Poll: Who here is buying an A64 in the next month?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: pelikan
As I understand it, only the FX will require ecc memory.

This is what I heard and interpreted....

The other factor as with the prescott is the fact the chips will be changing socket size rendering the new mobo you just bought worthless in record time. Worse is that the prescott which many thought was supposed to work with i865/i875 mobos may not. I think both the prescott and early athlon fx are a waste until they have settled into their new socket size and compatability is all ironed out...

Then again that is why I am not an early adopter!!!

edub82

Mar 3, 2003
I plan on buying an AMD 64 setup sometime early next year...march or april probably.

Ray5150Ray

Oct 10, 2002
Originally posted by: edub82
I plan on buying an AMD 64 setup sometime early next year...march or april probably.

or maybe early summer...I'll be saving my money untill then. All my chips sit at @.4 GHz(1700+, 2400+, 2500+). I'm in no hurry and the technology isn't going away...

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
Well now that the reviews are out it will be interesting to see what direction this poll takes.

savx

Mar 24, 2003
" plan on buying an AMD 64 setup sometime early next year...march or april probably. "

Do you mind listing the 64-bit application(s) you plan on running?.... :confused:

Ray5150Ray

Oct 10, 2002
I think it'll stay at a hard no! That's just too much to pay at this time, and there is no "real" OS available. Early next year, I think people will start to migrate. I make good money, but I have to stand firm on two issues here. 1) the cost, 2) I NEVER, NEVER buy thr first revision of anything. I think many here will here will agree with those two statements alone.

I do have to give it to AMD though, the 64's pack a hefty punch in performance! Finally!!!

m2kewl

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2001
i'll wait to prices trickle down. but i know for sure i'm going strictly into 64bit environment next year.

kudos to amd and apple for pushing the envelope - bringing it on!!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
not yet. i'm still running my 1800+ @ 2.4ghz with ecs m/b from frys for total of 59 dollars. its really hard to beat that price performance ratio :) i need a new video card before cpu.

NEVERwinter

Dec 24, 2001
bloody expensive....
I won't upgrade until *theoretically* all apps/games needs a 64-bit cpu.
oh well, all I need is a DVD-writer and a new VGA card....

draggoon01

May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
not yet. i'm still running my 1800+ @ 2.4ghz with ecs m/b from frys for total of 59 dollars. its really hard to beat that price performance ratio :) i need a new video card before cpu.

whoa, what fsb are you running at? don't you worry about frying other components since there's no agp/pci lock?