i bought in '98 and that's probably the only reason my score's probably so high.

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
For those who still don't get it:

FICO is a proprietary system, they don't just pass out their formula(s) to anyone who wants to use them.

Many sites offer scores using systems that try to emulate FICO, but they are not true FICO scores. They might be close to the true FICO results, or they might be 100+ points off (in either direction). These scores are essentially useless, their only value is observing a trend (and even this is marginal at best).

Sites like TrueCredit are good for monitoring changes via daily pulls (waiting for a new line to report, seeing which bureau got pulled for a credit app, etc.) and for getting *B*, but the scores are useless.

Viper GTS

Truecredit.com is owned by TransUnion. TransUnion score is a valid FICO score.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Truecredit.com is owned by TransUnion. TransUnion score is a valid FICO score.

Yes, TrueCredit is owned by TransUnion.

No, it's not a valid FICO.

Notice they don't say FICO anywhere on their site?

Viper GTS

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If you subscribe to TrueCredit go to the scores page. Down at the bottom in gray text, read the fine print. I'll quote it for you:

Additional Information

The TransUnion TransRisk New Account Credit Score is provided to help you better understand how lenders view your credit report. It is not an endorsement or a determination of your qualification for a loan. Lenders use credit scores to help determine whether or not you are a good candidate for a loan and what interest rate you will pay. However, each lender has specific underwriting standards, so you should not assume that you will receive the same evaluation from each lender. As part of the underwriting process, they will incorporate additional information you provide and may obtain references. In addition, even if you are approved, the terms and conditions of loans vary from lender to lender. The information used to determine your credit score comes from TransUnion, one of the major credit bureaus. Credit reports are a compilation of credit information that is reported to the bureaus by the various lending institutions with which you have accounts. The information contained in your report reflects the latest information provided. If you recently made a payment, opened a new account, or authorized an inquiry, it may not yet be reflected in the credit report you receive. Likewise, it will not be reflected in your credit score. Also, disputed items are not incorporated in the assessment of your credit score. Your credit score will change each time new information is captured in your record. TrueLink is not connected in any way with Fair, Isaac and Company; the credit score provided here is not a so-called FICO score. The credit scores of TransUnion may not be identical in every respect to any consumer credit scores produced by any other company.

Viper GTS

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005
If you subscribe to TrueCredit go to the scores page. Down at the bottom in gray text, read the fine print. I'll quote it for you:

Additional Information

The TransUnion TransRisk New Account Credit Score is provided to help you better understand how lenders view your credit report. It is not an endorsement or a determination of your qualification for a loan. Lenders use credit scores to help determine whether or not you are a good candidate for a loan and what interest rate you will pay. However, each lender has specific underwriting standards, so you should not assume that you will receive the same evaluation from each lender. As part of the underwriting process, they will incorporate additional information you provide and may obtain references. In addition, even if you are approved, the terms and conditions of loans vary from lender to lender. The information used to determine your credit score comes from TransUnion, one of the major credit bureaus. Credit reports are a compilation of credit information that is reported to the bureaus by the various lending institutions with which you have accounts. The information contained in your report reflects the latest information provided. If you recently made a payment, opened a new account, or authorized an inquiry, it may not yet be reflected in the credit report you receive. Likewise, it will not be reflected in your credit score. Also, disputed items are not incorporated in the assessment of your credit score. Your credit score will change each time new information is captured in your record. TrueLink is not connected in any way with Fair, Isaac and Company; the credit score provided here is not a so-called FICO score. The credit scores of TransUnion may not be identical in every respect to any consumer credit scores produced by any other company.

Viper GTS

So the TransUnion FICO score on myfico.com is different than the TransUnion score on TrueCredit?

If so then good thing I got my 3 scores from MyFico.com

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

So the TransUnion FICO score on myfico.com is different than the TransUnion score on TrueCredit?

Yes, absolutely.

Just as an example, from a recent same day pull from myfico and TrueCredit:

Bureau/MyFICO/TrueCredit

Experian/732/716
TransUnion/706/677
Equifax/709/740

In my case my FICO scores were higher than TrueCredit's scores. For some people it's lower. It's not uncommon to see 100+ points of variance either way.

Viper GTS

DVK916

Banned
Dec 12, 2005

Yes, absolutely.

Just as an example, from a recent same day pull from myfico and TrueCredit:

Bureau/MyFICO/TrueCredit

Experian/732/716
TransUnion/706/677
Equifax/709/740

In my case my FICO scores were higher than TrueCredit's scores. For some people it's lower. It's not uncommon to see 100+ points of variance either way.

Viper GTS

So is myfico.com the only place to get the 3 FICO scores.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Mine goes anywhere from 690 to 780. Changes monthly. Sometime I pay too much, which apparently is a bad thing. Weird.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Experian gave me 739. I think i'd have better credit if i had more credit cards open