Poll: Do the survivors and the families of the Tulsa Race Massacre deserve reparations?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Should the survivors and their families be paid reparations from the state of Oklahoma?

• Yes

Votes: 44 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.2%

• Total voters

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
In light of this thread how does the United States have ANY moral standing criticizing Hamas for terrorism when it will not reconcile its past terrorism and even today refuses to codify into law domestic terrorism?
So just because someone in the past performed horrible acts, that excuses those who commit them today? OK, whatever you say.

Reactions: Lezunto

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What, because we are human you would declare that we cannot make judgements and choose sides?
There are no innocent groups of people. We all have a past. But there is peace, and there are those who break the peace.

I lay blame on the aggressors.
For context I consider their actions. Such as massacring everyone they come across.
Should those be my actions?
Should those be the actions of people I am subject to?

No. For them choosing escalation, for their acts of evil, "criticism" is the weakest word that should be used when speaking of Hamas and terrorism.
I have no problem with stating Hamas are terrorists and have committed despicable acts. However, if I were them, I would point out the fact this country allows terrorism within their own borders and does nothing to stamp these groups out.

Pittsburgh, PA
El Paso TX
Charlestown SC
Charlottesville VA
Buffalo NY
Jacksonville, FL

We don't make whole people victimized by state sponsored terrorism and does nothing about the #1 domestic terrorist threat in this country.

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So just because someone in the past performed horrible acts, that excuses those who commit them today? OK, whatever you say.
No, but this country doesn't take responsibility for state sponsored acts of terrorism and refuses to make survivors whole. Tulsa victims just had their case thrown out of court. How about compensating them and their immediate survivors.

Reactions: Lezunto and pmv
Mar 11, 2004
In light of this thread how does the United States have ANY moral standing criticizing Hamas for terrorism when it will not reconcile its past terrorism and even today refuses to codify into law domestic terrorism?

You would do yourself a lot of favors if you'd stop posting shit like this. There was zero reason to bring in that issue, let alone taking into account a variety of factors that makes it even less sensible to compare the two, like how what Israel has done to Palestine is more similar to what the Tulsa Race Massacre was (aka, you seem to think you're highlighting some hypocrisy when you're not, you're missing the consistency its showing).

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
We don't make whole people victimized by state sponsored terrorism and does nothing about the #1 domestic terrorist threat in this country.
What is the number one domestic terrorist group in the US?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What is the number one domestic terrorist group in the US?
I'll let you post that. Hint all of our intel agencies agree.
You would do yourself a lot of favors if you'd stop posting shit like this. There was zero reason to bring in that issue, let alone taking into account a variety of factors that makes it even less sensible to compare the two, like how what Israel has done to Palestine is more similar to what the Tulsa Race Massacre was (aka, you seem to think you're highlighting some hypocrisy when you're not, you're missing the consistency its showing).
I'm not justifying the actions of Hamas by bringing this up. I'm saying both those attacks are acts of terrorism. They are virtually the same. If this country were serious about its stance on terrorism, the survivors would have been compensated a long time ago. Also, if this country were serious about terrorism we would have codified laws on domestic terrorism.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
There are no innocent groups of people.
Idk, the Inuit seem like pretty okay folk, unless you're a seal or a whale. Sentinelese too, just keep off their shit. Not too familiar with the Aussie aboriginals but I'm guessing they always had their hands too full with their environment to be too much of a bastard to each other.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Idk, the Inuit seem like pretty okay folk, unless you're a seal or a whale. Sentinelese too, just keep off their shit. Not too familiar with the Aussie aboriginals but I'm guessing they always had their hands too full with their environment to be too much of a bastard to each other.
I'm reading a book right now named The Dawn of Everything, a slow read, but very interesting on the evolution of human culture/society. It touches on a lot of interesting information for many different native populations.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Stokely

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2017
Reparations? Hell, people will be lucky to even know it happened in 30 years. I'm sure we have plenty of deniers now, just like the Holocaust denying assholes. I'm sure Desantis and his ilk are working to show the "good side" of a race massacre in school books, if they can't manage to wipe it out (not that I remember it being in our history books in the first place, frankly.)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I'm reading a book right now named The Dawn of Everything, a slow read, but very interesting on the evolution of human culture/society. It touches on a lot of interesting information for many different native populations.
Care to share some of the insights?

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Reparations? Hell, people will be lucky to even know it happened in 30 years. I'm sure we have plenty of deniers now, just like the Holocaust denying assholes. I'm sure Desantis and his ilk are working to show the "good side" of a race massacre in school books, if they can't manage to wipe it out (not that I remember it being in our history books in the first place, frankly.)
I hate that this is a possibility

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Care to share some of the insights?
A big point was that the European ideas of freedom and equality almost definitely actually came from Native Americans and to a lesser extent China.

Also a lot of discussion about how ancient people are thought of as more animals that things just happen to. But they give lots of examples of where one tribe completely rejected something like slavery or agriculture that their neighbors did. They talk about how culture is more about a rejection of things rather than an embracing of things, which requires actively deciding to reject something like nobility or types of cooking, etc.

I really like that they really try to specifically breakdown the different tribes rather than widely group and merge all ancient people.

I've been listening to it while running, but I'd like to actually read it at some point to retain more of the details.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It kills me. There's a show on TV on a very regular basis that believes ancient people were ignorant and anything advanced was due to alien intervention. It boggles the mind. Take your average person on the street and throw them into their environment and they might last 2 weeks.