Poll: How soon after Ukraine is invaded do righties start siding with Putin?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

How soon after Putin invades Ukraine do Righties start siding with Putin?

• 8-30 days

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
DAMN! I neglected to include a "days before" option.

Based on poll results @Amol S. @Ajay and @pcgeek11 severely underestimated the deplorable capabilities of the right wing base and their mouthpieces.
Your failure to anticipate the depravity of your fellow countrymen shows you are part of the problem. I feel I have the same failing. It all seems so impossible.

We are distracted, thinking about a war somewhere else. When what we should be doing is preparing for the civil war in our neighborhood.

Tucker just killed the idea of unifying to fight an external 3rd party dead.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Well, with top men at Fox News like Tucker Carlson basically implying "Why shouldn't we let Putin take the planet? Just asking the questions no one else will"...
https://www.msnbc.com/the-reidout/reidout-blog/tucker-carlson-russia-far-right-rcna12932

I understand Republicans, and Democrats, may have internal divisions on the issue of defending Europe. But there are plenty of opponents if one looks.... at Fox News, etc.
That reads like sarcasm to me. One thing I know about Tucker, he's sarcastic. Any other sources?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That reads like sarcasm to me. One thing I know about Tucker, he's sarcastic. Any other sources?
By sarcasm you saying he didn't mean it? They why are a bunch of deporables calling Congressional offices and demanding we side with Putin?

Still can't see the brainwashing or just refuse to admit it?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
By sarcasm you saying he didn't mean it? They why are a bunch of deporables calling Congressional offices and demanding we side with Putin?

Still can't see the brainwashing or just refuse to admit it?

Here's a counterpoint for you. Tucker has also said this:

The fact is, Ukraine is strategically irrelevant to the United States. No rational person could defend a war with Russia over Ukraine. Nobody thinks a war like that would make America safer or stronger or more prosperous.

Ukraine's borders are sacred. Our borders are racist. Shut up, Putin stooge.

Well, joining a conflict in Eastern Europe fix any of that? Come on. Of course not. It'll make it worse. If the neocons aren't restrained, and soon, Americans are going to be a lot poorer.

So, to answer your question again, he was being sarcastic and in no way supports Putin.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
These are two empty gestures. I don't think that hundreds of thousands of pounds of lethal weapons is an empty gesture or hand clapping. Maybe you should enlist and go over to give them a hand.

Tell me, and be specific, what would you consider as "supporting" the defense of Ukraine against Russia? Those two things do help, but ways to go from sending the Russian forces packing.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
That's a perfectly reasonable position, and one I agree with. The EU needs to step right up to the plate. That means a hell of a lot more than 500 troops and a 60 year old boat.

No it does not. We are the 500 pound Gorilla on the World stage and the 1,500 pound Gorilla in NATO (meaning Europe for our denser friends). Since we are, we will have to. Just like when you rail in support of the police and law enforcement during the protests, you now run away from our responsibilities to the treaties we signed with NATO? We are the police of the World, not saying I like it, but we are. This means we must counter the Russian aggression since this is the position we have. We must do this role effectively and when necessary. Period.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

The fact is, Ukraine is strategically irrelevant to the United States. No rational person could defend a war with Russia over Ukraine. Nobody thinks a war like that would make America safer or stronger or more prosperous.

Well, joining a conflict in Eastern Europe fix any of that? Come on. Of course not. It'll make it worse. If the neocons aren't restrained, and soon, Americans are going to be a lot poorer.

So, to answer your question again, he was being sarcastic and in no way supports Putin.
He doesn't support Putin? Here he is ADMITTING he's rooting for Russia. Then he got blowback and tried to claim he was joking.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

BTW - Ukraine is relevant for the same reason Hitler invading Poland in 1939 was relevant. We didn't learn that lesson early enough back then.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
He doesn't support Putin? Here he is ADMITTING he's rooting for Russia. Then he got blowback and tried to claim he was joking.

