Poll: Is Ron DeSantis violating the 1A rights of Disney?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Is Ron DeSantis violating the 1A rights of Disney?

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Lol pcgeek11
Wonder why he thinks it's cool to penalize people (Republican designation) who speak out against government policies? Hasn't what's going on in Russia shown everyone that is a bad idea?

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Wonder why he thinks it's cool to penalize people (Republican designation) who speak out against government policies. Hasn't what's going on in Russia shown everyone that is a bad idea?
Interestingly enough that means if he’s staying logically consistent he supports the government punishing churches and corporations like Hobby Lobby for taking conservative political positions.

If he ever enters this threat I suspect he will claim he doesn’t support that but is still being logically consistent. When asked to explain his reasoning he will refuse as it’s a secret.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Wonder why he thinks it's cool to penalize people (Republican designation) who speak out against government policies. Hasn't what's going on in Russia shown everyone that is a bad idea?
The geekster is a might makes right kind of guy. If you can do it why the fuck not?

Reactions: Meghan54

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Interestingly enough that means if he’s staying logically consistent he supports the government punishing churches and corporations like Hobby Lobby for taking conservative political positions.

If he ever enters this threat I suspect he will claim he doesn’t support that but is still being logically consistent. When asked to explain his reasoning he will refuse as it’s a secret.
@pcgeek11 logically consistent?
raw

Reactions: Meghan54

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

For posterity...

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
For posterity...
Yeah his position on birth control is laughable, calling it not a health measure. It's a pill that prevents a medical condition called pregnancy, a medical condition that is associated with high rates of mortality and morbidity in women. It's a medical condition and doctors spend decades specializing in learning how to manage it.

Also it's pretty clear that this law is retaliatory. The problem is I'm not sure it's unconstitutional for a state to pass a law through the normal channels to punish a group for speaking out. The powers state legislatures have are pretty broad, particularly when it comes to taxes. Bad look sure but unconstitutional? I dunno. I mean if Congress got together and decided to eliminate tax free status for churches because of something crazy some pastor said, I'm not sure it's violating any law.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I sure would like a honest look at this matter re a criminal law viewpoint. An admitted impetus for this action is the cutting off of political donations. Sure is looking like an abuse of power for improper and illegal purposes-punishing a constituent for not "voluntarily" giving funds to the politician. If only we had a proactive Attorney General instead of a milk toast.

Reactions: dank69 and Zorba

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I am not a fan of Disney currently, but I don't agree with this either really. Actually, I think Disney should have self governing ability, and that it's law should be enforced by storm troopers. Set blasters on stun!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Surprisingly I’m finally starting to see some traction and discussion from the news that highlights this first amendment violation.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I am not a fan of Disney currently, but I don't agree with this either really. Actually, I think Disney should have self governing ability, and that it's law should be enforced by storm troopers. Set blasters on stun!
I've actually had storm troopers order me around and demand to see my "papers" at Disney before.

Reactions: Shmee

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Serious question - remember the fake ‘IRS scandal’ of the Obama years where conservatives falsely claimed the IRS was targeting them for being conservative? Even if that were true are conservatives now claiming the IRS was within its rights to do so? It sure sounds like it.

Reactions: hal2kilo

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Serious question - remember the fake ‘IRS scandal’ of the Obama years where conservatives falsely claimed the IRS was targeting them for being conservative? Even if that were true are conservatives now claiming the IRS was within its rights to do so? It sure sounds like it.

Yes, the argument is that not only is it legal for them to use state power to inhibit speech that it is now morally correct and required. If such entities change their speech to the preferred one however they will enjoy the favors of the regime.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Being that DeSantis AND NOW Florida are hostel to the Disney Corporation, I really don't know why Disney reacts by simply pulling out of Florida all together. How can it be in Disney's best interest to remain? And what further DeSantis horrors are yet to come? You really think that DeSantis will stop at this? Next, Florida will be suing Disney over the lost of tax revenue from the actions of DeSantis.

