Announcement Please Read and HEED the Final Post in This Thread

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
it is not false, keep trying you might get it right. what part is antidemocratic? the ID? lol colorado requires a photo ID to vote.

Well, for instance, one of the parts where the state legislature's appointed state election commission gets to replace up to four counties' board of electors with a single hand-picked figure to run those county boards of electors, who then get to determine if votes get counted/ratified or not. What sort of reasons are used to say the current board of electors are to be replaced? Underperforming is mentioned in the law, whatever the hell that is.....so any reason.

So, they say Fulton, DeKalb (the two ATL counties that vote Dem. consistently and make up ATL proper), Richmond (Augusta), and Chatham (Savannah) are all underperforming and get their election boards replaced with a single, hand-picked person by the State Election Commission to get whatever results the Commission wants reported, which would forever lock in the Repub. domination in GA.

And why do I say whatever the Commission wants reported? Because instead of the Sec. of State being in charge of the elections in GA, now a 5 member Commission is in charge. Who are these members?

Well, one is appointed by the GA Dem. party, one is appointed by the GA Repub party, one appointed by the GA House, one by the GA Senate, and one "non-partisan" essentially appointed by the Gov.

So, in today's reality, that's 4 Republican operatives running the state voting Commission without restraint...there are no checks present in the new law passed. The Commission answers to no one.

But this is all OK with you, isn't it?

Reactions: Pohemi

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I love this fight. Republicans in Georgia thought that they could pull this voter suppression stunt and no one would notice. Now, that the other shoe is dropping, republicans are absolutely freaking out. Republicans freak while Fox News freaks with spinning lies about the voter suppression and actually lying and claiming Georgia law will expand voting and make voting easier and more accessible. Fox is only mirroring the absolute panic now happening within Georgia by republican legislators. The desperation is quite a thing to witness. All of those republican controlled states thought they had a sure thing with enacting law to suppress the vote, but little did they know.... little did they realize. And the icing on the cake, old Mitch McConnell has joined the freak fest. I absolutely love it.

About the bolded part.....the law actually does make it easier for rural voters to vote, so Fox, et al, are not lying when they trot that line out.

Of course, the lie is the unspoken shit beyond that.....like being able to take over county election boards in the state for whatever reason deemed appropriate and then throwing out how ever many votes necessary to ensure the election ends up being the way it "should be."

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Some discussion on the various comparisons:

The comparison is not solid because it doesn't really elaborate on how the Universal mail in voting setup in Colorado is superior to encouraging more and easier access to voting vs Georgia's, so therefore you don't need as many early voting days, etc.. Doesn't get into polling place shutdowns in the not so distant past in mostly red states that have limited polling place access. Ultimately, Colorado's system has a far less 'cost' of voting than Georgia's does. Cost being time and confusion to the average voter.

Also completely omits that the Georgia law allows total takeover of election boards and unlimited voter challenges by the Republican legislature which is kind of the gorilla in the room.

etc...

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Some discussion on the various comparisons:

It's weird that the article disproves its own headline - voting in Colorado is much, much less restricted than Georgia as per the article. Every single voter in the state is mailed a free ballot that they can mail in at their leisure. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Of issue here is that voting is a Constitutionally guaranteed negative right. Meaning that once a person chooses to exercise that right by registering to vote, they shouldn't have to prove their right each and every time they choose to exercise it again. Imagine if we applied that same logic to the 2a.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
The problem with these anti-woke, anti-PC, anti-cancel culture conservatives isn't just their hypocrisy and their blatant racism, it's that they're fucking clueless about how racism and exclusion are bad for business. Which is why the GOP and Corporate America are breaking up.
The whole thing reminds of a few years ago when I was working for a megacorp and sitting in one of the endless meetings that is the megacorp culture. And one of my peers suddenly starts ranting about why do we have to put up all this PC crap? Blah blah blah. And I cut them off at the knees. I said, because 300k people work for this company, and we want it all to work smoothly without ignorant prejudices creating disruptions. Because we want to be able to hire and retain top talent regardless of their skin color or ethnicity. Because we have ten of millions of customers, and we want their business regardless of how "funny sounding" their last name might be to you. We never spoke again and they retired a year or so later.

