***Poll*** Cellphone belt clip, ghey or not?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
If you are a contractor, a heart surgeon or a gynecologist, yes, you look very cool with a belt clip...

Otherwise you look like a fool

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
This is a very interesting thread.

Where I live, no one cares how you carry your cell phone.

Aug 16, 2001
I don't really care either but when I used to have one it never felt good with a belt clip for some reason. Sure it's practical.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Shanti
Although I usually have the clip attached to my front pocket because I don't usually wear a belt and it's more comfortable than having it on my waistband or in my pocket.

That's got to be really styling :) I hope you wear the phone inside the pocket and not on the outside as that would make the shirt look ridiculous.

I am in sales so my phone is always with me in my pocket, whether I am in jeans or slacks it's pretty easy to get out even with my seat belt on and driving my small coupe, but then again many claim that they have to have a pocket protector and garters for their socks...so who knows.

;)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: LedZeppelin
Exactly. Who the hell wants to walk around with a cell phone in their pants pocket, or even worse, your front shirt pocket. To me, that's retarded. Let someone come up to me and tell me my belt clip looks 'ghey', they'll be looking up at me from the sidewalk with a broken jaw.

If women were braver who'd have a pile around you then. :)

Most celebrities carry cell phones, however you don't see them on their waist...if it was 'cool' they'd be doing it.

Some things that guys think are cool and women laugh/yawn at (a woman here is one you'd find in a club or bar, not at church sunday morning or the local bowling alley, sure it's superficial, but that's they way many sexy women are):

1) Short sleeved shirts with a tie.
2) carrying anything in a front pocket other than sunglasses and/or a pen. Esp. a PDA
3) belt clips, esp more than 1 and anything larger than a pack of cigarettes.
4) talking about video games
5) talking about PC's and hardware
6) talking about any playing card game with creatures/monsters on the cards
7) talking about investments (they'd rather see the money than hear about it)

:)

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Most celebrities carry cell phones, however you don't see them on their waist...if it was 'cool' they'd be doing it.

This is funny. I'm being called retarded by a person who allows their fashion sense be dictated to them by what they see "celebrities" wearing.

rolleye.gif

BTW, you have no idea what anyone wears when not in front of a camera.

Crappopotamus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Crappopotamus
pfft. oh your more "mature". gah youre just bitter youre old, geeky and uncool. btw i am a hs "geek" i suppose. being mature or being a geek doesnt mean you have to be ghey looking.

No, I'm not particularly cool. But I don't care. I have embraced by geekiness. And I'm making 4 times as much money as some of the "cool" people I went to HS with who are working at Pizza places and partying with their "cool" friends.

And no, I'm not bitter. In fact, I'm pretty damn happy with life right now. Got my CS degree 2 years ago. I've got a great job. A great wife. Three great kids. Just bought my first house. Life is damn good right now.

And like it or not, you will feel differently about many things when you are older. I'm 31 and I'm just now starting to get over that teenage feeling that my parents, and adults in general are all idiots who don't know any more than I do.

and your hip. your with it. chucka chucka chucka. :D
im somewhere in the middle. im not gonna end up in a pizza place... but im still going to go out an party and stuff as much as i can. its a strange balance.
and this is forum is way too old for me... jeebus. youre ALL IDIOTS! i am the SMARTEST IN THE WORLD.

Crappopotamus

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2002
Originally posted by: Amused

This is funny. I'm being called retarded by a person who allows their fashion sense be dictated to them by what they see "celebrities" wearing.

rolleye.gif

*stamp* UNCOOL!

as sad as it may be, "coolness" is largely based on whats seen in the media. i guess its kinda pitiful and retarted... but hey. im a consumer WHORE. a cool one at that.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused

rolleye.gif

I never said my fashion sense was dictated by anyone....for the record I do my own thing. What I said above was if it was 'cool' celebrities would have belt clips, obviously the convenience to them does not dictate looking like a pencil-necked geek. It's the fools all getting defensive about their batman utility belts.

