==== Post COOL and USEFUL programs here!!! STICKIED ====

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

andvruss

Nov 10, 2004
No Xfire?
www.xfire.com
Best gaming tool ever. Easily add and chat to friends, see what games they are playing, directly join their game with 2 clicks of the mouse and much more! If you play multi much, or just want to keep track of how much of any game you play (out of the hundred+ supported) download this!

Kasper4christ

Sep 29, 2004
FIREFOX :D (sorry bout the caps :p)
Winamp
Serious Samurize (one of the most configurable desktop add-on packages out there)
XAMMP (Apache, PHP, MySQL etc installation, pre configured, you just install and it works)
PrevX Home (New kind of AntiSpyware/Trojan/Hijacker/Keylogger etc proggy, its based off of preventing things from installing in critical directories, warning you about it, and giving you options etc)

skiingliberal

Dec 29, 2004
IF anyone is interested in downloading legal shows from awesome bands, look no further than Furthurnet.net. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it!

RalphTheCow

Sep 14, 2000
Dillo, an extremely small and fast web browser for Linux. It's just the ticket if you are running Linux on a weak machine. It is open source and has many limitations - no https ( although I think there is an extension available for that), no java support, frame handling is similar to lynx. It is just beta, but is stable.

On my P133 with 32 MB running Redhat 7.2 and the Blackbox window manager, the difference between it and Netscape 4.78 is phenomenal! Newegg, for instance, with all its pictures, loaded in seconds with Dillo, and I gave up on it ever loading in Netscape. Wikipedia also loaded very quickly, and it can be a demanding site. I don't know if that has been mentioned yet in this thread, but Wikipedia is another very cool and useful open-source encyclopedia that anyone can edit. It is VERY complete and up to date, and it is a lot of fun to read and write.

The downside is you have to use something else for java sites, and forum sites have so far proved problematic for me with Dillo when I try to sign in. The upside is it is incredibly fast and small. It also gives a running commentary on its actions in an xterm window, which is great for seeing the inner workings of web browsing. It also flags bad html. It's a very COOL and USEFUL and INTERESTING open source project.

AayushP

Feb 19, 2005
Furl - A superb tool for managing bookmarks. Actually it does a bit more than simply managing bookmarks. It saves (like Google caching) the bookmarked page so that at a later point of time one can get the page he visited even if the page has been removed from the original website. Also there are many other features like bookmark sharing etc. I got to know about it 3 days back and am already quite fascinated with the concept and this tool.

ShadowBlade

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
nobody said anything about trillian plugins....i use world time, message splitter, news, stocks.....( http://www.trillain.cc ) the only one that needs explaining is message splitter: it automatically splits messages that are normally too long to be sent

RVN

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2000
ExplorerXP 1.06

Among many other things it allows you to rename multiple files ...I renamed 10,670 files in one stroke, a matter of seconds!

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Great thread. I already have a folder that is full of downloaded apps and utilities. Many of the file names are cryptic or just not very descriptive. A really helpful little app is filenote

Here is a description:

FileNote is a little shell extension that allows you to add textual descriptions to your files. It adds one command to the shell context menu of a file object. This command lets you easily edit or create a text file that has the same name as the initial file, but with the extension TXT.

How i use it: I download a file, right-click the downloaded file, choose filenote from the menu, notepad opens, I paste the description I copied from the download site in notepad, click file, save, and it creates a .txt file with the same name as the original, in the same directory automatically.

So, a month later, when I see the file neatapp.exe, and have no idea what it is, I open neatapp.txt and see.

I think it is a most simple and helpful app for anyone who downloads a lot apps. I run it on WinXP.

mariner

Golden Member
Nov 23, 1999
Originally posted by: jackschmittusa
Great thread. I already have a folder that is full of downloaded apps and utilities. Many of the file names are cryptic or just not very descriptive. A really helpful little app is filenote

Here is a description:

FileNote is a little shell extension that allows you to add textual descriptions to your files. It adds one command to the shell context menu of a file object. This command lets you easily edit or create a text file that has the same name as the initial file, but with the extension TXT.

How i use it: I download a file, right-click the downloaded file, choose filenote from the menu, notepad opens, I paste the description I copied from the download site in notepad, click file, save, and it creates a .txt file with the same name as the original, in the same directory automatically.

So, a month later, when I see the file neatapp.exe, and have no idea what it is, I open neatapp.txt and see.

I think it is a most simple and helpful app for anyone who downloads a lot apps. I run it on WinXP.

Thanks. I've been doing these same tasks manually using notepad. Saving a text file with the url and description of the download. Filenote saves me a step. Not a lot, but something.

mariner

bleuiko

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Hey guys! Just checking in again, great programs!

I just bought a USB Thumb Drive, and then included encrption software from SanDisk was terrible. I found this program instead. its freware/opensource and has a lot on encrption scheme... even up to triple encryption.

Its called TrueCrypt. Try it... I think it works expecially well with removable drives you thinkg someone might want to steal. What this program does is create an encrypted file that can be mounted by the program as a seperate drive (with the proper password, of course).

http://truecrypt.sourceforge.net/

Deslok

Oct 9, 1999
Searched and did not find it so...
Open Selected URL

OpenSelectedURL

I believe original credit goes to
================================================================
OPEN SELECTED URL
================================================================
Summary : Handy Internet Explorer Context Menu Extension thingy
Version : 1.6 - 13 July 2001
Author : JohnC - http://websolutions.n3.net - batsite@beer.com
Licence : Freeware, but I'd appreciate feedback and money :)
Requires : Windows 95/98/98SE/NT4/2000 (maybe also works on ME?)
: Internet Explorer 5 browser (should also work in IE4)
: may also work in IE-based browsers eg: AOL, NeoPlanet
PLS NOTE : YOU MUST KNOW WHERE WINDOWS IS INSTALLED ON YOUR PC !

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: frontwards
not listed yet (at least i didn't notice it)
Gaim - AIM, ICQ, MSN, IRC, Jabber, Yahoo, Zephyr and a few more all in one nice package (way nicer user interface than trillian, IMO). (win/linux)

-edit- i forgot to mention that you gaim supports tabbed IMing, so you can have all your conversations in one window.

I'm a gAIM user also, and find it very nice and capable. As expected it hasn't been quite as dependable as aim at file transfers, and it does lack some of the features of the various messengers it's replacing, but it has kept me from reinstalling msn and aim with their increasing undesired bs, and it saves logs very nicely.

This is a recommended program, and more refinements seem likely :)