Poll: How many states would vote to keep Roe legal if vote is statewide referendum

How many states would keep Roe legal?

• Total voters

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A story on something I have suspected all during the Roe V Wade debate. If the citizens in each state had a vote almost all would want Roe to be legal in their state. Republicans have so gerrymandered their districts is has allowed them to subvert the will of their own people.

How many states would vote to make Roe legal in their state? One of the choices will not be 0 because apres Kansas

Most Americans want chance to support abortion rights on state ballot, USA TODAY/Ipsos poll finds (msn.com)

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
As the question is phrased neither poll-choice makes any sense. (to be fair I only skimmed the linked article)

Are you only including states that would need an amendment to their state constitution or something?
Right now just asking, "what is the will of the people?"

Reactions: Captante

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I think it's easier to say which states *wouldn't*.

And even then I'm not sure how that would go in a state wide vote not affiliated with a party or candidate.

The actual desire to banish women's right to choice is very low.

Can't gerrymander a state wide referendum.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
In the high 40s easily. If this was the only thing on the ballot you'd get record turnouts and publicity and it'd be a crushing defeat for the anti abortion movement. The problem is simply the people with the greatest to lose are the most distracted and the least likely to vote. But if it's just one well publicized issue... That's a different story

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
11-25 give or take is actually realistic. One has to think about the number of democrat senators / 2. Then minus these anti-abortion red state with dem senateors, and add a few republican states that are pro-abortion, one winds up back in the 11-25 range.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
11-25 give or take is actually realistic. One has to think about the number of democrat senators / 2. Then minus these anti-abortion red state with dem senators, and add a few republican states that are pro-abortion, one winds up back in the 11-25 range.
Remember the assumption east state has a referendum vote. Senators and Congressman don't matter. Forget logistics for a moment, asking for your speculation on the will of the people in each state.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
After Kansas I can only think of 2 states where I think a statewide vote would ban abortion (this is of course assuming a fair vote and not one where Republicans pull their normal shenanigans). That's Utah, because of it being just shy of a theocracy, and Florida, because they elected an outright fascist and it's full of old people who can't get pregnant and care about only themselves.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Utah, TN, AL and Oklahoma were the three that really had me thinking. FL would pretty easily vote in favor of women's choice. It just barely leans Republican as it is.

Reactions: hal2kilo

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Utah, TN, AL and Oklahoma were the three that really had me thinking. FL would pretty easily vote in favor of women's choice. It just barely leans Republican as it is.
AL, MS, WV and UT would top my list.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Legislators in red states pretty much know if their people want to keep Roe.

They would do anything to keep it off the ballot. I think there are some states that don't do referenda.