Post-Partisan Depression

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Some Experts Predict Epidemic of Post-Partisan Depression

How to heal post-partisan depression

by Donna Zajonc

Like hopeful new parents anticipating the birth of their first child, the nation anxiously awaited to see the face of the future.

Shrill partisan voices warned us that the future of our country rested on the outcome of this national election.

Polls showed that Americans believed the stakes have never been higher. Each side judged the other as unfit parents.

Now, after weeks of mudslinging, an emotionally exhausted public has been left to make sense of the results and interpret what it means for our democracy. Alleviating the post-partisan blues may be difficult for some.

As a former state legislator and a mental health nurse, I know it is important to pay attention to post-partisan depression syndrome. Here are a few recommendations to help you manage through this transition period.

* Take Time. Sadness and disappointment heal over time. Avoid rushing to judgment or making rash decisions during post-partisan depression. The body needs time to rest. Anne Morrow Lindbergh said ``Life is always somewhere between retreat and renewal.'' Avoid spending time with strident friends or listening to harsh media programs. Protect your psyche and do something fun.

* Grieve. Any loss involves grief and the feelings that come with it. In fact, it is best to acknowledge your feelings, which may range from frustration to anger. To move through the stages of loss you must accept your feelings and understand that it is normal to feel depressed when your vision is lost. The sooner you embrace your grief the sooner you will heal and be able to move forward.

* Dream again. Polls show that Americans are the most hopeful people on the Earth. Since our country's birth we have always held grand dreams. Some Americans are asking whether the best of America is behind us, rather than before us. A full-blown case of post-partisan depression may mean you have lost your American dream. Begin again. Renew your dream by thinking about your dream and what you want for your family, your community and your children.

* Converse. It is important to share your dream with others and invite them to do the same. In certain indigenous cultures, dreaming together is the way that community is built. They share and listen.

* Hope: Understand that breakdowns precede breakthroughs. Growth and learning are both a process of letting go as well as embracing new potential. Often, it is through defeat and disappointment that we discover a new path. Loss leads to new possibilities and it is through this understanding we can find hope in the face of defeat.

Healing your individual post-partisan depression will contribute to the collective healing of our American family.

Donna Zajonc is a former mental health nurse, elected Oregon Legislator and author of the new book ``The Politics of Hope: Reviving the Dream of Democracy.'' She lives on Bainbridge Island. Readers can contact her at www.politicsofhope.com.

CsG

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
The only thing that needs healing is john kerry and the rest of the liberals asses b/c the just got raped in the election ;)

You can take your unacceptable attitude elsewhere for awhile.

AnandTech Moderator

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: ntdz
The only thing that needs healing is john kerry and the rest of the liberals asses b/c the just got raped in the election ;)

Are you like 12?

Gaard

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002

By who? Those pesky sh*t-eating cockroaches from outer space?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Looks like we are in need of some healing here....

CsG

Would you expect comments like nutz threw out to go unanswered?

We'll heal...lets see if the country can?

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Engineer
Looks like we are in need of some healing here....

CsG

Would you expect comments like nutz threw out to go unanswered?

We'll heal...lets see if the country can?

No, that was uncalled for - hence the healing needed.;)
Post-Partisan Depression isn't a one-way street - it can affect the "winning" side too - just usually isn't as prevalent due to the "win".

The country will be just fine. It isn't going to fall apart just because one side lost, or is really really pissed that it lost. It also isn't going to swing wildly towards the winner - never has, never Will - because people tend to hold onto their ideals - not their hate(doesn't hurt that we are forgetful too;) ).

I for one hope that people will settle down in the coming weeks and focus on what is good and positive and shy away from the hate and negativity that was brought to a head by the election process. We can do great things as a country, but it takes all sides for our country to be great.:)

CsG

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
We need politicans that are on the side of the COUNTRY...not their own personal gain. While we all may agree and heal on a certain agenda, neither party seems really interested in working on what the American people really want (other than to throw out a few crumbs to wet their appetites).

I'm going back independant....and am not sure that either side is worth voting for any more. I'm not so sure that I would have been better off just not worrying about what the hell the country does and worry about my own life and finances. Maybe I'll become a member of the "me..me...me" class and not give crap about the rest of em.

