POLL: manual drivers, how do you park your car?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
Originally posted by: Rahminator
I always put it in 1st. I rarely pull the parking brake, unless I'm on a considerable incline.

Originally posted by: Anubis
usially leave it in first with NO handbrake

WTF is wrong with you people? :confused:

- M4H

why should i use the handbrake? i park it in my garage its not gonna roll any place, unless i park on a hill i never use the break, i never have my dad sister and brother also only use the hand brake when they are on a hill, my dad leaves his car in reverse cause he has to to take the key out he has a sabb

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Because that's what it's FOR!!
Leaving it in neutral I don't agree with, but at least it's understandable. Not using the PARKING BRAKE when PARKING?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Jzero
Leaving it in neutral I don't agree with, but at least it's understandable. Not using the PARKING BRAKE when PARKING?

its still called a parking break in an automatic do you use it then?

Jan 31, 2002
why should i use the handbrake? i park it in my garage its not gonna roll any place, unless i park on a hill i never use the break, i never have my dad sister and brother also only use the hand brake when they are on a hill, my dad leaves his car in reverse cause he has to to take the key out he has a sabb

Now, what happens when you haven't used the parking brake for six months and then suddenly need to park on an incline? I mean, it's not like they seize up from not being used, right? They'll just fully release when you want them to, no matter how much crap there is in the lines.

- M4H

Jan 31, 2002

YES!

- M4H

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

YES!

- M4H

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

YES!

- M4H

humm well i cant recall a time in the past 6 years that i have used the parking break in my automatic, ive never had to park someplace where i needed it, same think with any standards i have driven

Jan 31, 2002

YES!

- M4H

humm well i cant recall a time in the past 6 years that i have used the parking break in my automatic, ive never had to park someplace where i needed it, same think with any standards i have driven

Let's look at a "real world" scenario.

Two cars are parked on opposite sides of a flat road.
My Civic is in gear with the parking brake engaged.
Your Saab is in gear without the parking brake engaged.

Two soccermoms in minivans come driving down the road from opposite directions, both swerve to avoid each other, and give the back end of their respective vehicles a sound bumper-to-bumper blow. Cosmetic damage is minimal to none.

Now. One of these vehicles has a little scuff on the parking brake and is at rest about six inches from the minivan.
The other just got its transmission ripped to shreds and has rolled into a ditch.

Tell me - which is which?

- M4H

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

YES!

- M4H

Let's look at a "real world" scenario.

Two cars are parked on opposite sides of a flat road.
My Civic is in gear with the parking brake engaged.
Your Saab is in gear without the parking brake engaged.

Two soccermoms in minivans come driving down the road from opposite directions, both swerve to avoid each other, and give the back end of their respective vehicles a sound bumper-to-bumper blow. Cosmetic damage is minimal to none.

Now. One of these vehicles has a little scuff on the parking brake and is at rest about six inches from the minivan.
The other just got its transmission ripped to shreds and has rolled into a ditch.

Tell me - which is which?

- M4H

i get you point dude but its not gonna make me start useing teh handbrake in my car when i park on a flat place, i actually dont personally know anyone that uses the handbrake when not parking on a hill
if my car gets rear ended and ends up in a ditch o well thats why i have insurance

Jan 31, 2002
i get you point dude but its not gonna make me start useing teh handbrake in my car when i park on a flat place, i actually dont personally know anyone that uses the handbrake when not parking on a hill
if my car gets rear ended and ends up in a ditch o well thats why i have insurance

"Birds of a feather ..." :p

- M4H

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I don't know anybody - except drivers of automatic domestics (I know that sounds like a made up insult, but it's true) - who don't use the handbrake, hill or flat!

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
In either 1st (uphill or flat) or reverse (downhill) with the parking brake up to the last click. Always. Even in my garage.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I don't know anybody - except drivers of automatic domestics (I know that sounds like a made up insult, but it's true) - who don't use the handbrake, hill or flat!

