Pointless Disconnected Blabs, Ramblings and Utterances

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
No mind. It only gets in the way.

Once you accept that, things get easier.

Besides, "mind" is mostly what you were trained by society to think, not your own mind, unmolested.

Nov 17, 2019
I can't hardly read the words on a piece of paper in my hand, but I can see a Hummingbird on a tree leaf 50' away.

Nov 17, 2019
Late one night back in the 80s, I was driving from Port Clinton to Toledo listening to WRIF out of Detroit. A song came on that I almost didn't notice at first. It started out sort of mellow and blusey, but around the middle it picked up and got more rockish. I'd never heard it before and had no idea what it was or who the band was. And of course, since it was late night, it was in the middle of a long set and the DJ never announced any of them.

It bugged me for days and I even called the station to ask, but they weren't able to pick it out.

It was probably a couple of months before I heard it again and was able to get it identified as 'Still Loving You' by The Scorpions.

To this day, whenever I hear it (as I just did, prompting this post), I'm back in that car on that two lane road, late that night.

Nov 17, 2019
Haven't had Chinese food in ages ..... long, long time. Got to jonesin' for some today while I was out. Went to a place I'd never been before They said they had a lunch size and dinner sized Combination Fried Rice. I chose tyhe dinner size so I'd have some extra. Price was $10 and change, about $3 more than I paid 15 years or so ago. No big deal I thought. Then they brought it out. About a third the size of what I used to get. Not quite a pint instead of an over stuffed quart.

Egg rolls are about half the size I remember too, but only $1.60 each.

Oh well.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Was just shopping on Amazon, notice that many if not all the warehouse items I saw, are no longer listed as open box or used, etc, now all are showing something I seldom saw before, "Pre-owned", even on items that I know were not pre-owned to the extent of being used, like brake rotors that would be scuffed up upon the very first use.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Was just shopping on Amazon, notice that many if not all the warehouse items I saw, are no longer listed as open box or used, etc, now all are showing something I seldom saw before, "Pre-owned", even on items that I know were not pre-owned to the extent of being used, like brake rotors that would be scuffed up upon the very first use.

LoL used rotors

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I have not been eating at fast food restaurants much in the last few years, but stopped at a Rally's (aka Checkers) today and WTF prices?!!

Years ago when I ate there, they had pretty competitive prices but now, $2.79 for a small fountain drink, $2.99 for small fries? They must be smoking crack.

Fries and drinks are supposed to cost LESS than the burgers, but just down the road was a McDonald's where the same, even less money can get me $1 fries (or less/free with mobile app deals), or a McDouble, plus a McChicken, a Grilled Onion Cheddar Burger, a BBQ Ranch Burger, AND a cheeseburger and it still costs less in total to buy all those, than small fries and a small drink at Rally's. Plus, I wouldn't even want to eat that much (especially the carbs and sodium), would have leftovers.

Also my Amazon pre-owned brake rotors arrived, and are in brand new condition as expected, factory bags sealed, just dented/repackaged boxes. Even so, I have an issue with one that has nothing to do with being a warehouse item

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Started getting into old tv shows, that i saw on a crt 30+ years ago, big difference seeing them remastered on a 4K screen, even if only 720p. Watching Kung Fu right now, but there are so many others...

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There can never be too many holidays. But what they need to do is make them more consistent. Make it so everyone is off not just select groups. Some holidays some people are off while some holidays other people are off, it gets really confusing trying to figure out what's open or not. Just shut down everything for everyone and call it a day. My company is bad for that, they pick and choose which days they'll give to us. For example we don't get Family Day, but we do get Truth and reconciliation day. But then some other companies might be the opposite.

Nov 17, 2019
A lot of generic foods are fine. Some are barely tolerable. Some are better than the brand names.

Tomato soup MUST be Campbell's. I've never found one even close.

Same with V8. There is only one.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Got a new furnace 9 months ago. They decided to get fancy and use a gas valve with an added on-off switch on it. 50 cent crappy quality switch now failing. It was never used, just stayed "On" since installed.