Sure, it would be a hard decision to leave Florida and costing a lot of money for Disney, but surely Disney could just pack up their tent and move away to a more friendly environment, a more receptive state. Like a state that could appreciate the tax and employment benefits of the Disney corporation. A state that might need a boost to its economy.

And... a state more centrally located, and more accessible to attract more Americans to attend. Surely some state would fit that bill? If Florida thinks they are too good for Disney and Mickey, then move away Disney. Dissemble Magic Mountain and move Magic Mountain to a more enchanted location, preferably a democrat controlled state.

If nothing else, Disney should at least seriously "threaten" such a move. For Disney to do the math and scope out alternative locations within other states. Like I said, sure it would be costly but Disney is far bigger than only a theme park. They have the movies and the merchandising, and world wide appeal.
Unscrew the bolts, disassemble the teacups, drain the Caribbean, and do what any self respecting corporate conglomerate would do, say F-U DeSantis and walk away.
WOULDN'T THAT BE LOVELY !!!!!!

HEADLINE:
Mickey leves Florida. DeSantis left holding the mouse droppings.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Being that DeSantis AND NOW Florida are hostel to the Disney Corporation, I really don't know why Disney reacts by simply pulling out of Florida all together. How can it be in Disney's best interest to remain? And what further DeSantis horrors are yet to come? You really think that DeSantis will stop at this? Next, Florida will be suing Disney over the lost of tax revenue from the actions of DeSantis.

Sure, it would be a hard decision to leave Florida and costing a lot of money for Disney, but surely Disney could just pack up their tent and move away to a more friendly environment, a more receptive state. Like a state that could appreciate the tax and employment benefits of the Disney corporation. A state that might need a boost to its economy.

And... a state more centrally located, and more accessible to attract more Americans to attend. Surely some state would fit that bill? If Florida thinks they are too good for Disney and Mickey, then move away Disney. Dissemble Magic Mountain and move Magic Mountain to a more enchanted location, preferably a democrat controlled state.

If nothing else, Disney should at least seriously "threaten" such a move. For Disney to do the math and scope out alternative locations within other states. Like I said, sure it would be costly but Disney is far bigger than only a theme park. They have the movies and the merchandising, and world wide appeal.
Unscrew the bolts, disassemble the teacups, drain the Caribbean, and do what any self respecting corporate conglomerate would do, say F-U DeSantis and walk away.
WOULDN'T THAT BE LOVELY !!!!!!

HEADLINE:
Mickey leves Florida. DeSantis left holding the mouse droppings.
Cheaper to remove the antagonist.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Bwahahaha move Disney World. Idiotic statement. And yes, easier to remove DeSantis than move the entire park. And notice all the moves he’s done lately. Set to take effect this year. The removal of Disney special status not until next year. So his lawyers have probably warned him he won’t win this battle in the end.

Lezunto

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2020
I really don't see any states that would prove a viable alternative to Florida for Disney.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons is consternating. Disney, nor any other corporation, should be granted governmental jurisdiction. Creating "rights" for corporations is also capitalist bullshit 101. So Desantis is carrying out a liberal agenda for horribly fascist reasons. Like grift was the word of the 2010s, Calvinball will be the word of this decade.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons is consternating. Disney, nor any other corporation, should be granted governmental jurisdiction. Creating "rights" for corporations is also capitalist bullshit 101. So Desantis is carrying out a liberal agenda for horribly fascist reasons. Like grift was the word of the 2010s, Calvinball will be the word of this decade.

Republicans fighting their corporate donor is a good show in my books.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'll be watching this one when it ends up in court. The state clearly isn't stopping Disney from saying whatever they want, but at the same time they are applying a financial hardship to the company for their political stand.
I really don't see any states that would prove a viable alternative to Florida for Disney.
North Dakota. They could buy the entire state.