POLL: manual drivers, how do you park your car?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Something I've meant to ask is this - whenever I jack my cars up I have them always in first gear, but absolutely nothing is preventing the wheels from spinning. They spin into oblivion, which makes it hard undoing lugnuts sometimes - why is that? Going with that line of thinking, my leaving them in gear would be pointless when I park (I do anyway though).

I jack the car up just enough to leave enough pressure to keep the tire from spinning, loosen the lugnuts, give teh jack a couple more cranks, then spin the wheel & take off the nuts the rest of the way off by hand, or just spin the 4 way lug wrench to take them off the rest of the way. Re tighten the same way, but I use a torque wrench since that whole all 4 wheels coming off my van cuz some asshole handed me metric lug nuts with an impact tool & the end over end thing I did:( You haven't lived till you flip a full size van end over end @ ~40 mph.
Huh? What happened with your wheels coming off?! Lugs were overtightened or what? I think its sage for anybody who gets their wheels taken off and put back on anywhere but their own garage to re-screw them theirselves, so that they can get it off should they have a flat. In my limited experience it's impossible to use the tire-changing kit on the lugs after a lot of these places take 5 thousand pounds of torque onto them ;)

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I have the transmission in neutral and use the hand brake. I am not sure why I started doing it this way.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Always in reverse with the handbrake on. In SAABs, the key will not come out of the ignition unless the car is in reverse.

MomAndSkoorbaby

Diamond Member
May 6, 2001
Funny, I was thinking about this yesterday! I put it in first or reverse depending on the incline with the handbrake....

Shockwave

Banned
Sep 16, 2000
Flatlands of Ne.
Half the time I would push in clutch, turn off engine and coast to a stop then left out clutch once car was stopped. Half the time I'd do the above except just leave it out of gear.
Really no need to use the brake OR leave in gear when you could sit on a barstool and look across half the state its so flat.

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: BDawg
Always in reverse with the handbrake on. In SAABs, the key will not come out of the ignition unless the car is in reverse.

Same but some times I'm not all the way into reverse.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Something I've meant to ask is this - whenever I jack my cars up I have them always in first gear, but absolutely nothing is preventing the wheels from spinning. They spin into oblivion, which makes it hard undoing lugnuts sometimes - why is that? Going with that line of thinking, my leaving them in gear would be pointless when I park (I do anyway though).

I jack the car up just enough to leave enough pressure to keep the tire from spinning, loosen the lugnuts, give teh jack a couple more cranks, then spin the wheel & take off the nuts the rest of the way off by hand, or just spin the 4 way lug wrench to take them off the rest of the way. Re tighten the same way, but I use a torque wrench since that whole all 4 wheels coming off my van cuz some asshole handed me metric lug nuts with an impact tool & the end over end thing I did:( You haven't lived till you flip a full size van end over end @ ~40 mph.
Huh? What happened with your wheels coming off?! Lugs were overtightened or what? I think its sage for anybody who gets their wheels taken off and put back on anywhere but their own garage to re-screw them theirselves, so that they can get it off should they have a flat. In my limited experience it's impossible to use the tire-changing kit on the lugs after a lot of these places take 5 thousand pounds of torque onto them ;)

I put some take-off rims on my van that I'd purchased from a guy who scavanges/swaps new rims. Did it @ his shop myself to save some $, the existing lug nuts' shoulders were too small, so he handed me a box of new factory GM lug nuts & an air impact tool. I put them on, got about 40 miles away, was thinking about pulling over & re-tightening them, when I noticed a tire/rim passing me on the road, it was my tire & rim... The extra vibration'shudder caused @ least 2 more rims to come off a split second later, & my van swung around ass first into a center curb/median on divided road, there was just enough energy left to launch me end over end X2, coming to rest in the center median about 20 feet short of a hispanic work crew that was planting trees. They were pretty impresed (& happy that I didn't land on them like Dorothy's house in the Wizard of Oz).

The rim scalper guy had handed me metric lug nuts & I couldn't tell they didn't snug up bacause I was using an unfamiliar impact tool that prob, stripped the treads enough to keep the rims in place for 40 miles worth of driving.

