POLL: Constittional Amendment to outlaw Gay Marriages?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Rob9874
Originally posted by: Fausto1
Don't read into this, because I'm not implying anything. I was just wondering if siblings can legally marry? Has the government taken a stand on incest?
Depends on what state you live in.

No closer that first cousins, at any rate.

How can the government tell you that you can't marry your cousin, or even your sister? If they are two consenting adults, how can the government step in?
I thought you weren't implying anything? ;)

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: FrankyJunior
Do you think the Constitution of the United States should be modified to Outlaw Homosexual Marriages?

Remember, Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean it should be illegal.......

Feel free to leave comments but Don't start a Flame War.

My thoughts are, What right does the Government have to say who can marry who? What if they decided to outlaw inter-racial marriages or some other type of marriage just because they disagree with it? It's obvious that there are many homosexual people in the country and that they can fall in love just like any other couple. So why should they not be allowed to get married?

I know some Gay couples who are Much better People that many Straight couples I know.

What's next for the gov't to step in if they can delve into your personal choices this way?

the fact that a poll even has to be posted is an affront to what the constitution stands for. AMAZING. How can ANYONE give even the SMALLEST bit of merit to this idea? AMEND the CONSTITUTION?? Does ANYONE have ANY idea how significant it is to amend the constitution?? and to do it over a COMPLETE NON ISSUE that the GOVERNMENT SHOULD HAVE NO SAY IN is LUDICROUS.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
They should still have those rights, but it will not be a marriage.

If you are in favor of the amendment, then you are pretty much in favor of altering the very foundation of the nation over a semantic issue.

I can't decide if that's worse than doing it simply because you are intolerant.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Don't read into this, because I'm not implying anything. I was just wondering if siblings can legally marry? Has the government taken a stand on incest?

How can the government tell you that you can't marry your cousin, or even your sister? If they are two consenting adults, how can the government step in?

Who said I was? The government's ruling on homosexual marriages just made me wonder if there were other consentual marriages that the government doesn't allow. Maybe I am asking why we're so concerned about homosexual marriages, and not incestual, or polygamy. Let's be consistent.

I think the homosexual community and the media have made it very chic to stand up for gay rights. Yet, you aren't granted the same respect if you subscribe to a certain religious faith. I think people are very hypocritical with what they support and what they bash.

Jul 1, 2000
The Constitution should never be amended to address an issue which is best addressed by the states themselves. Historically, qualifications for marriage are determined by the state which confers the license.

An amendment who be an absolute travesty to state's rights - and civil liberties in general.

I would allow gay marriage. To create another name for it, like a "civil union," is semantic stupidity. You should be able to marry anyone you like, regardless of sexual orientation - with a few notable exceptions like children and immediate family members, because of the relevant policy considerations.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

Who said I was? The government's ruling on homosexual marriages just made me wonder if there were other consentual marriages that the government doesn't allow. Maybe I am asking why we're so concerned about homosexual marriages, and not incestual, or polygamy. Let's be consistent.

I think the homosexual community and the media have made it very chic to stand up for gay rights. Yet, you aren't granted the same respect if you subscribe to a certain religious faith. I think people are very hypocritical with what they support and what they bash.
Wow. That's some impressive parroting. That was almost verbatim Santorum and then Scalia.

Jul 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
If you are in favor of the amendment, then you are pretty much in favor of altering the very foundation of the nation over a semantic issue. I can't decide if that's worse than doing it simply because you are intolerant.

I think you have hit the heart of it.

A constitutional amendment is THE last thing that should be contemplated - especially an amendment that would DENY a right to a class of people. Rights should be expanded - not abridged.

I am frightened that many of you can not see why this is such a profoundly bad idea.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
you know i always thought Marriage was the Union between 2 people that loved each other andwanted to spend the rest of there lives with each other.

I have more problems with people who feel that being married is only a 2 year deal. i would rather have 2 guys/girls get married and live together for life then a man and women that stay together for a year and get a divorce.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999

Wow. That's some impressive parroting. That was almost verbatim Santorum and then Scalia.

