Pointless Disconnected Blabs, Ramblings and Utterances

Nov 17, 2019
It's amazing how little ash come out of a wood stove compared to how much wood went in. I loaded the stove with numerous logs over two and a half days. Some were quite heavy. 18-24" diameter white Oak split multiple times to yield 3-4" diameter wedges, some a bit larger. Stove was packed nearly full several times.

I shoveled out about a half a standard metal mop bucket of ash.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I had some wood last year I think that made almost no ash. Can't remember what it was. Might have been spruce. I use that stuff at the beginning/end of the season when I just want to take the chill off. Burning mostly black locust this year. That makes a good bit of ash.

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
20211116_181134.jpg

Our new dog, Dude on the right is turning out to be quite joy to have around. We had him for a couple of months now. They both are rescue from Texas and brought to Canada for adoption.

That is all.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
It's amazing how little ash come out of a wood stove compared to how much wood went in. I loaded the stove with numerous logs over two and a half days. Some were quite heavy. 18-24" diameter white Oak split multiple times to yield 3-4" diameter wedges, some a bit larger. Stove was packed nearly full several times.

I shoveled out about a half a standard metal mop bucket of ash.
Apparently you're supposed to leave a layer of ash in them (I just moved into a house that has a wood stove this year). But yes, I was also surprised with how little ash buildup there was from the times we used it, compared with using the fireplace upstairs.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Our new lizards, Nefarian and Onyxia (crazy zoomed in b/c she's skittish).
1641836413888.png
1641836375592.png

I have a wood pellet stove. At the bottom is a little flapper you pull out with a lever in order to dump ash/carbonized crap at the bottom of the fire pot. It tends to stick, i suspect due to a buildup of crap on/around the actual flap that pulls back. Anyone know how to get rid of that? I'm hesitant to start spraying either water or chemicals in there, and scraping hasn't availed me yet.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have a wood pellet stove. At the bottom is a little flapper you pull out with a lever in order to dump ash/carbonized crap at the bottom of the fire pot. It tends to stick, i suspect due to a buildup of crap on/around the actual flap that pulls back. Anyone know how to get rid of that? I'm hesitant to start spraying either water or chemicals in there, and scraping hasn't availed me yet.
I don't have a pellet stove, but diesel cures a lot of ailments in general. As long as it won't hurt to have petroleum on that part, I'd give that a try. Maybe even something like wd40.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I don't have a pellet stove, but diesel cures a lot of ailments in general. As long as it won't hurt to have petroleum on that part, I'd give that a try. Maybe even something like wd40.
Unfortunately there's usually fire on that part, hence my concern.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Unfortunately there's usually fire on that part, hence my concern.
That's fine. means it's flame resistant. Any residue will burn off. I just wouldn't use anything volatile like gasoline, cause your next stove start could be exciting :^D

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Our new lizards, Nefarian and Onyxia (crazy zoomed in b/c she's skittish).
View attachment 55745
View attachment 55744

We had a pellet stove installed last month. I'm supposed to scrape the burn pot every day or two and clean the air holes in it. PITA, but doesn't really take that long. Stove came with a scraping tool...and an allen wrench for cleaning the air holes. I also use a small stainless steel wire brush...helps dislodge some of the crap in the holes so cleaning those is easier. It's amazing to me how little waste (ash) there is. Pretty efficient.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
We had a pellet stove installed last month. I'm supposed to scrape the burn pot every day or two and clean the air holes in it. PITA, but doesn't really take that long. Stove came with a scraping tool...and an allen wrench for cleaning the air holes. I also use a small stainless steel wire brush...helps dislodge some of the crap in the holes so cleaning those is easier. It's amazing to me how little waste (ash) there is. Pretty efficient.
So, the bottom itself I clean out every day, but if the fire pot of yours is like mine, there's a lever that opens it up to the ash bin below it. That's the part that sticks.

They are remarkably efficient though. 2 pallets is enough to last us through the winter usually.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
So, the bottom itself I clean out every day, but if the fire pot of yours is like mine, there's a lever that opens it up to the ash bin below it. That's the part that sticks.

They are remarkably efficient though. 2 pallets is enough to last us through the winter usually.

No lever, unfortunately, There are two thumbscrews that loosen that allows a cover place to be removed. Unfortunately, my fckn hands are big enough that it's nearly impossible for me to turn those thumbscrews. I eventually get it...but it's a PITA.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I'm sticking with my ethanol powered mini fire pit. With the mineral wool covered by a stainless steel wire screen, I get a huge yellow flame but only for about an hour.

So I decided to cut up an aluminum can, stuffed it with mineral wool, added 190 proof denatured ethanol and fired it up. It burns very nicely. So now I'm trying to figure out how I can build something that will take maybe a pint of ethanol but be resealable for when I don't want to burn it all at once. Also want a lot surface area so it produces a lot of heat quickly.

I have this vague feeling that there's probably some sort of device that could be jury rigged for that purpose so I'm waiting for my muse to come back and inspire me. I think she may have eloped with some troll though.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I'm pretty sure AnandTech has a WCG team so if you're not already involved in one or more distributed computing projects, take a look at the wide array of options and consider donating a few CPU cycles. Here's some news from WCG.

FYI, the open pandemics project uses both CPUs and GPUs. The nice thing about that is that GPU projects tend to rack up the BOINC points very quickly. So with a couple of multi-core CPUs enhanced with gaming GPUs, you can make a significant impact right away.

Also, if you were ever part of the first distributed projects at United Devices, the WCG BOINC screensaver has the molecule graphics that everyone doing UD loved. Not every project has those but Open Pandemics does.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
So now I'm trying to figure out how I can build something that will take maybe a pint of ethanol but be resealable for when I don't want to burn it all at once. Also want a lot surface area so it produces a lot of heat quickly.
Cookie tin?

Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I've been wanting a Civic Type R since they debuted. So I checked one of those online dealers. 3 year old models are selling for around $10k USD over original list. Whatever happened to losing 25% of value when you drive off the lot?

Zanix

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2003

I've read that tossing in a handful of rock salt can cure the creosote and delivers a plume of black smoke. I haven't tried and can't picture how it'd work. Vaporized NaCl? idk maybe it's abrasive.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Oven cleaner? I know you said no chemicals but it might depend on exactly what's in them. I have no idea. If it's some volatile organic solvent, eh, maybe. That shit boils off at room temp so using in fired stove shouldn't be an issue. Now I have to go look up how oven cleaner works. Sigh.