Poll: Religion out of Politics?

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Poll: Religion out of Politics?

My Vote: Yes.
Reason: If I see another religious guy on any news station about "God" and his ways with homosexuality, etc.. Im going to SNAP!

Curious to see who disagrees and why.

Im With Stupid

Oct 15, 2006
I agree. Obviously religious beliefs are going to influence peoples decisions, but it's always dangerous to have religious justification for any decisions. Politicians shouldn't be doing things because they believe it's the right thing to do, they should be doing things because they think it will benefit society and their country in some way. And therefore, when they are debating these issues, they should make a political argument based on what they believe the benefits will be, rather than any sort of moral argument.

Arguing against homosexuality "because it's wrong" is a non-argument in my opinion, and one that doesn't belong in a political debate. Arguing against homosexuality because you believe it has a negative impact on society, wouldn't be something I agree with, but at least it would be a political argument. I find that people tend to turn to religious arguments when they don't have a political leg to stand on, and that is demonstrated by the fact that people with a religious agenda will always resort to political arguments whenever possible, and religious arguments when they know that their political argument isn't convincing anyone.

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Im With Stupid
I agree. Obviously religious beliefs are going to influence peoples decisions, but it's always dangerous to have religious justification for any decisions. Politicians shouldn't be doing things because they believe it's the right thing to do, they should be doing things because they think it will benefit society and their country in some way. And therefore, when they are debating these issues, they should make a political argument based on what they believe the benefits will be, rather than any sort of moral argument.

Arguing against homosexuality "because it's wrong" is a non-argument in my opinion, and one that doesn't belong in a political debate. Arguing against homosexuality because you believe it has a negative impact on society, wouldn't be something I agree with, but at least it would be a political argument. I find that people tend to turn to religious arguments when they don't have a political leg to stand on, and that is demonstrated by the fact that people with a religious agenda will always resort to political arguments whenever possible, and religious arguments when they know that their political argument isn't convincing anyone.

I agree

AutumnRayne

Sep 3, 2003
I do not want a person's religion legislating for me. As far as homosexuality goes, whatever you do behind closed doors is your business. They aren't hurting anyone, they are just trying to live their life. However we have these politicians ruling by their religion, and saying that homosexuals can't have the same rights as every other human. It's ridiculous.

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
I don't believe I can overstate how absolutely vital it is to see this happen.

Another vital thing: getting the corporations out of politics.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: AutumnRayne
I do not want a person's religion legislating for me.

As far as homosexuality goes, whatever you do behind closed doors is your business.

They aren't hurting anyone, they are just trying to live their life.

However we have these politicians ruling by their religion, and saying that homosexuals can't have the same rights as every other human.

It's ridiculous.

Welcome to P&N.

Will there ever be enough Non-Christian block voters to counteract the Church vote???

They have an incentive program inplace that is hard to beat.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
I'm sorry to say that I have to disagree.

To remove Religion from Politics, that means removing anybody who is religious from politics. There's plenty of smart, educated, fair religious people amoung the populous. In fact, theres plenty of religious people who may be less likely to be corrupt because they fear a higher power may not like what they are doing.

However, most in politics say they are religious to get a vote, and really many aren't religious at all. Its safe to say if you remove religious people from politics, the same people will still be in politics because they aren't religious to begin with. And I have a feeling they will be even worse the second time around. Just my opinion.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: brandonb

To remove Religion from Politics, that means removing anybody who is religious from politics. There's plenty of smart, educated, fair religious people amoung the populous. In fact, theres plenty of religious people who may be less likely to be corrupt because they fear a higher power may not like what they are doing.

However, most in politics say they are religious to get a vote, and really many aren't religious at all. Its safe to say if you remove religious people from politics, the same people will still be in politics because they aren't religious to begin with. And I have a feeling they will be even worse the second time around. Just my opinion.

God help us :roll:

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It is absolutely imparitive that religion must play no part in politics.
It is also important that politics absulutely must not play any part in religion.

If the two get mixed up in any way, shape, or form, that can only lead to corruption.

Ohh they have already mixed, in that case we're screwed.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: brandonb

Religion is a personal matter and shouldn't be discussed in any form or fashion in the public square. If more people would stick to that, the level of intolerance in this country would drop dramatically.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Politics is religion to many people.

You have people on both sides of the aisle trying to convert the non-believers(people who dont believe in their political ideology).

The idea getting rid of organized religion in politics will solve your answer is silly.

Trevelyan

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by: ayabe
Religion is a personal matter and shouldn't be discussed in any form or fashion in the public square.

That doesn't sound like freedom to me.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Trevelyan
Religion is a personal matter and shouldn't be discussed in any form or fashion in the public square.

Freedom according to the left, only applies to the left.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006

Religion is a personal matter and shouldn't be discussed in any form or fashion in the public square. If more people would stick to that, the level of intolerance in this country would drop dramatically.

I would agree. However, like I mentioned, the only way to truely remove religion from politics is to remove religious people from politics. Its easy for anybody religious or not to be objective and not let their personal feelings sway their opinion, but at some level it will.

Religious or athiest, everybody has their own views. There's athiests that are anti-gay, just as there is religious people who may support gays. Nobody is immune to ethical or moral opinions which may get into politics.