I did something similar when a superior wanted me to coach a sales guy under me about “him talking too black” and it impacting his customer feedback. He had received a survey that said “I would never give a N****r a 10”
I said hell no I am not doing it. Pissed him off big. Called a Union Rep and he said he’d take care of it. Six hours later the survey was deleted.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I did something similar when a superior wanted me to coach a sales guy under me about “him talking too black” and it impacting his customer feedback. He had received a survey that said “I would never give a N****r a 10”
I said hell no I am not doing it. Pissed him off big. Called a Union Rep and he said he’d take care of it. Six hours later the survey was deleted.

Holy shit that's fucked up

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Trump wants you to boycott Coke but he won’t give up drinking it. Colbert(or one of them) had a picture from Mar-A-Lago of Trump and partially hidden behind his phone was a bottle of Diet Coke. Do as I say, but not as I do.

If Trump wants to ruin/shut down Coca-Cola, he should just buy it and try to run it. Might be tricky for him, as Coca-Cola’s market cap is $228 billion. Real billionaires like Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk could by Coca-Cola, but fake billionaires like Donald Trump couldn’t even get a seat on the board of directors. Trump couldn’t get a seat on the bottling line.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo
Feb 4, 2009
Holy shit that's fucked up

The N word was spelled creatively to avoid the swear filter but it was pretty clear.
Happened in 2009 or 10
Guy I worked for was the classic do as I say guy even if it is wrong or worse a code of business violation. Typically I’d tell him to email exactly what he wants done because that way he is on the hook for questionable actions too. I didn’t even give the option on that coaching session. I simply said no I will not do that. I knew the Union guy would be able to get it removed since his requests filtered thru HR and mine filtered thru the sales channel.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm hoping we’re approaching a tipping point where the backlash against GOP voter suppression will be greater than the number of votes the GOP is able to suppress.

The flashpoint may occur in '24 when a Republican state legislature (WI, MI, PA, GA, NC?) decides that the state’s election processes were “flawed” and sends the Republican candidate’s electors to Congress in spite of the Democratic candidate winning the state.

While we’re letting ourselves be a little distracted by shutting down drop boxes and banning water to people waiting in long lines, Republicans have been setting themselves up to legislatively ignore a vote that doesn’t go their way. If a good chunk of Americans don’t think this is overstepping the boundaries of democracy, then we no longer have an actual democracy going forward. It is not entirely clear to me how much Americans actually value democracy. Some people are more comfortable living in a democracy that is defined by people who like and think like themselves.

What’s left of conservative writing is drifting towards exactly that – questioning the value of democracy itself. If current conservative values cannot prevail in the courts of public opinion, the theory goes, then the Moral Minority has no choice but to impose anti-democratic measures to preserve those values and “save the nation’s character.” They are getting closer to an outright rejection of majoritarian governance.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
About the bolded part.....the law actually does make it easier for rural voters to vote, so Fox, et al, are not lying when they trot that line out.

Of course, the lie is the unspoken shit beyond that.....like being able to take over county election boards in the state for whatever reason deemed appropriate and then throwing out how ever many votes necessary to ensure the election ends up being the way it "should be."

Whenever any republican controlled state tinkers around with their voting process you can be assured it is not meant to make voting any easier. That is not in their nature. No one is being fooled.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Moscow Mitch's reaction gave me about 30min of sustained laughter earlier. What a sanctimonious douchebag, but then these traitors always need to push the hypocrisy envelope. Not much else you can do when you're always on the wrong side of the issue, facts, and history.