I talked to a lawyer & we looked into it, but since I had essentially done it to myself, insurance covered the van & it would have ruined the guy's life, I didn't sue.

Cliff notes:

Buy a torque wrench
Always torque your lug nuts
Pliablemoose is as beat up as the neighborhood tomcat, but has a charmed life...

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Don_Vito
I have a question - why would anyone, under any circumstances, not leave their car in gear?

Ever have a really hard time getting out of bed and off to work in the morning, pressing in the clutch to start the car, forgetting its in gear (cause of sleepiness), and quickly removing your foot off the clutch? I have....just a time or 2. The ony time I left my car in gear is when my E-Brake cable snapped, so it had to be left in gear.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Depending on which way the car is inclined, if facing downhill I leave it in R, if facing uphill I leave it in 2nd. If level, then probably 2nd. And I always use the ebrake too.

What's weird is one of my friends always uses the ebrake on his autotranny cars. I guess it doesn't hurt, in fact, might be good for it, but it just seems odd to me.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
I never use my parking brake unless I'm on an incline, on level ground leaving it in first is just fine.

I see people leave their cars in gear with the parking brake on when parked on level ground, makes me wonder why they think that's necessary :p

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: geno
I never use my parking brake unless I'm on an incline, on level ground leaving it in first is just fine.

I see people leave their cars in gear with the parking brake on when parked on level ground, makes me wonder why they think that's necessary :p

Habbit. Its just what I go through before getting out of the car and since it can only help having both I don't see a problem with it.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Originally posted by: rbloedow
I only use my handbrake when on an incline (IE: Never - I live in FL) :p

Pull into parking spot - push clutch pedal - shift into first - release clutch - get out of car. I hardly ever use my handbrake.

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Valhalla1
and whatever you do DONT do it in this order :

pull into parking space
pull handbrake
release clutch
car lurches to embarrasing scraping halt at curb
???
profit!

That was good!

I pull into a spot, neutral, shut off, leave in gear. I never use the handbrake.

no0b

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
Originally posted by: dirtboy
At night I leave it in neutral with the parking brake engaged, doors unlocked and the key in the ignition. During the day I, of course, lock the car, but it stays in neutral. It's not all that hilly here and it's rather unlikely that the e-brake will fail.

Where do you live? :evil:

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
First gear & ebrake. I never have to park on an incline (FL..heh..)..but if I did, it wouldn't really make much difference..

JohhnyQueefer

Mar 28, 2004
You should always park it in gear. I had a friend that thought he was in a level parking lot. The e-brake let go and his car went into a big ditch.

sweettart

Nov 23, 2003
I've been driving my mustang with a stick since august. I always do neutral and parking brake. My dad said always use parking break even if I live in FL, so I do that, but

Is it best to leave it in gear or neutral? Does it really make a differece on flat land. My car doesnt even roll easy. I see cars roll backwards all the time when I am at stoplights and I take my foot off the brake and I don't go anywhere. Thanks for the help, I am still new to the stick thing but I really wanted my mustang.

I have a question - why would anyone, under any circumstances, not leave their car in gear?
I never leave my car in gear.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Aharami
i leave it in neutral and handbrake. i dont like to leave it in gear

I really don't know what it is about Americans that prevents you to use the handbrake when you park. That's what it's there for.

When I'm driving a manual:
Into neutral and handbrake on.

When I'm driving an auto:
Into Park and handbrake on.

Confused

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: DaTT

Ever have a really hard time getting out of bed and off to work in the morning, pressing in the clutch to start the car, forgetting its in gear (cause of sleepiness), and quickly removing your foot off the clutch? I have....just a time or 2. The ony time I left my car in gear is when my E-Brake cable snapped, so it had to be left in gear.

Uh, no, I haven't. Actually you can't start my car without the clutch in, and I think that's true for most or all newer manual cars.

Rahminator

Oct 11, 2001
I always put it in 1st. I rarely pull the parking brake, unless I'm on a considerable incline.

dmurray14

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
Yeah seriously...there is a reason it's called the "parking brake."

Usually, I will leave the car in neutral w/ handbrake, but if I'm on an incline I will put on the handbrake, and leave it in either 1st or reverse depending on the direction the car is facing, and which way the slope is.

Dan