Poll: Who here is buying an A64 in the next month?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
28,770
21,475
146
You need to have a "still on the fence" option ;)
 

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
3,147
0
0
No way...

I prefer to pay alot less for my CPU's... plus, won't apps have to be written to take advantage of the 64 bit?
 

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
10,568
138
106
It's not time to buy that sucker yet! Wait till the speeds ramp up and yields get better. More overclockin fun, I won't be making the jump till PCI express comes around most likely, although I might jump on the N-Force3 because I know there's still life in my 9700Pro. NForce 3 has the normal AGP/PCI layout correct?
 

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
4,823
6
81
this chip would burn a hole in my wallet so big, i'd have to buy a new wallet too...
 

Peter D

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2002
3,603
0
0
Waiting till the new year and plan on getting either an Abit nForce 3 or the MAX 3 board
 

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
16,215
0
71
I don't pay more then 200 bucks for a cpu and Oc them to speeds higher then the best available chip...So NO thanks...

I will get a 2.6c and oc to 3.4-3.5ghz and call it good until I see if the prescotts drive the chips down more for a 3.2c later...
 

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
30,699
1
0
If nForce3 Pro 250 comes out, I'll be mighty tempted. I can always hand my 2500+ nForce2 down to my home system, then build a new service loaner out of my 1600+ nForce1.
 

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
14,377
19
81
it depends on the benchmarks, especially in CAD. my 1700+ oc'ed to 2600+ (thanks, shimmishimm!) is BLAZINGLY fast in CAD. i have never seen anything like it. things that used to take 10 seconds happen almost instantaneously now.

gaming is always fun, and from what i've read, the athlon platform is superior to the p4. for me, amd is the way to go, hands down. i'm going to wait for 64-bit computing to go mainstream before i jump ship tho.
 

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000
11,460
0
76
Originally posted by: pelikan
Are you going for it? I am.

Dapunisher: good idea; done.

I see you are already running @ 2.4ghz... Quite close to a 3.2ghz P4 currently..

I see no need to jump on the wagon YET. Maybe 2-3 months down the road, figure which socket that plan to stick by and what not..

Not to mention better yields.

 

WarCon

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2001
3,920
0
0
I am waiting to see how the Prescott performs in real world apps (stuff I use) compared to the Athlon64 FX. Then wait another year or so for the price to get into my range.....:)
 

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
8,198
0
71
gonna wait for prescott, pci express & the nexy gen of vid cards, HL2, doom3, call of duty and A BIG FVCKIN LOTTERY TIKIT b4 i nuy anything else :D
 

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
5,171
13
81
Though all the reviews of the A64 are making me drool, I've made it a point to never buy a first generation ANYTHING whether it's a car, computer or whatnot. Let other people buy first-gen and deal with all the teething problems of a newly designed product. Then after everything settles down and the bugs are ironed I'll look at whether or not to buy. As a plus prices will have dropped considerably.
 

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
2,836
556
126
Originally posted by: beyoku
yes, if they have the laptop version out!

Same here..... a laptop usually has a higher useful life, so if laptops are available with the clawhammer, then I am a sure owner of one... ;)
 

Dustswirl

Senior member
May 30, 2002
282
0
0
It'll be way expensive...not only the A64 CPU! you got to buy RAMs that work with it (normal DDR won't workshould be registered for A64FX) and the Mobo! And what bout OS (winxp64 etc etc)? you got to buy that too!

Talk about major upgrade! and not a cheap one at all!

I'll wait...good things come to those who wait :D