POLL: Which Vista Edition will you be getting?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: archcommus
Originally posted by: stash
Originally posted by: archcommus
Are we sure Ultimate is the only edition with remote access (RDC)? If so that's pretty ridiculous and that would seal the deal for me on Ultimate.
Business, Enterprise and Ultimate are the only ones with Remote Desktop. Enterprise is volume license only.
And I'm assuming Business has no media center functionality, so yep, guess I want Ultimate.
So, what's so cool about MCE functionality? If I get Vista Business what will I be missing? If I decide I really want Ultimate, I'll wait on my T60 buy until at least February. There's no upgrade path to Ultimate from the XP Pro currently available on it.

Originally posted by: jazzboy
I feel sorry for you guys who need the Ultimate one - seems very pricey. Is there not going to be a Vista Media Centre edition, like XP Media Centre?

Anyway for me I think I should only need Vista Basic, but I could go for Premium just to be safe :)
Vista Home Premium appears to be essentially "like XP Media Center Edition."

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by: InlineFive
I'll use whatever my school supplies. And if they don't: Business.
Same here. I'll get whatever my school sells at tremendous discount in the software store. If they don't, I'm not going to rush out and buy Vista because XP x64 is working fine for now.

wamasters

Jun 30, 2006
I remember a lot of comments like this when Microsoft moved from '95 to '98 (and again when XP was introduced - we'll leave ME out of this). I myself waited for the first service pack before moving on to XP (usually a wise move with any Microsoft product). However, this time they may have me. I'll admit its not as slick as I would have liked, but after using the beta releases I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. Aero impresses me more than it (apparently) does the rest of you (transparency HAS made it easier to organize multiple windows). Even with my relatively lame A64 3000+ processor and a mid-level (7600GT) video card this stuff's slick. Given what additional capabilities DX10 will introduce I am actually excited (for once) about a new Microsoft product. I mean have you LOOKED at the hardware specs for DX10 video cards:disgust:? Once we have the hardware, this things going to be the first really big leap we've had since DX7.
FURTHER, will you scuzzy, cheap, low-life, dirtbags quit talking about how you intend to steal the product? I have friends that write software for a living. Who cares how much money Microsoft has made! The United States is a capitalist country (thank god) and they should be able to earn whatever the market will bear (remember you don't HAVE to use it). Theft is theft and it SUCKS!
Finally - I'm going for Home Premium (aero & media center funtionality w/o premiums bloated price). It's a good balance.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
FURTHER, will you scuzzy, cheap, low-life, dirtbags quit talking about how you intend to steal the product? I have friends that write software for a living. Who cares how much money Microsoft has made! The United States is a capitalist country (thank god) and they should be able to earn whatever the market will bear (remember you don't HAVE to use it). Theft is theft and it SUCKS!
Can I get an Amen?

If you don't like it, don't use it. Just don't steal it.

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I think Home Basic work would fine for me. Aero would be nice. All the other stuff I don't use/need.

DeadSurvivor

Jul 24, 2006
I'll Be Sticking With WinXP. Some Things Sound Cool About Vista But Nothing That I'll Need Or Use (I Don't Do Multiple Tasks With Graphics, Etc ...). As Far As Getting Fancy Graphics, I'll Eventually (Since I Am So Lazy LOL) Download Something That Spices Up My XP.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
I'm running Ultimate on my desktop and laptop; eventually my machines @ work will be running business or enterprise.

andrewbabcock

Oct 2, 2005
None because Vista sux. Stay with XP as long as you can because vista will be a disappointment. The next ME.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
Originally posted by: andrewbabcock
None because Vista sux. Stay with XP as long as you can because vista will be a disappointment. The next ME.
Way to back up that profound statement.

Link19

Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Brazen
Originally posted by: Link19
You should have made the option, I will stick with Windows XP. Not everyone wants to move to Vista.

MS can't force us to move to Vista. Some people simply don't want it.

Windows Vista isn't even a real 64-bit operating system. It is pseudo 64-bit code on top of a native 32-bit architecture!!

Windows Vista x64, Windows XP Professional x64, and Windows Server 2003 x64 are all true 64-bit operating systems. If they were not true 64-bit, 32-bit drivers would work with those operating systems. The fact that you must use 64-bit drivers and 32-bit drivers cannot natively work under the x64 editions of Windows proves they are true 64-bit operating systems.

16-bit Windows and 16-bit DOS device drivers are natively compatible with Windows 95/98/ME which proves they are not a true 32-bit OS. If they were a true 32-bit OS, they shouldn't be able to natively understand 16-bit device drivers.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: DeadSurvivor
I'll Be Sticking With WinXP. Some Things Sound Cool About Vista But Nothing That I'll Need Or Use (I Don't Do Multiple Tasks With Graphics, Etc ...). As Far As Getting Fancy Graphics, I'll Eventually (Since I Am So Lazy LOL) Download Something That Spices Up My XP.

same here i have vista and it sucks pretty bad

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
I think I'll get Ultimate, retail full version. 10-year lifecycle FTW!

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Windows Vista x64, Windows XP Professional x64, and Windows Server 2003 x64 are all true 64-bit operating systems. If they were not true 64-bit, 32-bit drivers would work with those operating systems. The fact that you must use 64-bit drivers and 32-bit drivers cannot natively work under the x64 editions of Windows proves they are true 64-bit operating systems.

It was a joke that ironically everyone but you got.