POLL: Which Vista Edition will you be getting?

VIAN

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2003
There's no stopping it. MS said we have to move to Vista, so we move to Vista. I figure I'd better make the most of the money and start early.

I've been kind of wrestling with myself lately about whether to get Home Basic or Home Premium, but I've finally come to a decision. I'm going to go with Home Basic.

Home Premium is just: transparency effects + 3d windows - visual interfaces, which I think oppose productivity. There is no way that translucent windows can add to productivity. It makes menus and multiple windows difficult to navigate through. 3d windows might be a different story, but it doesn't look too promising to me. Other features are the Media Center additions, crap that I can do without.

Which version will you get?

Differences Between Editions

HOME BASIC: Basic Windows Vista - safe, reliable and easy to set up and use.

HOME PREMIUM: In addition to Home Basic - new UI Windows Aero, improved mobility for laptops and such, Windows Media Center capabilities.

BUSINESS: In addition to Home Basic - more manageable for ITs, new UI Windows Aero, Improved mobility for laptops and such, more secure wireless connections.

ULTIMATE: In addition to Home Premium & Business - remote access.

ENTERPRISE: Is not included because it is for buying windows in bulk.

Here are more detailed explanations.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I say Ultimate, just because it isn't coming out of my pocket. :/

pcgeek11

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I don't see why I would - but if I did most likely basic. Any feature that is seen in the other versions can most probably be replicated by a 3rd party program

Link19

Apr 22, 2003
You should have made the option, I will stick with Windows XP. Not everyone wants to move to Vista.

MS can't force us to move to Vista. Some people simply don't want it.

keeleysam

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2005
If and when I do move, it will have to be Ultimate. I need Remote Desktop, and one of the primary things I want out of Vista is the MCE functionality.

Canterwood

Golden Member
May 25, 2003
I'll get whatever I can get for free through work probably.

I've had a play around with the Release Candidates of Vista and done a bit of reading up on it, and tbh, I couldn't give a monkeys' about it.

I'm completely underwhelmed by the whole thing.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Link19
You should have made the option, I will stick with Windows XP. Not everyone wants to move to Vista.

Well I feel like sticking with my trusty Windows 98, that OS has served me well for 8 years.

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Originally posted by: cubby1223

Well I feel like sticking with my trusty Windows 98, that OS has served me well for 8 years.

EOL :(

spherrod

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
www.steveherrod.com

I was waiting for a comment like that :D

Oh, I'll be getting the Ultimate edition

Link19

Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: spherrod

I was waiting for a comment like that :D

Oh, I'll be getting the Ultimate edition

A comment like that makes no sense because Windows 98/ME were POS opertaing systems and should have died as soon as Windows XP was released.

Windows XP is already a good OS and you shouldn't have to move to Vista to be able to use the newest software.

You see, there is a big and I mean a big difference. Windows XP is a good OS and there is no reason why you should be forced to upgrade.

YankeesWin

Aug 3, 2001
didn't msoft say we'd be good with xp for at least 5 more years?

i'm not planning on getting vista anytime soon myself, but if f I was I'd probably get Ultimate. It's supposed to be around $150 more than Home Premium, right? If you're gonna get wet, might as well go swimming.

Canterwood

Golden Member
May 25, 2003

Indeed. Well why not. ;)

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: BehindEnemyLinesWhatever version is available on MSDN Academic Alliance.

Right on! IOW, whichever version comes as a good deal.