Poll: Should Sonia Sotomayor retire now?

Should Sonia Sotomayor retire now?

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Before answering read article detailing her age and current health. I don't need to review the history of the court but will just throw in a couple on names. Look them up and their relationship in the makeup of the court over the last 15 years. Your selection is not permanent. Feel free to change your mind later.

Ruth Bador Ginsburg
Amy Comey Barret
Brett Kavanaugh
Mitch McConnell

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If Dems have the votes in the Senate to do it, and Mitch doesn't have some weird fuckwad way of blocking it, they absolutely should.

That said, this political shell game with the justices just reinforces the need for court reform to take it from this political entity to a set of 13 revolving seats from each federal circuit, with justices having set terms before stepping back down to being a federal judge.

This loosy goosy political maneuvering shit needs to go.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Currently I say yes but do it after the election and before inauguration if Biden loses. Do it in the same about of weeks as it took for ACB just to make a point.

Get a few young, progressive and qualified names now and be ready for Nov 7. If Biden wins, she gets to stay.

Note how I said qualified which is #1 consideration. Unlike the right.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Currently I say yes but do it after the election and before inauguration if Biden loses. Do it in the same about of weeks as it took for ACB just to make a point.

Get a few young, progressive and qualified names now and be ready for Nov 7. If Biden wins, she gets to stay.

Note how I said qualified which is #1 consideration. Unlike the right.
what if he wins but loses the senate majority? Then he's gonna get blocked or he's going to have to come up with some BS compromise candidate. the senate map looks bleak this cycle for the democrats.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
what if he wins but loses the senate majority? Then he's gonna get blocked or he's going to have to come up with some BS compromise candidate. the senate map looks bleak this cycle for the democrats.

It does seem somewhat likely that a R senate never again confirms a SCOTUS appointment from a sitting D president.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
It does seem somewhat likely that a R senate never again confirms a SCOTUS appointment from a sitting D president.
I think they wouldn't block replacing a liberal with another liberal, especially when they already have 6 conservatives. I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but it seems unnecessary.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think they wouldn't block replacing a liberal with another liberal, especially when they already have 6 conservatives. I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but it seems unnecessary.
Judicial appointments are not subject to filibuster

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes she should retire and the answer is obvious. A large number of egregious decisions that Sotomayor clearly things are terrible are the direct result of RBG not doing this. The exact consequences are staring her in the face!

Reactions: gothuevos

Drach

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2022
A 69 yo diabetic that takes care of her health? No she should not retire.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Of course the answer is yes as she is a Democrat and in support of her party she should retire so that old Joe can do his thing and appoint another Democrat.

RBG was just too full of her own importance to do what she knew she should have done and retire.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Of course the answer is yes as she is a Democrat and in support of her party she should retire so that old Joe can do his thing and appoint another Democrat.

RBG was just too full of her own importance to do what she knew she should have done and retire.

This criticism would also apply to Thomas who appears very willing to die on the bench rather than leave.

Reactions: Pohemi

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It doesn't. Why do you want her to retire.
Because if she doesn't retire now there's a non-trivial chance that the Democrats will not simultaneously control the presidency and the Senate for a very long time.

So you can gamble that the Democrats hold both in the future on the day Sotomayor decides to retire or dies, or you can get a much younger replacement who is likely to live much longer and thus give Democrats more opportunity to replace THEM in favorable circumstances.

Feb 4, 2009

More or less yeah. She probably wanted the First Woman President to replace the First Woman Justice.
But yeah she should have retired earlier.

Reactions: pcgeek11

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
it doesn't matter. if Joe Biden doesn't win, democracy is over and it matters not who is on the supreme court.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
And we are all going to die in a ball of fire... :oops:

apparently you haven't read a damn single history book. They literally tell you what happens, and it's not that. I mean wtf weird fucked up ignorant world do you live in?

btw the Evangelicals are the ball of fire people. Those are YOUR party's base.

The world doesn't die in a ball of fire when democracy dies, just an authoritarian regime takes over and terrible things happen. This has all been recorded hundreds of times in history books. Actually, forget a history book, can you even read something more complex than a cookbook?