Poll: camry or maxima?

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
Depends on what you like. A Camry obviously isn't going to look or handle as well as a Maxima. It all depends on how you drive. If you're a "spirited" driver you'll want a Maxima. If you drive like grandma you'll want a Camry.

Xionide

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2002
Their is a lot of hype surrounding the camry and a lot of it is deserved. But the more I read about it this car just seems bare. It doesn't come with the bells and whistles that it should for the price. Also it's handling isn't the best. On the other hand the maxima has all that is lacking and has a higher consumer rating. This is for my mom tho so I dunno.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Xionide
Their is a lot of hype surrounding the camry and a lot of it is deserved. But the more I read about it this car just seems bare. It doesn't come with the bells and whistles that it should for the price. Also it's handling isn't the best. On the other hand the maxima has all that is lacking and has a higher consumer rating. This is for my mom tho so I dunno.

Your absolutely right, but as a commuters car, it is pretty nice.

edmundoab

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2003
www.facebook.com
now that u mentioned it, my friend sold it after using for like 4 years.
too early to say how it will do in a long run.
and he got it brand new.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I like to think I've had some influence over the perception of maximas on these boards, and maybe that's why maximas are winning 2:1 over camrys, which are inferior in most respects (the two they are not inferior in is resale and a slight edge over quality...that edge widened if you're looking at new maximas, which are not so hot).
I am talking about 95-2000 cars btw.
Then it's a no brainer. The fastest camry from that era drives like crap and has no power. The 95-2000 Maximas (realize that 2000 was the first year of the 5th gens, so if you can squeeze into one I'd highly recommend it) are proven vehicles: fun and reliable and kick ass.

You'd have to drive both, but one thing going for used maximas is that their resale is bad. You will not find a similarly aged/miled camry for the same price. IMO you pay more for less.

Gamingphreek

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I would pick maxima. However before you go with either... take a look at the Honda Accord. :thumbsup:

We got the Accord EX V6. Probably the best of both worlds for you. I believe the Maxima pumps out a bit more HP. The Accord has IIRC 250. As said earlier the Camry is more Sedan whereas the Accord and Maxima retain those features while taking it a step further and adding some sport and power.

If you have an endless budget, definitely check out Acura as well ;)

-Kevin

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I like to think I've had some influence over the perception of maximas on these boards, and maybe that's why maximas are winning 2:1 over camrys, which are inferior in most respects (the two they are not inferior in is resale and a slight edge over quality...that edge widened if you're looking at new maximas, which are not so hot).
I am talking about 95-2000 cars btw.
Then it's a no brainer. The fastest camry from that era drives like crap and has no power. The 95-2000 Maximas (realize that 2000 was the first year of the 5th gens, so if you can squeeze into one I'd highly recommend it) are proven vehicles: fun and reliable and kick ass.

You'd have to drive both, but one thing going for used maximas is that their resale is bad. You will not find a similarly aged/miled camry for the same price. IMO you pay more for less.

Are you know going to be the new voice for the Mazda MPV on the boards now? ;)

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
aren't these two not really in compitition of each other? maxima looks better in the late 90's models (don't like the new ones), and will have more power. Needless to say, I liked my 95 carmy, I drove it hard :)

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Gamingphreek
I would pick maxima. However before you go with either... take a look at the Honda Accord. :thumbsup:

We got the Accord EX V6. Probably the best of both worlds for you. I believe the Maxima pumps out a bit more HP. The Accord has IIRC 250. As said earlier the Camry is more Sedan whereas the Accord and Maxima retain those features while taking it a step further and adding some sport and power.

If you have an endless budget, definitely check out Acura as well ;)

-Kevin

Not to play devil's advocate, but I owned a '98 Accord EX V6 and was really disappointed with its handling and build quality - it felt like driving a Buick. I traded it in for a 2001 Maxima, which I like much better. IMO it's hard to beat Maximas as used cars - they are highly reliable, fun to drive, and have fairly poor resale, making them a great bargain once they're a couple of years old.

jaedaliu

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2005
My dad has bought 5 camrys and 1 maxima, and he only buys new (he knows nothing about fixing cars and just wants something he doesn't need to worry about.)

in 98 he bought a maxima because they had a $7000 off sale (nissan was at their low point, nobody was buying and their credit rating was horrible, so my dad jumped on the deal)

in feb 05 he bought a camry.

I've driven both (i drive the maxima now, he got the camry so i could take his old car) the old maxima is more fun to drive, and has been plenty reliable.

that being said, why did he go back to the camry after driving a maxima for 7 years? the price difference. My dad's a firm believer in not wasting money on frivolous stuff: bigger engine, more styling, um. stuff like that. He actually enjoyed driving the altima we test drove, but the 05 camry le ended up being just shy of 16k out the door.

anyways, long story short, buy what you enjoy driving more. the maxima and camry aren't exactly the same quality of car. The camry is a family sedan that's designed towards comfort, and the maxima is a sports sedan. If you do a lot of driving people around in the back seat, I'd recommend the camry. Even my dad's old 88 camry handles bumps more smoothly than the maxima (different suspension types)

if you're looking at a maxima vs a v4 camry, you gotta realize the loss in power also relates to a decent bump in MPG

rambling post conclusion: i'd get a maxima if the price was the same as a camry. The additional performance isn't worth a large price difference in a car that would be used as a commuter car 95% of the time.