Pointless Disconnected Blabs, Ramblings and Utterances

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
That's on Pep Boys not Tire Rack.... speaking of them (Tire Rack) did you let them know you had problems? (they actually do follow up)

Last time however my local Firestone store offered to beat their best price so always ask.
It wasn't Tire Rack, was Tirebuyer and at the time, price matching did not include an additional Tirebuyer discount coupon plus Chase rewards 5% off, made them the cheapest by ~13%. Maybe only 8%, the other Chase 5% was by using paypal and IDK which online tire sellers take paypal.

I hadn't been in Pep Boys for years and don't see myself ever going back. While roaming the isles, I noticed that they don't even try to be competitive with Autozone or Advance Auto on the parts I'd even consider buying locally instead of online.

In that case it happened to be Cooper Tires, that Pep Boys did stock. I just hadn't considered that they'd be little weenies about not buying there, since they did have the option of not being an associate installer if they didn't want the work. I mean during Tirebuyer checkout, it lists installers and installation appointment slots available, didn't have to set that up separately or give them Pep Boys' address to ship to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
My experience with the local Pep Boys has been "okay" but I never dealt with the service department only parts.

When I had my Scion xB they were the ONLY place that stocked the rear-wiper I needed for some stupid reason.

Nov 17, 2019
Web was down overnight and I had to resort to the mobile for my web fix. I'm not really used to using it like that and the fargin' 'assistant' kept crawling up from the bottom of the screen. After a few times, I muttered a cuss word.
Screen responded with 'I'm not sure if you were talking to me, but I'll disregard what you said'.

Need to kill that thing.

Nov 17, 2019
Seems like no one noticed the passing ....

RIP Leap Second: Time Fix to Be Scrapped by 2035

www.pcmag.com.ico
PC Magazine|6 minutes ago
Scientists and government representatives last week agreed to retire the practice of adding leap seconds to make up for the difference between exact atomic time and Earth's slower rotation. A vote, held Friday at the General Conference on Weights and Measures (GCWM) in Paris,

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I had an appointment to get my new tires put on today.

Drove there, got there 10 minutes early for the appointment, walked up to the automotive center entrance door, and see a sign on the door that reads "CLOSED" and it won't open. DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a Seinfeld moment, lol.

I just about broke out into a deranged lunatic laugh, but then the Big Door to the automotive bays opened and I talked to a guy and another guy, and they got me in!

Got the tires on, got the TPMS sensors installed and sync'd up, no gouges on my rims, and done in about an hour, with the right tire pressure too!

It's almost redeeming. Almost, but not. Walmart needs to separate the wheat from the chaff. The guys working in the bays today were great. The logistics up until that, not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: lxskllr

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It's not over yet! They put the vehicle mileage on my receipt as "0" or rather that's probably the default value and they didn't enter it.

I failed to read the receipt in enough detail to notice this at the time, was cold and hungry and...

… Last thing I remember, I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
"Relax, " said the night man
"We are programmed to receive
You can check out any time you like
But you can never leave"​

I doubt I'll have a problem that needs the treadwear warranty but it would be nice to have proof of mileage. Guess since they don't answer their phone, I'll have to drive back again and again until there's someone on duty who can get this fixed.

Considering how short staffed they are, it might be more efficient to just apply to work in the automotive department, fix it on my first day there, then quit, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Considering how short staffed they are, it might be more efficient to just apply to work in the automotive department, fix it on my first day there, then quit, lol.

Yep.... sounds about par for the course. :rolleyes:

Walmart automotive made one time/money consuming mistake or another with around 75% of the fleet-vehicles they touched over the few months my company used them. (wrong oil, wrong filter, failed to properly install filter, over/under filled oil, failure to replace damaged oil-plug... the list goes on)

The frustration and wheel-spinning MORE than made up for any $ savings.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I see you haven't experienced the joy of white pine. I almost got stuck in a tree last year cause I foolishly climbed it in warm weather, and my hitch bound up tight in pine pitch.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
UPS usually comes after 4:30, and sometimes after 6:00. Of course, I had a package I needed to sign for, so they came yesterday at 2:40 while I was at work, and I missed them. Said I had to be home by 2:00 today to give a buffer, but actually got home at 1:15. UPS showed up at 2:02. If I had gotten home at 2:00, I'd have just squeaked by for time. I'm sure the next regular package I'm waiting for will come at dark o'clock, cause fuck me...

Nov 17, 2019
Bought a couple of Samsung 870s a week or so back.

Now I see this:

1671620284260.png

Now, I might be able to understand the ink and maybe, possibly the sealant, but the silver solder?

• Haha
Reactions: KMFJD
Nov 17, 2019
Gotta love some of their descriptions:

Heath Outdoor Products DD-12 Peanutty Raisin Suet Cake, 11.5 oz, Case Of 12 , Brown
Heath Outdoor Products DD-12 Peanutty Raisin Suet Cake, 11.5 oz, Case Of 12 , Brown

Well, yeah, I suppose a peanut & raisin mix just might be brown.