***Poll*** Cellphone belt clip, ghey or not?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

atom

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Maybe it's because I owned a cell phone for so long, but I don't consider it that odd. I used a belt clip with my old Nokia 5000 series phone, it was for convenience. My t-shirt covered it so nobody could see it. A phone that big is a bitch to have rattling around in your pants pocket.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Shanti
Originally posted by: spidey07
So does every other "professional" I have met

hmmm, my experience is only the very young and ghey professionals wear a clip. Once you get older you just don't see people wearing them because, well, it looks stupid and says "look at me! I have a cell phone!"

No, my whole point is that mature people aren't making any statement by wearing a belt clip. As you get older, you become less concerned with stupid shallow things like whether a belt-clip looks "ghey". That is definitely a high school attitude. Those who call people dorks for wearing a cell phone belt-clip are either still in highschool or still have the maturity of a high-school kid. And if you're still in high school, remember, be nice to the geeks, someday you'll be working for them.

It's all about functionality and for many people, having a belt-clip is much more functional than sticking the phone in your pocket.

Bingo

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Amused

hmmm, my experience is only the very young and ghey professionals wear a clip. Once you get older you just don't see people wearing them because, well, it looks stupid and says "look at me! I have a cell phone!"

No, my whole point is that mature people aren't making any statement by wearing a belt clip. As you get older, you become less concerned with stupid shallow things like whether a belt-clip looks "ghey". That is definitely a high school attitude. Those who call people dorks for wearing a cell phone belt-clip are either still in highschool or still have the maturity of a high-school kid. And if you're still in high school, remember, be nice to the geeks, someday you'll be working for them.

It's all about functionality and for many people, having a belt-clip is much more functional than sticking the phone in your pocket.

Bingo

Exactly. Who the hell wants to walk around with a cell phone in their pants pocket, or even worse, your front shirt pocket. To me, that's retarded. Let someone come up to me and tell me my belt clip looks 'ghey', they'll be looking up at me from the sidewalk with a broken jaw.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Up until recently, I had the clip on my cell phone case attached the inside of my pocket, so it wasn't inside, but it wasn't outside either... sort of in between.

Anyway, I recently got one of those super slim .8cm batteries for my phone and I now carry it in my front pocket. It doesn't make a noticeable bulge, so it's ok.

Anyway, not ghey!

stormbv

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2000
I keep mine in my pocket...I don't want my cell getting in the way in case I have to pull out the gun I keep in the waistline of my pants.

yellowperil

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2000
I agree with whoever equated it with the pocket protector. It's more functional to have it on the waist but sometimes you have to sacrifice convenience to avoid looking like a nerd.

Crappopotamus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Soybomb
What am I supposed to do, clip it to an ear, scrotum or other danging flesh?

a lot of bags have little pockets for a cell phone, which is really convenient.
Any guy who carries a "bag" can't call another guy gay for using a belt clip. Whats next, a fanny pack?

by bag i mean schoolbag. backpack.

pfft. oh your more "mature". gah youre just bitter youre old, geeky and uncool. btw i am a hs "geek" i suppose. being mature or being a geek doesnt mean you have to be ghey looking.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Crappopotamus

Any guy who carries a "bag" can't call another guy gay for using a belt clip. Whats next, a fanny pack?

by bag i mean schoolbag. backpack.

pfft. oh your more "mature". gah youre just bitter youre old, geeky and uncool. btw i am a hs "geek" i suppose. being mature or being a geek doesnt mean you have to be ghey looking.

rolleye.gif

You've just proven his point.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: hdeck
homo

LOL, isn't it gay men who are the most fashion conscience???

If you think wearing a cell phone is a fashion no-no, who's the homo?

KeyserSoze

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2000
Nope. I think it serves a purpose. I used to wear one, when I had a lot of stuff in my pockets to carry around. I don't see anything wrong with it.

KeyserSoze

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: hdeck
homo

LOL, isn't it gay men who are the most fashion conscience???

If you think wearing a cell phone is a fashion no-no, who's the homo?

LOL, pwn3d.

BTW, I agree with you and the others that functionality is > *. You get to a point in life when you stop caring about little things like that... i'm not saying i'm a slob who doesn't care about his clothes, etc, but regarding something as simple as a belt clip for a cell phone...
rolleye.gif
Who cares?

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Jzero
Plus, I don't want to have to stand up in the middle of a meeting with my managers to pull a phone out of my pocket.

What kind of pants do you wear that you can't get your phone out of your pocket without standing up?
Better still, what kind of "professional" would answer a cellphone in the middle of a meeting with his managers?

Well, I keep mine in my pocket. I don't want to show my phone off. I don't want someone to try and grab it. I don't want it to catch on things.

Often I wear jeans. And not the big baggy "cool" ones.

And the kind of "professional" that would answer a cellphone in the middle of a meeting with his managers is the one who may be answering a call from the app support team because they can't fix a system that has just crashed and is costing the plant approx. $10,000 per hour of downtime due to lost production.
I do put it on silent though.

Plus, having it on the belt clip means I can quickly glance down, see who is calling, and decide whether or not it is important without having to pull it out of my pocket.

But the point is that people should put their phones wherever they want based on what is most comfortable and functional to them. Not because some high school kid thinks it's "ghey".

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Crappopotamus

No, I'm not particularly cool. But I don't care. I have embraced by geekiness. And I'm making 4 times as much money as some of the "cool" people I went to HS with who are working at Pizza places and partying with their "cool" friends.

And no, I'm not bitter. In fact, I'm pretty damn happy with life right now. Got my CS degree 2 years ago. I've got a great job. A great wife. Three great kids. Just bought my first house. Life is damn good right now.

And like it or not, you will feel differently about many things when you are older. I'm 31 and I'm just now starting to get over that teenage feeling that my parents, and adults in general are all idiots who don't know any more than I do.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001

Oh sh!t, fanny packs went out? :Q

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Sorry, its still gay and reaks of no class.

Yep, gay. Yep, nerdy. Yep that's the way it is.

The pocket protector analogy works perfectly and that is how you are viewed if you have a clip on.

best practice dicates you excuse yourself from the meeting and taking the call or return it. NOT answering the phone. I have kicked people out of my meetings for answering the phone.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
depends...

i use one while i'm at work... just because its too much work to dig into my pockets with dirty hands or gloves on. but any other time besides work... i wouldn't be caught dead with one :p

Led Zeppelin

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2002
Sorry, its still gay and reaks of no class.

Yep, gay. Yep, nerdy. Yep that's the way it is.

The pocket protector analogy works perfectly and that is how you are viewed if you have a clip on.

best practice dicates you excuse yourself from the meeting and taking the call or return it. NOT answering the phone. I have kicked people out of my meetings for answering the phone.

The janitorial staff at McDonalds has meetings?

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: oLLie

Oh sh!t, fanny packs went out? :Q

I'm going to Hong Kong in August and everyone keeps saying I have to get a fanny pack to put all my stuff in, but there is no way in hell I'm going to wear a fanny pack! To all of you travelers, what do you use to carry stuff in during the day besides a fanny pack. I'm thinking about picking up one of those vest with all of the pockets in it and one of those army looking hats.