Actually I do, you realize I live in Palm Beach County, Tommy Lee Jones lives about 5 mins from me I have seen him shopping, Celine Dion sang for one of the doctor's my mother worked with, daughter's sweet 16 party (he was a OB-GYN and helped with Celine's delivery), both Datillo's went to my HS (one was Lucas from Days of our Lives, the other is the lady from the Chris Issac show/the girl in Janie's Got a Gun) and I have been to various parties where celebrities were there and also to night clubs / bars / malls / restaurants / food stores / theatres in my area where celebrities are out and about...but that's a great assumption on your part.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
"Ghey"-looking? I don't care. It's a necessity with slim-line/non-flip phones.

On top of that, I need to wear a pager and my ID badge all on my pants. I think it all looks stupid, but it's a necessity when I'm on the go around the office.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
many phones can handle two or more phone numbers (another cell phone number and/or pager)....and even offer custom ringtones for each.

However pagers do seem more reliable in spotty areas...I have good signal everywhere I go so it'd probably not be a problem for me.

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Why is this still being talked about. You can go up to every person on the planet and pick something you consider "ghey" about there appearance. So if every one has at least one thing that somoone considers "ghey" about their appearance then everyone is "ghey" so deciding if one thing in particular is "ghey" is a moot point. You are all ghey and so am I.

Get a F-ing life.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: gigapet
Get a F-ing life.
LOL. Oh the irony.

I can't help but say that... I don't care what you say in return. :D

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Why is this still being talked about. You can go up to every person on the planet and pick something you consider "ghey" about there appearance. So if every one has at least one thing that somoone considers "ghey" about their appearance then everyone is "ghey" so deciding if one thing in particular is "ghey" is a moot point. You are all ghey and so am I.

Get a F-ing life.

hmm should take your own advice and not read posts you don't want to discuss
rolleye.gif
rose.gif

gigapet

Lifer
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
Get a F-ing life.
LOL. Oh the irony.

I can't help but say that... I don't care what you say in return. :D

Oh yes it is ironic I know.

I'm sure its safe to say that anybody regularly reading atot threads needs to get a life. including myself.

dolph

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
my cell phone isn't so huge nor are my pants so tight that carrying it in my pocket is uncomfortable or awkward. i suppose a belt clip would make for easier access and could make it slightly more comfortable, but i don't like the look and i can deal with it in my pocket, so there it stays.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
Although I usually have the clip attached to my front pocket because I don't usually wear a belt and it's more comfortable than having it on my waistband or in my pocket.

That's got to be really styling :) I hope you wear the phone inside the pocket and not on the outside as that would make the shirt look ridiculous.
I don't even know what that means. What does it have to do with my shirt?
I mean I put the clip on the front pants pocket, slid all the way to the side. So it's almost exactly where it would be if I had it on my side on a belt, just a couple inches lower. And you missed the point that I'm not really going for "styling".

I am in sales
Awww, that explains it. Sales is all about style over substance. Out of curiosity, what do you sell?
It'd be funny if it was cell phones.

I've got a very important question for all you non belt clip wearing "cool" people.
Is it more "ghey" to wear an ID badge around your neck or clipped to your shirt or pants?
Or should I just quit my job so I won't look "ghey".

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Is it more "ghey" to wear an ID badge around your neck or clipped to your shirt or pants?

Its kept in my wallet. Observe your boss's boss and see if he wears it around his displayed.

The answers you seek are right in front of you young techie (paduone). :)

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
It's spelled padawan.
And we have to have our badges displayed at all times. So the choice is clipped on, or around the neck. Actually, most people have it around the neck except the people working on machines where it could get caught.

alocurto

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 1999
I used to wear it on my belt. A girl at work told me I shouldn't cause it looked gay. Once I took it off my belt I got a ton of chicks.... true story.