Mr 'Corporations Are People, Money is Speech' having a problem with a private organization/company reserving the right to do business where and with whom it chooses is beyond epic. Boycotts are American. Why can't you be? Someone of your age and position acting so flippantly ignorant of why we have a 1st Amendment in the first place...wow!

NCxBUWi.jpg

What he said. 'Put up with us ruining democracy, or there will be consequences.' Uh, how about you guys go fuck yourselves? You defiling your office with that intent just makes the needed responses all the more necessary. More proof the GQP is a cancer in cult form. Here's hoping 2022 sees them reap more defeat for their treasonous ways.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Chuck & Nancy should call their bluffs with HR1 and corporate speech being limited as part of the bill.
Shit craft a separate bill that puts limits on corporate speech and see how many Rs are serious about this.

Reactions: dank69

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Chuck & Nancy should call their bluffs with HR1 and corporate speech being limited as part of the bill.
Shit craft a separate bill that puts limits on corporate speech and see how many Rs are serious about this.

Corporations are people, and money is free speech, amiright?

Mar 11, 2004
I mean, Mitch just outed that Republicans view themselves as the pimps, they've already forfeited any argument that they're not part of the whore industry, they're just trying to act tough so that they don't end up on their knees/backs, but its too late, they bent over for Turmp and now they're stuck. The fucking idiots wanted money in politics because they thought that would keep them in power. Then they went to ever increasing levels of insanity and then are surprised there are limits to what corporations are willing to put up with. Plus, they effectively forced this situation via the Citizens United and Hobby Lobby shit, where now consumers pretty much have to take into account political aspects, and therefore companies have to be mindful as well, which was always going to backfire on Republicans.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
And remember, all this debate is about a law created because of a LIE! Remember this. We’re essentially legitimizing Trump’s claim of election “problems” by not addressing the LIE this law is based upon and are instead arguing crap that’s being waved in our faces to ensure we’re distracted from this exact point.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

Good move by the MLB. Hit these assholes where it hurts.
Now we need Coke and Delta to actually DO SOMETHING instead of a half-assed press release.

Edit: and, for what it's worth, I looked for the thread on the Georgia voting law to put this there but ta hell if I could find it.
The Trumpster has called for a boycott of all these folks... how I don't know, he's banned from his Twitter addiction. I saw this bit on TV news last night. Cancel culture meets cancel culture. That guy Kemp could turn a rodent's stomach.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
hypocritical, Colorado has more restrictive voting laws than Georgia. lololol this whole thing is a total fail.

You know nothing about what you speak. lololol

Now tell the one how GA has more liberal weed laws too.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
When the same stuff comes from a sitting US Senator who knows better it is more insidious because it's just a total fucking lie.

Six percent of votes in CO for 2020 were cast in person. SIX PERCENT. Considering they offer almost as many early voting days as GA does on a per capita basis that's a shit ton of voting access.
it is not false, keep trying you might get it right. what part is antidemocratic? the ID? lol colorado requires a photo ID to vote.

How long are the lines to vote in CO?
- none, you get mailed your ballot way early and you walk to your mailbox.
-your neighbor can give you food, water, and/or weed on the way and it's not a crime!
- don't want to go to your mailbox? Sure, go to a dropbox, easy to find. No dickbag Republican tricks making it one box per county

-automatic registration, easy online registration, and you can even show up and register same day.
-drive thru voting

- college students can vote as residents

- didn't vote last election? Still registered for next election. No bullshit mass voter roll purges

- Elway led Broncos owned the Falcons ass in Superbowl 33

CampaignCallout.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Haven't been following this thread, but am most the way through this incisive video explaining in stark focused detail why and how the GOP in Georgia have stacked the deck in efforts to insure they dominate forthcoming election cycles (unless they are effectively countered). Don't know if this was posted before in this thread but this absolutely deserves a nod, and a 2nd nod, likely multiple viewings/listenings as well!

Edit: Good on MLB!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.