Will they work together to heal anything in government? Not in this decade......

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
And the conservatives who believe that something changed for the better on election day will have their own depression after the "honeymoon" is over. The government is too divided along party lines to get anything meaningful done.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

AnandTech Moderator
:thumbsup:

This whole thread should be locked. Just more gloating from the king of trolls.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: conjur

AnandTech Moderator

:roll: Take your BS elsewhere troll. Try reading for once.

CsG

NightCrawler

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
This thread makes me laugh........it might be wrong but it does....I'm sorry....hahhahahahahh.

I'm not even drunk.

gutharius

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
Originally posted by: amdfanboy

Are you like 12?

Please you give him more credit than a 5 year old deserves. :cookie: for nutzo...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

by Donna Zajonc

Like hopeful new parents anticipating the birth of their first child, the nation anxiously awaited to see the face of the future.

Shrill partisan voices warned us that the future of our country rested on the outcome of this national election.

Polls showed that Americans believed the stakes have never been higher. Each side judged the other as unfit parents.

Now, after weeks of mudslinging, an emotionally exhausted public has been left to make sense of the results and interpret what it means for our democracy. Alleviating the post-partisan blues may be difficult for some.

As a former state legislator and a mental health nurse, I know it is important to pay attention to post-partisan depression syndrome. Here are a few recommendations to help you manage through this transition period.

* Take Time. Sadness and disappointment heal over time. Avoid rushing to judgment or making rash decisions during post-partisan depression. The body needs time to rest. Anne Morrow Lindbergh said ``Life is always somewhere between retreat and renewal.'' Avoid spending time with strident friends or listening to harsh media programs. Protect your psyche and do something fun.

* Grieve. Any loss involves grief and the feelings that come with it. In fact, it is best to acknowledge your feelings, which may range from frustration to anger. To move through the stages of loss you must accept your feelings and understand that it is normal to feel depressed when your vision is lost. The sooner you embrace your grief the sooner you will heal and be able to move forward.

* Dream again. Polls show that Americans are the most hopeful people on the Earth. Since our country's birth we have always held grand dreams. Some Americans are asking whether the best of America is behind us, rather than before us. A full-blown case of post-partisan depression may mean you have lost your American dream. Begin again. Renew your dream by thinking about your dream and what you want for your family, your community and your children.

* Converse. It is important to share your dream with others and invite them to do the same. In certain indigenous cultures, dreaming together is the way that community is built. They share and listen.

* Hope: Understand that breakdowns precede breakthroughs. Growth and learning are both a process of letting go as well as embracing new potential. Often, it is through defeat and disappointment that we discover a new path. Loss leads to new possibilities and it is through this understanding we can find hope in the face of defeat.

Healing your individual post-partisan depression will contribute to the collective healing of our American family.

Donna Zajonc is a former mental health nurse, elected Oregon Legislator and author of the new book ``The Politics of Hope: Reviving the Dream of Democracy.'' She lives on Bainbridge Island. Readers can contact her at www.politicsofhope.com.

CsG

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Props to you for posting this... I expected it to be some flame post when I saw the title.. Thanks CsG :thumbsup:

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

AnandTech Moderator

There are those values again... :roll:

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: NightCrawler
This thread makes me laugh........it might be wrong but it does....I'm sorry....hahhahahahahh.

I'm not even drunk.

But I still want to hang here
I must not be drinking enough

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

AnandTech Moderator

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Infohawk

AnandTech Moderator

:roll: Take your BS elsewhere troll. Try reading for once.

CsG

CsG

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

by Donna Zajonc

CsG

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Are you going to repost the OP every time there is a post you disagree with? It makes it harder for other people to follow the thread...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Are you going to repost the OP every time there is a post you disagree with? It makes it harder for other people to follow the thread...

It's not about disagreeing - it's about you and conjur trolling. Now ah heck off or address the topic.

CsG

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

It's not about disagreeing - it's about you and conjur trolling. Now ah heck off or address the topic.

CsG

Just think about other posters once in a while and try not to cut-and-crap everywhere... How are people supposed to navigate through your spamming?