POLL: Which Vista Edition will you be getting?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Well, at the very least Home Premium. Are there any other features Ultimate would have that I would really care about, like business tools that I may actually use? Remote desktop?

But actually, I'm probably going to stick with XP until I feel like upgrading to 2 gigs of RAM, and even then only if my school gives me a free copy. Don't really feel like spending $300+ on a new OS that I see very few benefits to.

bigdaddy51

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2005
Vista Home premium, the best bang for your buck ,and its what my free upgrade will be.Presently running Vista ultimate RC2 build 5744 until June 2007. on an MSI K8NGM2-FID with a 3500 and 2 gigs of ram 200 gb harddrive. My pc is DEFINITELY Vista ready.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Still doing everything I need to do here on Windows 2000. By the time I feel the need to upgrade, there will probably be a successor to Vista out there (or some version of Linux that does everything I need.) We'll see.

JonathanM

Mar 4, 2002
Don't know... I haven't seen any information about OEM version of Vista. I plan to build a new machine just for Vista.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Are we sure Ultimate is the only edition with remote access (RDC)? If so that's pretty ridiculous and that would seal the deal for me on Ultimate.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
which one is like Win XP Professional? I am looking for Vista Professional

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
Originally posted by: archcommus
Are we sure Ultimate is the only edition with remote access (RDC)? If so that's pretty ridiculous and that would seal the deal for me on Ultimate.
Business, Enterprise and Ultimate are the only ones with Remote Desktop. Enterprise is volume license only.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: stash
Business, Enterprise and Ultimate are the only ones with Remote Desktop. Enterprise is volume license only.
And I'm assuming Business has no media center functionality, so yep, guess I want Ultimate.

jazzboy

May 2, 2005
I feel sorry for you guys who need the Ultimate one - seems very pricey. Is there not going to be a Vista Media Centre edition, like XP Media Centre?

Anyway for me I think I should only need Vista Basic, but I could go for Premium just to be safe :)

Brazen

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2000
I doubt I'll ever switch to Vista at home. I've been using Ubuntu and prefer it to XP, so I'll probably stick with that.

At work, we were going to upgrade to the Longhorn server when it comes out, and simultaneously upgrade to Vista for the workstations, but since MS is making business installs so much more complicated, we may be staying with 2000 a while longer, and either wait for MS to change their licensing and activation to how it is with XP Corp and earlier or start evaluating linux on our workstations.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
OEM Vista Business is only $150, The plus side of this is you can buy winxp sp2b at newegg.com right now, and get a free upgrade to Vista Business.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
And I'm assuming Business has no media center functionality, so yep, guess I want Ultimate.
That's right, Media Center is only in Home Premium and Ultimate.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Brazen
I doubt I'll ever switch to Vista at home. I've been using Ubuntu and prefer it to XP, so I'll probably stick with that.

At work, we were going to upgrade to the Longhorn server when it comes out, and simultaneously upgrade to Vista for the workstations, but since MS is making business installs so much more complicated, we may be staying with 2000 a while longer, and either wait for MS to change their licensing and activation to how it is with XP Corp and earlier or start evaluating linux on our workstations.
Activation for volume licenses is not going to go away.

I'll admit that it makes it a little more complex, but it's nothing crazy. There will also be a KMS update for Server 2003 soon, which will certainly help.

For most large networks, it will involve installing a KMS with your VL key on it. The KMS does a one time activation (over the Internet or phone) to MS. Your clients will then automatically activate against the KMS. Client deployment is simplied because VL editions don't require a key.

The KMS has a tiny footprint and can be co-located on an existing server (like a DC). Microsoft has a single KMS server (and one backup, I think) for the entire enterprise (300,000+ machines).

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: Brazen

Activation for volume licenses is not going to go away.

I'll admit that it makes it a little more complex, but it's nothing crazy. There will also be a KMS update for Server 2003 soon, which will certainly help.

For most large networks, it will involve installing a KMS with your VL key on it. The KMS does a one time activation (over the Internet or phone) to MS. Your clients will then automatically activate against the KMS. Client deployment is simplied because VL editions don't require a key.

The KMS has a tiny footprint and can be co-located on an existing server (like a DC). Microsoft has a single KMS server (and one backup, I think) for the entire enterprise (300,000+ machines).

I predict that this will cause a pretty large range of potential business/corporate customers to just skip Vista altogether. For business purposes, there is very little to recommend Vista over XP. And for that matter, I *still* see huge corporate environments where they still use a Win2k loadset. Works like a champ too.

I think their new activation scheme is misplaced at best, because corporations would rather just purchase the proper hardware/software, and go from there, than deal with any of the risk associated with pirated software.

The hacker community will always manage a version anyway, so the whole premise of adding activation just hassles the wrong people, their honest and profitable paying customers.

Of course, like any large and dominant group (see the 3rd Reich near the end), they feel that they can make no mistakes .. and that they are all-powerful. The real risk is there that businesses will start to move away from Windows platforms in large numbers, due to exaggerated software costs and unwarranted new hassles such as VLK activation.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
I predict that this will cause a pretty large range of potential business/corporate customers to just skip Vista altogether. For business purposes, there is very little to recommend Vista over XP. And for that matter, I *still* see huge corporate environments where they still use a Win2k loadset. Works like a champ too.
I diagree. First, there are several large corporate customers using VL activation today, as TAP customers. These are the groups that have provided feedback to make activation better and have signed off on the implementation.