i can see that
carse i drive regularly
92 ford tempo - automatic
2000 Durango - auto
2000 Sabb 9-3 viggen - manual
94 infinity q45 - auto
74 Porsche 911 - manual

never use the parking break in any of them and neither do the other that drive them, my roomie has a 92 4runner standard and he never uses the hand brake, other roomie has a 94 lexis ls300 auto and doesn?t ever use it, my friend matt has at his disposal 3 BMWs ( Z3, M3 and a 328i) and a Mini cooper S all standard and he doesn?t use the e brake unless he?s doing ebrake turns, My friend rich has a 2001 Porsche Carrera 4s standard and doesn?t use the hand brake

so your argument could be right but could be not

Jan 31, 2002

i can see that
carse i drive regularly
2000 Durango - auto
94 infinity q45 - auto
74 Porsche 911 - manual

never use the parking break in any of them and neither do the other that drive them, my roomie has a 92 4runner standard and he never uses the hand brake, other roomie has a 94 lexis ls300 auto and doesn?t ever use it, my friend matt has at his disposal 3 BMWs ( Z3, M3 and a 328i) and a Mini cooper S all standard and he doesn?t use the e brake unless he?s doing ebrake turns, My friend rich has a 2001 Porsche Carrera 4s standard and doesn?t use the hand brake

Just goes to show you that with all the money in the world, you still can't buy a clue. :p

- M4H

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

i can see that
carse i drive regularly
2000 Durango - auto
94 infinity q45 - auto
74 Porsche 911 - manual

I checked your profile. You are from Pennsylvania. It all makes sense now. :D

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com

i can see that
carse i drive regularly
2000 Durango - auto
94 infinity q45 - auto
74 Porsche 911 - manual

Just goes to show you that with all the money in the world, you still can't buy a clue. :p

- M4H

actually dont think any of them actually paied for their own cars, Rich's unkel gave him that porsche cause he didnt like it, and matts parents own all thoes bimers and mino cooper he just drivges what ever is there when he needs a car, usially the mini or M3, Mikes dad gave him that lexis,....

none of us are over 23 we still have a chance to get a clue

EDIT: AND NO Jzero im not from PA i just go to school here Im originally from Maine and Live in NY now, Matt is teh only one from PA, rich is from NJ, mike if from CT and will is from VA

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
I leave it in 1st or reverse depending on whether I backed in or pulled in forward so that the car will be in the gear I need it to be in to get out of the parking spot. When parallel parking it's about a 50/50 split, usually there I leave it in whichever gear (1st or reverse) was used for the final maneuvering. The handbrake is _always_ used.

ZV

Feb 10, 2000

actually dont think any of them actually paied for their own cars, Rich's unkel gave him that porsche cause he didnt like it, and matts parents own all thoes bimers and mino cooper he just drivges what ever is there when he needs a car, usially the mini or M3, Mikes dad gave him that lexis,....

none of us are over 23 we still have a chance to get a clue

EDIT: AND NO Jzero im not from PA i just go to school here Im originally from Maine and Live in NY now, Matt is teh only one from PA, rich is from NJ, mike if from CT and will is from VA

I'm not sure what difference it makes who "paied" for these cars - anyone who does not use the handbrake with a manual transmission car has a lot to learn. This is just asking for trouble, and I would use the handbrake if I were driving a stripped-out Chevette, just as I would with a Viggen, or a Ferrari 575M for that matter. It's just stupid not to.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I would recommend use of the handbrake. A friend totaled a new to the family bmw when he was 16 or 17 because he parked on a hill, forgot to put the thing in gear, and since he was used to driving autos and never bothered with the handbrake, we came out of the store a few minutes later to find his new 3 series acquinting itself with a tree. I always leave it in gear, but if I had to pick one I'd personally go with the brake. Use both. It's a small bit of effort, and really that's what it's for.

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
leave it in reverse and put the handbrake on, regardless of direction I need to go when leaving

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: BDawg
Always in reverse with the handbrake on. In SAABs, the key will not come out of the ignition unless the car is in reverse.

What if you're parked on a hill? It would be bad for it to be in reverse.

People from other countries are stupid. ;) :p

I do 1st/Reverse with handbrake. Always.

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I grew up before they had clutch lockouts, and would forget to take it out of gear when starting. Not fun when you're parked close to another vehicle... :eek:

I just maintained the habit.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Yes. But only because I actually know how tiny the parking pawl is inside of an automatic transmission and I know that it's easy to have it get jammed making it difficult to take the car out of park. I also know that if I don't use the parking brake, the cable will freeze and then the brake won't work when I do need it.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Originally posted by: BDawg
Always in reverse with the handbrake on. In SAABs, the key will not come out of the ignition unless the car is in reverse.
What if you're parked on a hill? It would be bad for it to be in reverse.
No it wouldn't. The engine doesn't care which direction the crankshaft rotates as long as it's being rotated by an outside force. The only reason that the engine has to "spin" in a particular direction is so that intake and exhaust occur in the proper sequence for combustion. There's no mechanical reason.

ZV