Police: Fla. father beats accused child abuser

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
It's unethical to physically assault another person.

You sound like the piece of shit principal who suspended my son who defended himself when another kid started a fight with him. teachers saw it, security footage saw it and there was no doubt that my son did not throw the first punch but defended himself and kicked the kids ass. but because he "fought back" he is just as guilty and got a 3 day suspension.

the principal told me and him while I was in his office picking up my kid, that my son should have run away and got a teacher.

fuck that, I told the principal flat out that my son has my permission to defend himself and the schools policy is pure bullshit.

you are what's wrong with our country, you call a man protecting his son while in the process of being raped is unethical? wtf dude you are a fucking pussy.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
You sound like the piece of shit principal who suspended my son who defended himself when another kid started a fight with him. teachers saw it, security footage saw it and there was no doubt that my son did not throw the first punch but defended himself and kicked the kids ass. but because he "fought back" he is just as guilty and got a 3 day suspension.

the principal told me and him while I was in his office picking up my kid, that my son should have run away and got a teacher.

fuck that, I told the principal flat out that my son has my permission to defend himself and the schools policy is pure bullshit.

you are what's wrong with our country, you call a man protecting his son while in the process of being raped is unethical? wtf dude you are a fucking pussy.

Another AT tough guy; is Alke no longer a member and you're vying for his role?

OK, so physical assault isn't always unethical then. What about physical assault in the defense of others? If he had punched the rapist just once to incapacitate him, would you consider it unethical?

Yes.

I live by my own code of ethics. Obviously it won't suit all people.

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Alzan,

You do realize that that child is fucked for life don't you? Why are you so worried about a child molester getting his ass kicked when an innocent kid has had his entire life destroyed? I find it odd that you can find empathy for a dangerous predator of children but NONE for the victimized children, that is very very very ODD.

This guy is part of what is wrong with the world. They want to see the good punished.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
There are quite a few proscribed ways to incapacitate a person without beating them unconscious.

Yes, and almost all require specialized training or equipment to properly execute. Expecting everyone to have said training and/or equipment is unreasonable.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Yes.

It won't suit you either, at least not for the situations you're proscribing it to. Philosophies like yours only exist as intellectual exercises in non-threatening environments, and typically only serve as holier-than-thou mental masturbation. They are utterly useless and potentially damaging in reality. Your code of ethics as you've described it here could very well hurt someone who depended on you simply to make yourself feel better.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally Posted by alzan
There are quite a few proscribed ways to incapacitate a person without beating them unconscious.

That is why I just absolutely loved it when the 911 operator said -- Sir, are there any weapons involved?
The guy said YES!! MAM!! My fist and my feet!!! hahahaaa

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Yes.

But you've already admitted that you would likely fail by your own code of ethics. How unethical can it possibly be when the vast majority of people put in that situation will similarly fail? You think that imprisonment for 90+% of fathers put in a situation where they catch their children being raped is ethical?

Last edited:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Now that was a serious ass-kicking

2014-07-19T164200Z_1_LOVEA6I1ADZ8F_RTRMADP_BASEIMAGE-960X540_USA-DAD-BEATS-MOLESTER-O.JPG

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
But you've already admitted that you would likely fail by your own code of ethics. How unethical can it possibly be when the vast majority of people put in that situation will similarly fail? You think that imprisonment for 90+% of fathers put in a situation where they catch their children being raped is ethical?

I said the father should be charged, not imprisoned.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Predicting how someone other than yourself would act in a given situation is little more than mental masturbation. As well, calling someone weak and helpless after "predicting" what they would do in that situation is a well known but juvenile tactic in discussion.

Batman is a fictional character, I assure you I am real.

I gave the father no advice, I said I may have reacted like him in the same situation. Also never said tying up someone is trivial, those are your words; I presented the possibility. And yes a belt, electrical cord, etc. could have easily been used to tie up the teen. Despite it being a highly emotional situation people can still think.

I see nothing confusing about it; committing an unethical act is wrong in any circumstance.
Personally I put this in the category of stealing food to feed hungry children. Yes, it's committing a normally unethical act and maybe it is wrong - but it would have been more wrong not to do it.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I said the father should be charged, not imprisoned.

Yeeeaaah at this point it's pretty obvious you're either being intentionally vague because you know you don't have any reasonable basis for your views, or because you're just trolling.

alzan

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Yeeeaaah at this point it's pretty obvious you're either being intentionally vague because you know you don't have any reasonable basis for your views, or because you're just trolling.

It's all in my original post, not in what you or others imagine I posted.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
It's all in my original post, not in what you or others imagine I posted.

No it's not. All you said was that he "went too far". You provided no explanation for why you consider his actions to be unethical.

If the police could find evidence of such, if it was just the two of them without any witnesses it would be damn near impossible to prove it wasn't self defense.

lol

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
If the police could find evidence of such, if it was just the two of them without any witnesses it would be damn near impossible to prove it wasn't self defense.
Unless he claimed to have shot the boy as well, there would be an eye witness account.

That brings something else to mind. Abused kids tend to blame themselves. Well, this is one boy with absolute clarity as to who is to blame. The father simply left no room for doubt.