Poll: Should Sonia Sotomayor retire now?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Should Sonia Sotomayor retire now?

• Total voters

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
And we are all going to die in a ball of fire... :oops:

Not exactly a stretch to say the guy talking like a despot who incited an insurrection and tried to get his own vice president killed is a significant threat to the Republic.

Reactions: Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
apparently you haven't read a damn single history book. They literally tell you what happens, and it's not that. I mean wtf weird fucked up ignorant world do you live in?

btw the Evangelicals are the ball of fire people. Those are YOUR party's base.

The world doesn't die in a ball of fire when democracy dies, just an authoritarian regime takes over and terrible things happen. This has all been recorded hundreds of times in history books. Actually, forget a history book, can you even read something more complex than a cookbook?
He hasn't ever read a history book. If he did he would already know.

Feb 4, 2009
And we are all going to die in a ball of fire... :oops:
It could get ugly.
I can easily imagine him having better skills this round and replacing literally every official with MAGA yes men, then him saying I am staying for a third term since my second term was stolen by Joe Biden and then appointing his Son to be Dear Leader after him. Plus sell off every single secret we have.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
apparently you haven't read a damn single history book. They literally tell you what happens, and it's not that. I mean wtf weird fucked up ignorant world do you live in?

btw the Evangelicals are the ball of fire people. Those are YOUR party's base.

The world doesn't die in a ball of fire when democracy dies, just an authoritarian regime takes over and terrible things happen. This has all been recorded hundreds of times in history books. Actually, forget a history book, can you even read something more complex than a cookbook?

I'm poking at MrSquished (AKA Chicken Little).

The sky is falling Chicken Little!

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006
Not exactly a stretch to say the guy talking like a despot who incited an insurrection and tried to get his own vice president killed is a significant threat to the Republic.
Or this. "Reelect me, or there will be bloodshed" Just recently at a Nazi MAGA rally.

Reactions: dank69

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
My guess is that it is easy to decide if someone else should retire but that people are naturally blind to other people's reasoning when it comes to making that judgment oneself. I don't think most people consider the fact they will die when they look at the future. The only future there really is is that time to come in which you will be alive.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Or this. "Reelect me, or there will be bloodshed" Just recently at a Nazi MAGA rally.

Maybe it's the war against guns rather that projected self hate of others that people today are focused on that has created a condition of what I consider utter stupidity that people no longer seem to have any rational notion of the probity of self defense. How is it, I will never understand, that a person can make a direct and imminent threat of violence toward the people of the United States while running for an office in which he will make good on that threat and not be taken out one way or another. What would an armed person do if someone walked up to them with a base ball bat and tell you you are about to be beaten to death. What, me worry! It's undignified and not my job to protect the nation. We've all become Mitch McConnell.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm poking at MrSquished (AKA Chicken Little).

The sky is falling Chicken Little!
When you are in the party with the Nazis, of course to you it's no big deal.

Christ, everybody here save for a few morons knows what you are. I'm just the most potty mouthed about it.

Reactions: HomerJS

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
When you are in the party with the Nazis, of course to you it's no big deal.

Christ, everybody here save for a few morons knows what you are. I'm just the most potty mouthed about it.
Boy did you ever luck out. Just because you are a jerk that needs to put other people doesn't mean that being a putdown-slingger was the result of anything that was your fault. People might just say you were born in a barn. People have been dealing with your personality type forever. And nine out of ten world authorities agree with me so guess who isn't the moron that only your illiterate past tells you is. I'm right because I thunk this through.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I wanted to soften the blow.

This is the internet, I don't give a shit about your feelings or to sugarcoat anything. These are fucking trying times. Everyone here knows pcgeek is a GQP Nazi member and will never change. Everybody knows you are a bloviating full of shit person that likes to write flowery prose to hide your blatant lies and hypocrisy behind your major positions. Either they are more polite than I, though I have seen a number of people be fairly honest about these things with you too.

So I can be a potty mouth asshole sometimes. Doesn't make me wrong. You're still a giant bloviating hypocritical douchebag and pcgeek will be a fine brownshirt if the GQP takes over.

And I'm not arguing with people about the best color for family room furniture, we are talking about fascists vs non fascists, and gun fetishists , whose hands have the blood of tens of thousands of Americans on them year after year because they fight gun regulations like you do. These are serious fundamental issues that determine the suffering of millions of innocent people which you two will hurt. Between guns, and making people poor with horrific housing policies, and supporting the GQP (inpcgeeks case) - literally, that's what is the end result of your guys' feelings.

People have talked to you people politely for years now. Everywhere, and on this forum itself. And look, you two are still the same fucks. So why beat around the bush? After all these years of watching the political discourse in this country and being fooled by the election of Obama that we were actually moving forward and people could evolve, it got worse. I don't have time to dance around the truth anymore. I'm just quicker to the point and speak plainly. We need people to start to recognize who the enemies are much faster, or we will go the way of many societies where authoritarian nastiness took over because people were being too busy being polite and in denial.

But you two commiserating schmucks haven't read a history book, not my problem.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
It could get ugly.
I can easily imagine him having better skills this round and replacing literally every official with MAGA yes men, then him saying I am staying for a third term since my second term was stolen by Joe Biden and then appointing his Son to be Dear Leader after him. Plus sell off every single secret we have.

I mean it's already written in Project 2025 that they will have loyalists in every major position.

Saw a quote on Twitter the other day which nicely sums up our current predicament:

"Dems have to win (big) every time, if the GOP only wins once more, it's over."

So tell me how anyone here can feel rosy about the future even if we skate by 2024?

Honestly, maybe we SHOULD balkanize.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I mean it's already written in Project 2025 that they will have loyalists in every major position.

Saw a quote on Twitter the other day which nicely sums up our current predicament:

"Dems have to win (big) every time, if the GOP only wins once more, it's over."

So tell me how anyone here can feel rosy about the future even if we skate by 2024?

Honestly, maybe we SHOULD balkanize.
Damn how many diapers do you go through each day?

Reactions: pcgeek11 and iRONic

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Before answering read article detailing her age and current health. I don't need to review the history of the court but will just throw in a couple on names. Look them up and their relationship in the makeup of the court over the last 15 years. Your selection is not permanent. Feel free to change your mind later.

Ruth Bador Ginsburg
Amy Comey Barret
Brett Kavanaugh
Mitch McConnell

It would not make a difference if she did or she did not. If she did, the Republican held house will scream what they did back in 2016, which was the election would decide it all.

Feb 4, 2009
It would not make a difference if she did or she did not. If she did, the Republican held house will scream what they did back in 2016, which was the election would decide it all.
Or as the article asks “What benefit does her staying on the Court bring?”
A Hispanic Judge, does that outweigh the risk of her having to serve another 8, 10 or 12 years? Whomever gets the seat would deliver the same votes and fill the same role they’d just be younger and presumably healthier.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Well the house has nothing to do with it only the Senate.