Second, there are numerous benefits of Vista over XP in the business environment. To me, there is much more to recommend in a business environment than a home environment.

I think their new activation scheme is misplaced at best, because corporations would rather just purchase the proper hardware/software, and go from there, than deal with any of the risk associated with pirated software.
A non-trivial amount of Windows piracy stems from VL keys that are not secured properly. Activation of VL keys will reduce this problem dramatically.

Of course, like any large and dominant group (see the 3rd Reich near the end), they feel that they can make no mistakes .. and that they are all-powerful.
Ridiculous analogies aside, I'll reiterate that this has been tested and approved by a large range of business customers.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Another question.

Say you have a valid XP Pro SP2 disc and key and purchase Ultimate upgrade. Does this require you to actually have XP installed before ever installing Vista Ultimate, or do you just need to enter your XP key and your Vista key anytime you want to install. I don't know because I've never purchased upgrade editions of Windows before.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

Second, there are numerous benefits of Vista over XP in the business environment. To me, there is much more to recommend in a business environment than a home environment.

A non-trivial amount of Windows piracy stems from VL keys that are not secured properly. Activation of VL keys will reduce this problem dramatically.

Ridiculous analogies aside, I'll reiterate that this has been tested and approved by a large range of business customers.

I agree with much of what you are saying, but have two nagging questions ..

(1)- What would you say that Vista offers over XP for the average corporate desktop? I've tested all the versions that have come down the pipe so far, and haven't seen much beyond the improved search features that would matter to the huge majority of users who run email/web, and a few core apps.

(2)- Re: The VLK activation issue. I agree that this will make it less likely that you will see widespread use amongst the kind of people who currently run pirated VLKs, but I think it's similar to the music piracy issue. I believe that most businesses and corporations are honest when it comes to their software licensing, and most home users are as well (the 90+% that buy pre-built/pre-licensed systems from the big-box OEMs). What isn't clear to me, is if it's worth putting business users through additional hassles to pursue pirates who would probably never buy windows to begin with. Not to mention, now instead of VLK copies being distributed by these malcontents, we will see some other kind of hacked option, most likely being a local KMS spoof. Mark my words, you will see pirate Vista downloads all over the place, and nothing will have been accomplished beyond hassling their loyal clientele.

Don't get me wrong, I would never support piracy, but I think Microsoft is going down the wrong path with each attempt to stem the problem as yet.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Link19

A comment like that makes no sense because Windows 98/ME were POS opertaing systems and should have died as soon as Windows XP was released.

Windows XP is already a good OS and you shouldn't have to move to Vista to be able to use the newest software.

If you play games, you have to move to Vista for DX10. If you want more than 2GB of memory per process, you have to move to Vista. It has its uses.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: Link19

A comment like that makes no sense because Windows 98/ME were POS opertaing systems and should have died as soon as Windows XP was released.

Windows XP is already a good OS and you shouldn't have to move to Vista to be able to use the newest software.

If you play games, you have to move to Vista for DX10. If you want more than 2GB of memory per process, you have to move to Vista. It has its uses.
Both are true, but consider the timeframe for DX10 games. Not for AT LEAST 6 months after Vista's release, if not longer.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
(1)- What would you say that Vista offers over XP for the average corporate desktop? I've tested all the versions that have come down the pipe so far, and haven't seen much beyond the improved search features that would matter to the huge majority of users who run email/web, and a few core apps.
Well, I'm a security guy, so many of the features that I think would appeal to business are security related. I work in the US Federal government space, so there is large demand for many of these (not all security related), including:

BitLocker.
Storage of EFS keys on smartcards.
About twice as many group policy settings as XP.
IE7 protected mode
ActiveX installer service (ability to grant normal users the ability to install approved controls).
Improved remote assistance.
Drastically improved offline files.
Native IPv6 (OMB is mandating IPv6 by 2009 I think).
Drastically improved IPSec rule management that is integrated with the firewall.
WDS (Windows Deployment Services) and the associated tech, like ImageX...single image for all hardware on a common architecture (x86 or x64), easy image serviceability, etc.
UAC will make running as a standard user much easier than XP.
NAP (Network Access Protection)
CNG (Crypto-Next Generation, which includes modern crypto suites like ECC and SHA-2).

And that's hardly an exhaustive list.

Not to mention, now instead of VLK copies being distributed by these malcontents, we will see some other kind of hacked option, most likely being a local KMS spoof. Mark my words, you will see pirate Vista downloads all over the place, and nothing will have been accomplished beyond hassling their loyal clientele.
I think you have a valid point there, especially with the KMS spoof. But Microsoft has the right to protect their IP, to try to recoup lost revenue and to increase shareholder confidence. Piracy is costing the company 10s of billions of dollars annually, and that is one reason why the stock has been flat for so many years. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see if these new measures have any noticeable effect on piracy and/or if there is a backlash from the VLK user community.