Old furnace valve w/o a switch worked 30 years w/o fault. There are 3 other simple ways to stop gas, main power cutoff, external gas inlet valve, and pulling the wire connector to this valve.

valve_switch.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2019
"Join Venmo and you’re on the way to getting a $10-$500 mystery reward. Just fill out your info to unlock the offer. Don't forget to add your mobile number and keep your eyes peeled as the payout will happen within 30 days."

Yeah right Bub. I'll get right on that.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Awhile ago I was pondering how stupid animals are. They're trivially easy to trap using only a bit of food. Works every single time. It occurred to me humans are exactly the same with money. There doesn't even have to be real physical money involved. The promise of money will get a human to reveal information or put themselves in a poorly defended spot. Dumb as mice.

Reactions: nakedfrog

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Last week Amazon sent me a returned item labeled as "pre-owned" when I had ordered the item new. (replacement deadbolt)

:rolleyes:

I might have kept it anyway if it had been packed properly and in good shape but it arrived literally as a box of loose parts rattling around in the box with ZERO packing, some of which were obviously damaged.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ I've been lucky with Amazon warehouse, besides a digital clock with a button that didn't work, everything else was like new except a scuffed up or dented box.

Just got some epoxy, "Used - Like New" in a pristine box and factory sealed bottles, but it also read "Item will come in original packaging. This item will expire on 7/26/24", which doesn't really bother me because I'm sure I can manage to use it up in the next 21 months. At the same time there are reviews from customers who received this already too thick or hardened but mine are still liquid.

Nov 17, 2019
I've gotten to where I look for Warehouse deals on item I'm considering. Often 20-50% off, sometimes more. Have never received a bad one yet.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Awhile ago I was pondering how stupid animals are. They're trivially easy to trap using only a bit of food. Works every single time. It occurred to me humans are exactly the same with money. There doesn't even have to be real physical money involved. The promise of money will get a human to reveal information or put themselves in a poorly defended spot. Dumb as mice.

So true. Stalin actually ripped the feathers off a chicken and threw it on the ground, then put out his hand with food, and the chicken came to eat. He said this works very well on humans too, and history has indeed shown this. You can take away people's freedoms, money and everything they have, but they will still come in support of you when you give them a bit of something "free".

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Rats would beg to differ. They are wary little....

My old cat would too. She knew "geography" and always came back home.

Nov 17, 2019
Why do bank statement dates vary?

Mine are almost never on the same date each month, weekend, holiday or not. Number of days vary too, not whole months, 26, 28, 33 days in a period or similar.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Walmart! I hardly ever shop there, except for automotive items like motor oil, and batteries. Last spring, I bought a battery and instead of it itemizing the core charge as a separate line item, it instead added it to the tax charged.

This meant when I took the old battery to the Walmart B&M, they could not process the core charge refund, so I took the old battery back home and called 1-800-walmart to get the core charge credit.

You'd think that this would put them on notice and fix their checkout for battery core charges. Nope, same thing happened again today.

Maybe just a #firstworldproblem as I got a good price on the battery, free next day delivery (though they state delivery same day today) for this ~50lb battery, and $10 off with code WOWFRESH... think the code was supposed to be for 20% off groceries but $10 off (about 8%) on a fresh battery is okay too, plus Chase CC rewards include Walmart this quarter.

Inflation tho'... even after the discounts, this is still ending up 25% more expensive than the same thing bought 5 years ago with no discounts, and yet there is nowhere I could get this group size/CCA cheaper, BUT last time I bought same battery it had 3 yr replacement, +2 yr pro-rated warranty. They got rid of the pro-rated and now just 3 yr replacement.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
So true. Stalin actually ripped the feathers off a chicken and threw it on the ground, then put out his hand with food, and the chicken came to eat. He said this works very well on humans too, and history has indeed shown this. You can take away people's freedoms, money and everything they have, but they will still come in support of you when you give them a bit of something "free".
How shocking you've swallowed another one.