POLL: Which is the Greatest Beatle?

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Torghn
Where's the "they all suck" option?

Without the Beatles, music today would be totally different. They changed everything.

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
I am a HUGE Beatles fan. Paul is my favorite, but John was the greatest.

People who speak badly of them probably have no idea what type of influence they had on their favorite artists.

The Beatles = Best Band Ever.

Torghn

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Originally posted by: yellowfiero
Originally posted by: Torghn Where's the "they all suck" option?
Without the Beatles, music today would be totally different. They changed everything.

I know, everything would have been much better. ;)

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
by the way, the latest rolling stone magazine has a great article on how Paul is trying to change the credits on the songs he and John wrote all those years ago. Sad that he's trying to do this when John isn't here to fight him.

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
The beatle's were a very excellent band! Every song has some sort of Beatles influence in there some where. Any 'good' musician will be the first to admit it!

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
george was easily the best. i've come to this logic because he is a great guitar player, and i don't like the beatles.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
John was weirder and is now martyred, so folks think he had the most talent.
In reality, Paul wrote more songs, and in fact recorded more stuff.
Often he would credit Lennon/McCartney for songs he wrote and recorded solo.
Paul wanted the Beetles to work, so he would go into the studio by himself and play each instrument. A few Beetles albums are more properly McCartney solo albums.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: glen
John was weirder and is now martyred, so folks think he had the most talent.
In reality, Paul wrote more songs, and in fact recorded more stuff.
Often he would credit Lennon/McCartney for songs he wrote and recorded solo.
Paul wanted the Beetles to work, so he would go into the studio by himself and play each instrument. A few Beetles albums are more properly McCartney solo albums.
This is very true, which is why I believe Paul was the greatest Beatle.
Look at the quote here from the linked article, referring to a time when horns were locked in the past on the same issue:
This is not the first time McCartney and Ono have locked horns over songwriting credits. When the album The Beatles Anthology 3 was being compiled in 1996, John Eastman, McCartney's lawyer and brother-in-law, demanded that he receive sole credit for 18 of the songs, including "Hey Jude" and "Get Back." But because Anthology 3 came out on the Beatles-owned Apple Records label, the surviving Beatles and Ono had to approve the change, which they refused to do. Eastman later apologized, saying he was acting "without Paul McCartney's instructions."
The funny thing here is that there is absolutely no question whatsoever that Paul wrote "Hey Jude" and "Get Back" entirely on his own. Yet not only does he have to share credit with John, but he has to make sure John's name is first.
rolleye.gif

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
As a whole they were greater than the sum of their individuals. That's true of any band worth their salt. It is the success they earned together that won them the opportunity for us to know or care about them or their art as individuals.

Having said that, it's a fair bet that John's intensity and particular brand of neurosis was key to their toughing it out.