possible TF2 update tomorrow, Out now

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Honestly they could have just given everyone the new unlocks on each update's release day and they wouldn't need all this stupid RPG* crap to compensate for the terrible drop system. I'd much rather they spend their development time making new maps, game modes, and unlocks instead of random loot, backpacks, crafting, and trading...

*I absolutely love a good RPG (BG II, Dragon Age), but elements of that genre do not belong in a multiplayer FPS game.

Last edited:

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Honestly they could have just given everyone the new unlocks on each update's release day and they wouldn't need all this stupid RPG* crap to compensate for the terrible drop system. I'd much rather they spend their development time making new maps, game modes, unlocks, instead of random drop systems, backpacks, crafting, and trading...

*I absolutely love a good RPG (BG II, Dragon Age), but elements of that genre do not belong in a multiplayer FPS game.

I hate the drop system. I still haven't gotten one hat for any of the classes. The only hats I have are the Halloween ones you had to earn.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
For no real reason I stopped playing TF2 for a few months, well a bit longer. I loaded it up the other day to check for this update. I played the Holloween map with the ghosts and exploding pumpkins. The ghosts are fucking fun. I didn't know what they did so I was wondering why the hell my pyro was running around screaming lol. Valve seems to love to add crazy shit to the updates. I didn't play much, but I take it the ghosts are only on that one map?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
For no real reason I stopped playing TF2 for a few months, well a bit longer. I loaded it up the other day to check for this update. I played the Holloween map with the ghosts and exploding pumpkins. The ghosts are fucking fun. I didn't know what they did so I was wondering why the hell my pyro was running around screaming lol. Valve seems to love to add crazy shit to the updates. I didn't play much, but I take it the ghosts are only on that one map?

They were only for Halloween. I've gotten bored of TF2 lately but the Holiday stuff they do is awesome. Can't wait to see what they have in store for us for Xmas and the new weapons to get me into TF2 again.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
They were only for Halloween. I've gotten bored of TF2 lately but the Holiday stuff they do is awesome. Can't wait to see what they have in store for us for Xmas and the new weapons to get me into TF2 again.

That's what I read, but I played on a server last night that had ghosts. Is Valve letting the ghosts stick around for a while before they remove them? I hope they're permanent, I had a good ass time on that server.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Soldier wins and Demo gets an "update"??? And to a melee class???

Weaksauce to the max. And now with this announcement expect to see Demo kills rise dramatically. I see no new achievement to get the weapons. Are they drops or do you have to create them?

Last edited:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
That's what I read, but I played on a server last night that had ghosts. Is Valve letting the ghosts stick around for a while before they remove them? I hope they're permanent, I had a good ass time on that server.

The extra stuff only go away when the server restarts so if you can keep the server up it could stay for awhile. Not sure if there are mods that could add things back in though.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
New rocket launcher looks like a clear upgrade. An 80% faster projectile makes it much easier to aim for those direct hits, and the 25% damage increase means 4/9 classes (engineer, sniper, scout, and spy) can be killed in a single close range shot without crits (looks to be around 131 damage).

Last edited:

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
New rocket launcher looks like a clear upgrade. An 80% faster projectile makes it much easier to aim for those direct hits, and the 25% damage increase means 4/9 classes (engineer, sniper, scout, and spy) can be killed in a single close range shot without crits (looks to be around 131 damage).

so he becomes slow walking but good health sniper?

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
TI can't wait until they do it for the Engineer, I for one believe that it's pretty much useless to play as an Engineer at the moment, but that's just me.

Yep. I think Valve needs to add counter measures to the Sentry guns.

9 times out of 10 when I make a Sentry it gets destroyed by the spy with the sapper. This seems to easy if you ask me.

Demo, soldier or even a heavy (with ubercharge) seems like a more balanced way of clearing out Sentry guns.

Last edited:

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yep. I think Valve needs to add counter measures to the Sentry guns.

9 times out of 10 when I make a Sentry it gets destroyed by the spy with the sapper. This seems to easy if you ask me.

Demo, soldier or even a heavy (with ubercharge) seems like a more balanced way of clearing out Sentry guns.

It's really quite hard to take down a sentry if a team is spy-checking or keeping an eye out for one. If not, then the sentry deserves to go down. It's also hard if the engy positions the sentry and himself well.

Point is, don't make playing spy harder. It's only as good as the other team is bad.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
It's really quite hard to take down a sentry if a team is spy-checking or keeping an eye out for one. If not, then the sentry deserves to go down. It's also hard if the engy positions the sentry and himself well.

Point is, don't make playing spy harder. It's only as good as the other team is bad.

Counter measure to spy-checking is spy sacrifice where spy lives long enough to approach and put a sap and at same time demo or soldier target it. Spy will get killed for sure, but in few tries sentry will go down as well. Or have multiple spies to distract the spy-checkers.

But that's point of the game, and that's why it is so great: there is counter-measure for everything.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001

I agree 100%. Most spies can be defended against by simple spy checking or just freak'n paying attention. For some reason people never spy check their teammates that act suspiciously by running the wrong direction or trying to circle around to their backs. It drives me crazy when I see a spy sap a building, and the engineer standing there proceeds to fix the building. What the hell? The spy's just going to sap it again! Shoot the spy first!

The really good spies that can stab/sap and quickly disappear are rare.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I agree 100%. Most spies can be defended against by simple spy checking or just freak'n paying attention. For some reason people never spy check their teammates that act suspiciously by running the wrong direction or trying to circle around to their backs. It drives me crazy when I see a spy sap a building, and the engineer standing there proceeds to fix the building. What the hell? The spy's just going to sap it again! Shoot the spy first!

The really good spies that can stab/sap and quickly disappear are rare.

The best way to counter a sapping spy is to (after he saps your sentry) hit it one time with the wrench and then go after the spy. This has two benefits. It fools the spy into thinking you're going to just knock off sappers instead of go after him. And because you hit it once, after you take care of the spy you only have to hit it one more time to take that sapper off.