• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Poll: At what bitrate do you encode music?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tick all that apply

• 96k or less

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.3%

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Lossless

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Other

• Total voters

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I have everything lossless FLAC/ALAC and a copy in AAC 256k or 320kbps MP3 for my car/phone.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
For home listening or archival purposes, FLAC-been doing that for at least twenty years.

I spend a lot of time in the car. Unless I can pick up a decent college station/show or am in a NPR mood, I play music off my phone on a random basis our of an approximately 2500 tune collection. Given how noisy cars are, I generally don't even mess with quieter tracks, so audio quality is a lesser priority than available storage space (damn modern phones) so the car tracks are 128 bit MP3s (now AAC since now using an iphone).

Let me divert this thread a bit. Is there anyone besides me that thinks iTunes is perhaps the most unintuitive major piece of software ever? I miss my android phone where I could easily drag and drop music on or off my phone. I recently spent the better part of an afternoon trying to figure out how to take an album off my phone and/or add just one new album from my home computer's library of mp3s/AAC. Never did get it done. Something that would take a couple of seconds on my old android phone (or the antiquated Windows phone before it).

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
For home listening or archival purposes, FLAC-been doing that for at least twenty years.

I spend a lot of time in the car. Unless I can pick up a decent college station/show or am in a NPR mood, I play music off my phone on a random basis our of an approximately 2500 tune collection. Given how noisy cars are, I generally don't even mess with quieter tracks, so audio quality is a lesser priority than available storage space (damn modern phones) so the car tracks are 128 bit MP3s (now AAC since now using an iphone).

Let me divert this thread a bit. Is there anyone besides me that thinks iTunes is perhaps the most unintuitive major piece of software ever? I mess my android phone where I could easily drag and drop music on or off my phone. I recently spent the better part of an afternoon trying to figure out how to take an album off my phone and/or add just one new album from my home computer's library of mp3s/AAC. Never did get it done. Something that would take a couple of seconds on my old android phone (or the antiquated Windows phone before it).

They were on bad drugs when they designed that.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
If I'm ripping the source myself, it's 320kbps CBR. Stream over Plex when not local.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Mine are encoded to flac and 320 (my car does not support flac on its built in player).

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I use ogg at 256-320kbps. I mostly listen to electronic music from games, and FLAC is nice but often not worth it when the music and instrument samples are not top quality to begin with.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Back when I started creating MP3s from my disks I used 128k because in the early 90s HDs were expensive and space was a premium. Now, I redid most of my collection at 320k minimum but for the most part I just create a wav file and leave it at that. Space is so cheap any my main PC is at 20TB of SSD and I have so many NAS boxes with even more TBs.

ASK THE COMMUNITY