Poll: Do you consider yourself "out of shape"?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Fausto
Originally posted by: Descartes
Originally posted by: DaShen
Originally posted by: Descartes
Originally posted by: DaShen
Originally posted by: FelixDeKat
Denile is not a river in Brazil folks!

WTH?

Denial and it would be tied to Egypt right? (Play on word for the Nile River)

Are you just being facetious?

Incorrect analysis of a joke ftl.

I guess he was being sarcastic, right?

It was part of the joke...

Will you two just get a damn room already? :p

But it is so fun in public. ;) :p

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Out of shape, yes (trying to get a regular exercise schedule going, erratic schedule = not much success :(). Fat, no (I'm 165 lbs and thin), can run a mile in about 8 min or so.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Because I'm fat, I'm fat, come on
(Fat, fat, really really fat)
You know I'm fat, I'm fat, you know it
You know I'm fat, I'm fat, you know it, you know
Woo woo woo, when I sit around the house
I really sit around the house
You know I'm fat, I'm fat, come on
You know I'm fat, I'm fat, you know it, you know it
You know, you know, you know, come on
And you know all by myself I'm a crowd
Lemme tell you once again
You know I'm huge, I'm fat, you know it
You know I'm fat, you know, hoo
You know I'm fat, I'm fat, you know it, you know
And the whole world knows I'm fat and I'm proud
Just tell me once again who's fat

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
5'7" at 153 lbs. I am not fat, but I am not in shape. Working on burning fat and building muscle now whenver I have the time. I can still run 2-3 miles without too much trouble. I used to be around 140lbs in college (a few years ago).

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Something to think about, when people are asked what feature about their physical bodies they would change, if they could change anything; Losing weight was the number 1 choice, across both genders and most age groups. Losing weight had an even greater majority in the results from <25 females. Lotta pressure to look like Maxim cover girls, I suppose.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I am out of shape.
280 pounds and 6'2".
I like to eat (I eat a LOT, probably about 4000 calories per day.)
I don't work out very often.

I am in "good enough" shape to run up 7 or 8 flights of stairs, but any more, and then I've got to slow down.
I've considered joining a gym and swimming 2 or 3 KM per day to shape up, but I am still procrastinating.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
I'm very out of shape but in no way fat - I need to gain muscle and my cardio fitness is terrible.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
One year ago, I was 190 lbs (5'8''). Now I'm 167 lbs (evening weight. morning weight of about 165-166).

I've been doing light jogs about 2 times a week, and daily walks of about 2-3 miles. My knees can't seem to handle the jogs, so walking will have to do. Some of you will remember my thread about a month ago about this, hehe. My goal is 160 lbs, which was my weight when I was actually very fit.

I look and feel a lot better, more confident, no longer snore in sleep, and overall, life is just better. 10 more lbs c'mon dan you can do it!

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Wapp
Out of shape does not equal fat. But yeah, I'm out of shape.

Indeed. I'm quite reasonably fit but think I'm plumper than I'd like to be (every time I see my bike riding buddies up the road on a climb heh).

Rogueverve

Aug 21, 2006
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Something to think about, when people are asked what feature about their physical bodies they would change, if they could change anything; Losing weight was the number 1 choice, across both genders and most age groups. Losing weight had an even greater majority in the results from <25 females. Lotta pressure to look like Maxim cover girls, I suppose.

The funny thing is that for most of those girls (and a lot of guys too actually) they do not need to lose any weight. Just convert some of it to muscle, but they go to the gym and run for 40 minutes then go home to eat some yogurt and never pickup a weight. Its the opposite for men ironically (which is just as bad). For whatever reason every guy is convinced that strength = size so they cut out all cardio and just lift huge ignoring that doing so doesn't equal functional strength. Benching 225 10 times does not mean you can pump out 75 push ups no problem.

I voted no.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Hell no. I'm in pretty f0cking good shape. I train 10x a week now days. Mon to Fri lunchtimes I fit in some strength work for Olympic lifting. Mon, Wed and Sat I Olympic lift. Tue and Thurs I hurdle at an athletics track. I should be in pretty amazing shape after the winter season of hurdling and Olifting. Roll on the next 3-5yrs :)

Originally posted by: zebano
Fat != out of shape...

I am fat, but being in shape means having muscle, being able to handle physical exertion (i.e. play a friendly game of football, swim 100m etc). I know lots of thin guys who can't run 1 mile.

Indeed.

My coach also says if you can pinch and inch thats a bit too much fat. I would tend to agree or maybe move it to 1.25inches of fat is too much to pinch. A guy training really shouldn't have 1.25inches of fat to pinch unless he is bulking and not at his competition weight.

Koing