Sorry but Ill take comments that werent walked back (like I posted). As I said Tucker is known to be sarcastic.

• Wow
Reactions: cytg111

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
No it does not. We are the 500 pound Gorilla on the World stage and the 1,500 pound Gorilla in NATO (meaning Europe for our denser friends). Since we are, we will have to. Just like when you rail in support of the police and law enforcement during the protests, you now run away from our responsibilities to the treaties we signed with NATO? We are the police of the World, not saying I like it, but we are. This means we must counter the Russian aggression since this is the position we have. We must do this role effectively and when necessary. Period.
Then maybe it's time for the Europeans to bulk up.
The idea that the US has to shed the most blood and write the biggest check is insane. The US should be involved in equal measure to other European nations. I don't want our kids dying in droves while while the entire EU has a cocktail.
They went for years not contributing their share of the cost of NATO, now when the shit is going to hit the fan the US is expected to foot that bill as well.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Crack Cocaine man... Crack Cocaine.

No not crack, www.google.com. Im not particularly a fan of Tuckers, and have never sat though one of his shows. But I was curious if these allegations of Tucker being a Russia supporter were true, I wanted to find out. Taking everything into context, Tucker doesnt give two shits about Russia OR Ukraine, and his actual quotes (like what I posted above) show that. But I know he's hated by most on this board, so whatever.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
No not crack, www.google.com. Im not particularly a fan of Tuckers, and have never sat though one of his shows. But I was curious if these allegations of Tucker being a Russia supporter were true, I wanted to find out. Taking everything into context, Tucker doesnt give two shits about Russia OR Ukraine, and his actual quotes (like what I posted above) show that. But I know he's hated by most on this board, so whatever.

Tuckers biggest fanbase is on the outer most right fringes, agreed?

There is plenty of these stories

Tuckers walk back of that statement was a quarter better than Trumps walk back of Helsinki... would wouldnt blrrrrr....

Come on man. Its like right in front of you.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Then maybe it's time for the Europeans to bulk up.
The idea that the US has to shed the most blood and write the biggest check is insane. The US should be involved in equal measure to other European nations. I don't want our kids dying in droves while while the entire EU has a cocktail.
They went for years not contributing their share of the cost of NATO, now when the shit is going to hit the fan the US is expected to foot that bill as well.
Does being petty make you feel good?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Does being petty make you feel good?
How many dead soldiers moves us out of petty and into serious?
How many trillions of dollars is necessary before we're talking about "real money"?
How many of your kids are you willing to sacrifice?

I have an issue with the US being the worlds police force. I've seen the US mocked for spending money on the military instead of healthcare and collage. The tune changes dramatically when it's time for the killing to start, and changes back when it's finished.

Reactions: pcgeek11

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
How many trillions of dollars is necessary before we're talking about "real money"?

I have an issue with the US being the worlds police force. I've seen the US mocked for spending money on the military instead of healthcare and collage. The tune changes dramatically when it's time for the killing to start, and changes back when it's finished.
We do the right thing because it's the right thing to do, not because it will benefit us.

Reactions: ivwshane

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Allowing dictators to annex other countries does the world no good. I'm shocked you can't see that. Being the only country to benefit from the help of other nations under Article 5 of the NATO treaty I don't have a problem with the US helping Ukraine. I still don't think we should take the lead.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
We do the right thing because it's the right thing to do, not because it will benefit us.
Doing the right thing is easy when there isn't any personal cost. I'd also question why the Europeans aren't expected to do the right thing?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Allowing dictators to annex other countries does the world no good. I'm shocked you can't see that. Being the only country to benefit from the help of other nations under Article 5 of the NATO treaty I don't have a problem with the US helping Ukraine. I still don't think we should take the lead.
I never said we shouldn't help. As I already said, the US should help. That doesn't mean leading the charge. Every European country should be right there in equal measure.