possible TF2 update tomorrow, Out now

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Gahh looks like the loadout/briefcase is borked right now. I'm ganna wait to play until they fix it.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
Does anyone know how the crafting works? I'd like to try and screw around with it to see if I can make something, but I'm worried that I will lose my items/scrap metal if it doesn't work.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
The best way to counter a sapping spy is to (after he saps your sentry) hit it one time with the wrench and then go after the spy. This has two benefits. It fools the spy into thinking you're going to just knock off sappers instead of go after him. And because you hit it once, after you take care of the spy you only have to hit it one more time to take that sapper off.

good to know.

anyone know what the difference between the green and gold buff banner auras are?

Last edited:

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
So when do we get them? You have to earn them or they're readily available? I got a half dozen achievements but it seemed like it kept giving me hats. I had nothing new in load out after an hour of playing.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
It seems like Valve finally loosened the odds of getting a random item. I got 6 drops last night in a short time, including the new boots and sticky launcher and the spy's camera beard.

I really want the new melee weapons!!! I've seen some people use them and they look AWESOME!!

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
any tips on finding normal, unmodded servers?

I don't want to sit with a bunch of retards with the unreal tournament/quake soundtrack being played after every kill.

ivan2

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2000
www.heatware.com

I don't want to sit with a bunch of retards with the unreal tournament/quake soundtrack being played after every kill.

u should be able to type in a command to disable sound. like quake_on or something

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Was able to play long enough last night to unlock and use the Equalizer briefly. It's definitely a straight upgrade to the shovel. I got taken down to around 40HP and my movement was boosted up to, or just above, scout running speed. I got to chase down 2 unsuspecting soldiers and pickaxe them to death. Funny that both hits on them were crits. It doesn't boost crit chance right? Just movement and attack speed.

WT

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2000
If I read it right, the lower the health, the more chance of a crit.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, I'm at work and can only see the teamfortress.com update descriptions. There it just says it'll "make you move faster and hit harder the more wounds you endure."

Also, talk about a tough achievement:
Duty Bound - While RJing, kill an enemy with the Equalizer before you land.

And another thing I like about the update - A scout's bonk no longer completely immobilizes you. It does the same effect as the ghost on the Halloween map. You can move around now but you wave your hands around and can't fire your weapons.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Update seemed buggy last night. I played for about an hour or so and while it kept telling me I was getting these new items, I was not able to use any of them.

I'll try again sometime this weekend.

KT

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Both the pickaxe and the eyelander need serious nerfs to their speed bonus. They completely remove the need for anyone to play scout. The Targe shield also has way too much damage resistance. I could literally just charge into a group of soldiers and they would kill themselves from self damage trying to kill me.

While it is ridiculously unbalanced, I've never had so much fun with new unlocks.

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Also, talk about a tough achievement:
Duty Bound - While RJing, kill an enemy with the Equalizer before you land.

From what I've seen it has a hit box like the sniper's bow & arrow. Those are pretty liberal when fired.

(BTW, loving the new medic indicators and hit point icons!)

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Update seemed buggy last night. I played for about an hour or so and while it kept telling me I was getting these new items, I was not able to use any of them.

I'll try again sometime this weekend.

KT

I think valve mentioned the inventory system might be down for a bit.

From what I played last night, I think the speed boosts from eyelander/equalizer/targe are a bit much...

Last edited:

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
whoa, I haven't played since they started adding all this extra stuff. I was thinking about getting back into it but with the release of all the updates and achevs it kinda looks confusing.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
whoa, I haven't played since they started adding all this extra stuff. I was thinking about getting back into it but with the release of all the updates and achevs it kinda looks confusing.

It's not. Lots of the achievements you will get gradually through regular play. A few of the earlier updates had achievements that were counter-productive to what the class is actually supposed to do. The Medic update, the first one, was the worst of all as it had some achievements that promoted battlemedic play. But I think that might have been more due to the class' limitations as the rest of the achievements have been good. Every class has some tougher ones to achieve of course.

When you get enough achievements to earn a Milestone you'll also unlock a corresponding weapon. These can also be found randomly as you're playing the game (along with hats - purely aesthetic items). A new crafting system allows you to combine various combos of items to make other items - most useful in helping to get a hat since they are rare drops.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
I have noticed increased framerate stuttering, but I don't think that's due to network lag...

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006

you can refuse custom sounds download, under options -> multiplayer
also servers usually have tags

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Are those TN servers open to anybody? I haven't played since early or mid 2008 because I got discouraged and I want to start playing again pretty badly.