Poll: How many divorcees do we have here?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Susan

Oct 9, 1999
Yes, divorced...but I'm enjoying every minute of it. :)

It was rough in the beginning, but as time went on it became more emotionally manageable. Even the kids are flourishing, which I am the most thankful for.

jaygee

Oct 9, 1999
Separated 16 months, Jersey requires 18 months for no fault. Work on it around Thanksgiving. No kids. 11 good years, one very bad. It's been hell, and hell's hair is red.

Thunderbooty

Banned
Sep 15, 2000

<< It's been hell, and hell's hair is red >>

I think your going to make some people verrrry unhappy with that statement ;)

Psychoholic

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< It sucked only seeing my dad every other weekend. (joint custody my @ss) >>

I had to point out what Johnlee said, I've been going through utter hell with my ex about our son. I've wondered many times exactly what does joint custody mean?? I know the crap they tell you it means legally but all it really is good for is to pull the blanket over someone's head and make them feel as if they have walked away with something. My ex even puts down that she has custody and I have visitation on such things as school forms. It makes it very difficult because it puts me on the defensive from the start when I have to deal with the school and get records or have something changed.

The true definition of &quot;joint custody&quot; should split parental rights a whole lot more equal than they do.

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
Fathom
<<First trip to the grocery store since we separated last weekend. OUCH That really hurts when you need....well, everything.>>

hehehe
that's really funny, cuz last week I went to the warehouse store and spent $96 on crap like spices, and oil, and all the stuff that you really can't just eat by itself. Except for the 5lb bag of animal crackers. For the daughter, of course.;)

Fathom4

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2000
DAMN! ANIMAL CRACKERS!

Thanks for the reminder SFA that's one thing the kids like to snack on that's not too bad.

Yeah, this morning I had to go get the things I couldn't fit in the cart last night. Like a garbage bin for the kitchen, a new lampshade for an old lamp etc, and on and on. Another $86.00 thank you.

Crysla

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
God....do not let me near Sam's. I always overspend there. Plus...for the most part, it's a rip-off. It's their non-food merchandise that you can actually get good deals on...but I still spend, spend, spend....dangit. :)

Princess;)

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
they made me an Elite Member at Sam's Club;)

I'm kinda having fun on this spending spree.
I went and bought some cool furniture on Friday. Finally have a leather love seat. wooohooooie
Gotta decide on a dining room table, now.

Fathom4

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2000
Fortunately, we had about two of everything where stereos, vcr's, tv's dishes, kithen utensils and dining room sets were concerned, I do need to get a sofa though.

Fathom4

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2000
My Mom and Grandmother showed up to clean while I was moving and brought a bunch of canned goods and utensils and stuff to get me started. Thank God for family.

I really didn't want to see my Mother and 85 year-old Grandmother cleaning but DAMN they're stubborn. I guess I know where I get it from.

My Grandmother is really an inspiration. 85 years-old and she still cooks meals for shut-ins, baby sits at church and does whatever she can to help out anyone else. I doubt I could keep up with her for a day! I hope I got those genes. Especially since she didn't start to turn gray until she was 80.

Crysla

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
Leather love seat huh, Fishy. I think that was more information than I needed to know because I think I know what kind of love will be going on there, for now anyway.:Q

Princess;)

Do y'all know Sam's Club employees get no discount? My cousin Nicole used to work there...and I was shocked.

SirFshAlot

Elite Member
Apr 11, 2000
does anyone dare take a new poll on that subject amongst divorcees, Crysla?

don't do it in this thread, though, or it will get shut down

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Crysla

Thanks, I now need to scoop the portion of my brain containing that mental image out with a spoon. :Q

Xzaver

Golden Member
Dec 1, 1999
To the rest of you shutins who say I'm looooozing it, my opinion is the truth.

Think of what you would be putting your future offspring threw , If you don't love the person , &quot;Both of you&quot; should have never gotten married at all!

Edit: I think I'm going to take a little trip up gods left nostril maybe he can let me in on the secret to a lasting marridge , for now I'm just having to much damn fun!

Crysla

Banned
Jan 26, 2000
Damn...my secret is out Fathom4. Now everyone will know I am a Bad Little Princess.:D

Fishy...I think Shux just did one of those polls, just not amongst divorcees...and yeah, after 2 days it finally got shutdown. Someone was on the slow-ball.:)

Sorry Boberfett....I could not resist.:cool:

Princess;)

Athanasius

Nov 16, 1999
My parents were divorced when I was fifteen. That sucked. Nevertheless, from what I can gather of their situation, it seems like the divorce was inevitable.

Having said that, I think that until our culture accepts a radically different definition of romantic/sexual/marriage type of love, divorces will continue to increase. Since we really know very little about genuine love, we begin what are intended to be lifelong commitments from a severely warped foundation. Buildings built on poor foundations collapse in the storms of life. Then, our &quot;Yes&quot; becomes &quot;No.&quot;

I don't think the post WW2 generations have a high ability to commit. This includes me. While our relationships appear passionate, they are often founded more on &quot;falling in love&quot; than genuine love. When I &quot;fall in love,&quot; I feel more alive. When the object is near me, my world is more vibrant. It seems self-evident that I am destined for the object of my passion. But that isn't loving the person; that is loving how that person makes me feel. When those feelings diminish (as feelings tend to do), I have a correspondingly diminishing sense of commitment to the object.

In this sense, I run from one thing to another in life: jobs, cars, hobbies, relationships. When I tire of the old house, the old car, the old flame, I feel &quot;life calling me&quot; to move on. This is not love. Love is commitment. Personally, the ideal of marriage is worthy of intense commitment even apart from the person I am married to. Without an ideal, a standard, a guidng principle, commitment will wane.

Having said this, I am not pointing fingers at any divorced person. I am the product of a divorced home, and I recognize that reality differs significantly from the ideal.

But I believe that, if both parties recognize the intrinsic value of the ideal of marriage, then the home being built can stand and the children can prosper, even if the parents have &quot;fallen out of love.&quot;
Love isn't merely emotional. It must rise above and become volitional and chosen. Until I can choose to commit and to love, I cannot be free to practice love. I will simply be a prisoner of my own feelings, environment, personal issues, grudges, or whatever.

I have been graced with a wonderful wife and ten years of marriage. Preceding generations of my family, and most of my friends I grew up with, have high levels of divorce. That cycle will stop with me because I am choosing to learn how to love my wife. It is the most important lesson in life, and I am convinced that my wife is making the same choice. It does take two.