Discussion Please recommend a decent walking shoes. Not too expensive if possible.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Ho all,

I am three months into my diet and cardio program. I lost 32 pounds so far. However, my cheap Chinese imposter tennis shoes are not helping with the walking.

I don't live in USA and need to order some decent walking exercise shoes from Amazon. Please bear in mind that I have to pay shipping and handling, customs and taxes as well.

Any suggestions? Oh I wear a size 9 USA shoe size.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Have you tried running shoes? I have had quite a few of Asics Nimbus shoes these last 7 or so years. I've found that cheap shoes will only hurt you. Amazon has an Asics store on the US site.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Any shoe with a good insole will help. I'd think about getting a high end insole and simply put that into what you already have. Otherwise just look for any decent shoe with a good foam base.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'd never recommend a running shoe for walking. They just don't have the necessary support. The OP doesn't say in which country he lives...but New Balance makes some very decent walking shoes.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'd never recommend a running shoe for walking. They just don't have the necessary support. The OP doesn't say in which country he lives...but New Balance makes some very decent walking shoes.
I have to disagree with you on running shoe support. A good pair has plenty. I agree with you on New Balance though. They make good shoes for many purposes.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
I run miles with minimalist shoes. So the cushiest shoe possible isn't required, though it can take time to get used to not having padding on the bottom of your feet.

My wife hits about 30,000 steps a day in her job. She has been using Brooks shoes for the last 2 years and they last about 2 months before she feels she needs another pair. They tend to be well cushioned, breathable, and light. They were running $160 to $180 a pair. Her most recent pair though was the new Trace from Brooks. It's lighter than the others she has had before and she likes it a lot plus the price is $100.

Brooks is often available at athletic footwear stores if you want to try some on. She gets hers directly from brooks though as she likes specific colors.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I have to disagree with you on running shoe support. A good pair has plenty. I agree with you on New Balance though. They make good shoes for many purposes.
MOST people don't run the same way they walk, therefore, different shoes for different tasks. Yes, a good to excellent quality running shoe will have plenty of padding to protect the foot...and for some, will be all the support they need, but a running shoe won't be built for the "rocking motion" that a good quality walking shoe will have. The walking shoe will generally be built heavier with less breathable mesh offering more support.
I've had higher end New Balance walkers as well as Finn Comfort walkers.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
New Balance, Rockport, and Brooks are the first brands that come to mind when someone mentions "walking shoes". Or pretty much anything that a triage nurse might recommend (they tend to know good shoes).

I prefer Merrell for their products and customer support, and been buying their shoes and boots for decades now. Most of their shoes are more trail/sport/hiker styled than designed for pavement walking, although they work fine on all surfaces.