Good guess, huh? Because I never read their statements.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: DevilsAdvocate
Originally posted by: Jzero
If you are in favor of the amendment, then you are pretty much in favor of altering the very foundation of the nation over a semantic issue. I can't decide if that's worse than doing it simply because you are intolerant.

I think you have hit the heart of it.

A constitutional amendment is THE last thing that should be contemplated - especially an amendment that would DENY a right to a class of people. Rights should be expanded - not abridged.

I am frightened that many of you can not see why this is such a profoundly bad idea.

Hence my quoting of Amendment X when I first posted to this thread :D

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: usualuse
I would rather not have a lesbian g/f

rolleye.gif
Have you actually said anything intelligent about this issue yet? If you thought about the definition of lesbian for a minute, you're not going to be dating a lesbian in the first place, Captain Clueless. Besides, that has nothing to do with gay marriage being outlawed in the Constitution.

Do you come from Planet Ignorance or what?

In any case, I voted against a constitutional amendment. The government has no business telling consenting adults who they can and can't marry.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
gigapet--->I don't give a fu*k,but it's a wide social problem.There's this fear,called homophobia,and i don't want to be a victim:)

Honey, you're ALREADY a victim of homophobia. Your own. You don't "give a fu*k"??? Bullshit. Your stance on the issue was clear from your first post. "So far i'm in the maijority I hate queer***s"

What are you? Twelve years old?

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

Good guess, huh? Because I never read their statements.
Do a news search. Santorum predicted that overturning sodomy laws would lead to the downfall of western society and we'd all be humping goats in the street by the end of the year. Scalia ranted about "pandering to the gay agenda" in the dissent of the SC ruling.

Anyway; gay marriage (not sex....these are separate issues remember), polygamy, and within-family marriages are separate issues and must be considered as such. You can't just lump them together when it's convenient because you're opposed to gay marriage.

As for the "chic" thing; that's just a load of crap. Everyone yells and screams that gays are immoral partially because some of them are very promiscuous and then yell and scream even louder when they want to legally bind themselves in a commited relationship. Make up your mind. And give me a break with the religious thing.....you sound like all the people blathering about how oppressed the white man is today. The only time religious people have the fire hose turned on them is when they do things like mounting extrememly vocal opposition to things that aren't any of their business based on the rules and regs of a God that may or may not exist. You read your bible, I'll marry my boyfriend, everyone lives happily ever after.

How does it affect ME if a man marries a man or a woman marries a woman? It DOESN'T. For that reason, I see no problem with leaving the Constitution the way it is.

usualuse

Jul 28, 2003
BigDan---->what's wrong with my first post?
Homophobic i can be but only from time to time:)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Yet you have the ability to be an asshole 100% of the time.
rolleye.gif

F*ck off troll.

Encryptic

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003

rolleye.gif
What's wrong with your first post? It proves that you're a homophobic moron with nothing useful to contribute to this discussion, besides one-line posts clearly proclaiming your hatred of gays. Only homophobic from time to time? What is that supposed to mean? Your attitude changes with the seasons or the phase of the moon?

Do yourself and this forum a favor by growing up before you post again.

If that doesn't drive the point home, maybe this will.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Fausto--->Faust was an asshole he gave it all away.....
I going to have a really good laugh once your sorry ass is banned, so keep on posting.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

It's not your first post that puzzles me so much as your other one. Don't you feel strange being fearful of people like yourself? You admit to homophobia, and yet you are afraid of others who are homophobic. I find that to be unsettling.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
It is simply MIND boggling that 25 PEOPLE have seen fit to vote Change the constitution.

I am simply going to attribute it to youth and inexperience or just plain ignorance of the issue at hand.

talk about using a nuke to kill a fly.

NO MATTER HOW MUCH you hate gays, no matter HOW MUCH you don't want gays to get married, USING THE CONSTITUTION IS JUST PLAIN STUPID.

I have yet to see any support for it at ALL except for idiots voting for it.

THERE IS NO GOOD REASON TO MAKE IT A CONSTITUTIONAL ISSUE.

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
They don't necessarily need to be called a "marriage," but if they want to form a civil union in a commitment cerimony of some kind, then they should have the exact same rights, benefits, and protections as married hetrosexual couples.