Remember, this country is founded on representatives. If a high christian area wants to make sure their christian values are represented in government, isn't that ok? Sure it is. That is the point of representatives. If a high gay area wants to make sure their gay values are represented in government, isn't that ok as well? I'm not for banning gay marriage across the board... But to say a christian representative for his christian area can't be religious because it needs to be out of politics, then it goes against what this country is founded on.

Thats why I vote no on this poll.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87

You guys are really a laugh riot.

I didn't say make it illegal. I'm not the one legislating morality. Conservatism and the religious right are incompatible, government according to you should be as least invasive of personal freedoms as possible. But the people your party panders to now is the exact opposite. Remember the ferver over JFK when he was elected, that he would be taking orders from the Pope? That was from Conservatives, well you have that now in the form of this administration, times ten, and James Dobson etc. aren't nearly as fair as the Pope.

The fact is, in most places if you aren't a Christian or at least pretend to be, you can't be elected. There's something wrong with that.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
For those that chose no, would you be ok with a practicing Satanist holding public office and spouting off about how Satan told him he should be mayor/councilman/rep./senator????

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I disagree.

This is the problem:

Our constitution guarantees freedom of speech.

The free speech of liberal activists have just as much validity as the free speech of a Religious activist.

If you will allow free speech for Anti-Religious A-Moral people who are so greedy they only care about themseleves then you need some oppostion to that.

I dont believe the state has the right to enforce a religion or pick a state religion, or give preferencial treatment of one religion over another. However, if a religion has been commandeered by terrorists I support the right of the state to infiltrate it and spy on it. In the constitution it specifically says that the State will make no laws that prohibit a person from practicing their religion. Be very careful what you do. One day maybe the State will come to shut you down because you do not think like everyone else. First it is religion, then it is everyone who has a slightly different philosophy or espouses ideas that the state deems harmful for society.

On any issue, any person regardless of Religion, should be able to endorse any Bill idea or concept. Religion is more than just God and the belief in God. Religion can also be described as any group of people with a common pilosophical belief system or an approach to life. Yoga can be described as a religion for some people along with some of the teaching of Martial Arts.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: piasabird
I disagree.

This is the problem:

Our constitution guarantees freedom of speech.

The free speech of liberal activists have just as much validity as the free speech of a Religious activist.

If you will allow free speech for Anti-Religious A-Moral people who are so greedy they only care about themseleves then you need some oppostion to that.

I dont believe the state has the right to enforce a religion or pick a state religion, or give preferencial treatment of one religion over another. However, if a religion has been commandeered by terrorists I support the right of the state to infiltrate it and spy on it. In the constitution it specifically says that the State will make no laws that prohibit a person from practicing their religion. Be very careful what you do. One day maybe the State will come to shut you down because you do not think like everyone else. First it is religion, then it is everyone who has a slightly different philosophy or espouses ideas that the state deems harmful for society.

On any issue, any person regardless of Religion, should be able to endorse any Bill idea or concept. Religion is more than just God and the belief in God. Religion can also be described as any group of people with a common pilosophical belief system or an approach to life. Yoga can be described as a religion for some people along with some of the teaching of Martial Arts.

What are you talking about? Sterotype much? This is the problem, people like you think that someone who isn't religious lacks morality and is selfish. They aren't missing something, they don't need to be "saved", they aren't "sick".

You want to be religious? Fine with me. But don't use your religion as an excuse to discriminate against people. Again, religion is a personal matter, same with sexuality. It's none of my business in either case. There is more than one way to live your life and be a good person. The mistake of most organized religions is that they feel their beliefs are the only true ones and everyone who doesn't think like them, or believe in what they believe is a heretic.

Well that's bunk and about as anti-American as you can get.

Im With Stupid

Oct 15, 2006

I don't think you can say that. There's nothing wrong with discussing religion in public, but only if it's a religious discussion. There's no place for religious views in political discussions. Political discussions should be about cause and effect, and factual data, not morality. Morality will determine whether people agree that the effects that the politician is proposing are desirable, but they should not form part of the discussion.

Oh and for all you defensive Christians, athiests can have religious opinions too. Members of organised religions don't have a monopoly on those, you know? And yes, they should keep them to themselves in political discussions too.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I didn't say make it illegal. I'm not the one legislating morality. Conservatism and the religious right are incompatible, government according to you should be as least invasive of personal freedoms as possible. But the people your party panders to now is the exact opposite. Remember the ferver over JFK when he was elected, that he would be taking orders from the Pope? That was from Conservatives, well you have that now in the form of this administration, times ten, and James Dobson etc. aren't nearly as fair as the Pope.

The fact is, in most places if you aren't a Christian or at least pretend to be, you can't be elected. There's something wrong with that.

Why? The people they are representing are preodominately Christian.

And how do you take religion out of politics without making it illegal?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Pens1566
For those that chose no, would you be ok with a practicing Satanist holding public office and spouting off about how Satan told him he should be mayor/councilman/rep./senator????

If that is what the people who elected him want, what right do I have to say no?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Wow! Another Christian bashing thread. [/shock]

I find it amusing that Christians are supposed to ignore the very guidelines by which they live when discussing politics. You guys call it their "personal life". Well sorry to break the news to you but when you vote for a person you vote for what they believe in

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Why? The people they are representing are preodominately Christian.

And how do you take religion out of politics without making it illegal?

Well that's true of many western democracies, France and Britain manage to do it, maybe we should ask them.

Well here's a start, politicians shouldn't be attending these Justice Sunday events, railing against activist judges, demonizing democrats and the like.