Please help me - which engineering to pick?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
I am stuck between Chemical, Mechanial, Electronics and Computer Science.

Which would involve the least amount of math? Also, which can be taken online?

Please, I know these are difficult and generalized questions, but I need some help.

Edit:

How is networking?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: raildogg

Please, I know these are difficult and generalized questions, but I need some help.

If you don't like math, stay away from engineering/science all together.

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
All of them have quite a bit of math, you are in the wrong major if you aren't good or don't like math. Computer Science at my university has 3 Calc for Engineers, Diffy Q, 2 Discrete classes, and 1 Statistics. Plus throw in 2 Physics for Engineers, 1 Chemistry class for Engineers.

And online? Can't answer that question. My university has some classes that are online, but I never took an online math or science class.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: jman19

If you don't like math, stay away from engineering/science all together.

QFT. You aren't going to find engineering online either, you're required to do labs.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I'm pretty sure you can take computer science online... the other engineering disciplines probably require hands on lab work. Personally, i don't see the need for traditional mathematics for comp sci, just suffer through your calc/physics classes and focus on your programming courses.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Thank you for the quick replies.

Yes, they all require math, but which one requires the least? I don't have problem taking math if I have to. I am just curious.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Danman
All of them have quite a bit of math, you are in the wrong major if you aren't good or don't like math. Computer Science at my university has 3 Calc for Engineers, Diffy Q, 2 Discrete classes, and 1 Statistics. Plus throw in 2 Physics for Engineers, 1 Chemistry class for Engineers.

And online? Can't answer that question. My university has some classes that are online, but I never took an online math or science class.
That's "Diff EQ". Sorry, but "Diffy Q"? How is that an abbreviation for Differential Equations?

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Thank you for the quick replies.

Yes, they all require math, but which one requires the least? I don't have problem taking math if I have to. I am just curious.
Sorry, I just think that if you're questioning it right now, you're in trouble down the road.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus
I'm pretty sure you can take computer science online... the other engineering disciplines probably require hands on lab work. Personally, i don't see the need for traditional mathematics for comp sci, just suffer through your calc/physics classes and focus on your programming courses.

A true computer science curriculum will have a strong emphasis on mathematical concepts; while you might not use calc directly in your studies, you will use proof solving techniques and rigorous rules/constructs as a computer scientist.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Every single course has math in engineering. Even freaking Ecology courses use differential equations and integration. I liked math, but started hating straight math after first year of Civil. Sitting at third year now, and the math only piles on top more and more. Also, I think Civil is one of the least 'math demanding' among engineering, and it's still loaded up. If you want online courses, stay away. Only things that don't require labs/some kind of hands on are the straight math courses. And you're stuck between Chem, Mech, Elec and Computer Science... Stay away, the last 3 are the most 'mathy'. Not sure about chemical, but my first year physical chemistry was ALL math. Spent more time on equations that explaining what the equations meant.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Imp
Every single course has math in engineering. Even freaking Ecology courses use differential equations and integration. I liked math, but started hating straight math after first year of Civil. Sitting at third year now, and the math only piles on top more and more. Also, I think Civil is one of the least 'math demanding' among engineering, and it's still loaded up. If you want online courses, stay away. Only things that don't require labs/some kind of hands on are the straight math courses. And you're stuck between Chem, Mech, Elec and Computer Science... Stay away, the last 3 are the most 'mathy'. Not sure about chemical, but my first year physical chemistry was ALL math. Spent more time on equations that explaining what the equations meant.

ChemE has quite a bit of math in it.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Hmmm ... I know that Computer Science is different from Computer Programming in that it covers a bigger area. But is Computer Programming a good career path?

How is networking? I am considering networking now.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Ilmater

That's "Diff EQ". Sorry, but "Diffy Q"? How is that an abbreviation for Differential Equations?

Apparently it got the point across... it sounds the same if you ask me. DIFF-E-Q. DIFFY-Q. But whatever :p

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
I don't know about electronics or compsci, but chemical and mechanical will require alot of math. Math is your friend - if you really intend to do engineering as a career you will likely, a few years down the road, wish that you had more math, not less. And this is coming from an AE with a math minor. So if you have any doubts about that, you need to reconsider engineering.

The fact that you are considering such widely divergent fields of engineering is odd also. What are you excited about? Not many people can slog through an engineering degree just because - it takes some passion and excitement.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Very interesting. I was curious about networking as I spoke to a person who said that he enjoyed working in the field. In your opinion, is networking a good field to enter in to?

How does it compare to the engineering jobs in terms of salaries?

I am currently looking at the government BLS website for some info. I want a job that is related to computers. I currently take CIS, which is Information Systems, and I think it is too generalized. I want something more specific and want a specialty.

Please guide.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Armitage
I don't know about electronics or compsci, but chemical and mechanical will require alot of math. Math is your friend - if you really intend to do engineering as a career you will likely, a few years down the road, wish that you had more math, not less. And this is coming from an AE with a math minor. So if you have any doubts about that, you need to reconsider engineering.

The fact that you are considering such widely divergent fields of engineering is odd also. What are you excited about? Not many people can slog through an engineering degree just because - it takes some passion and excitement.

Just to verify, Electrical Eng. is also a LOT of math. Calc, Physics, Chem, and EE's general courses are also a lot of math.

Very interesting. I was curious about networking as I spoke to a person who said that he enjoyed working in the field. In your opinion, is networking a good field to enter in to?

I am currently looking at the government BLS website for some info. I want a job that is related to computers. I currently take CIS, which is Information Systems, and I think it is too generalized. I want something more specific and want a specialty.

Please guide.

What school are you going to now?

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX

Apparently it got the point across... it sounds the same if you ask me. DIFF-E-Q. DIFFY-Q. But whatever :p

Eh, it's just how we abbreviate it here in Florida. You knew what it meant, right? :D

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999

Please guide.

To be honest, you are going to get your specialization out of your job experience. I don't think a degree can teach you to be an SA or maintain a firewall. What it can do is give you the overall understanding of businesses and a general view of certain technological aspects.

Just my cents. I majored in IT and a quite a bit of the material doesn't apply to my job at all. By the way, I'm a Network Engineer. Remember, degrees are usually conceptual, not much on real-world applications.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004

Eh, it's just how we abbreviate it here in Florida. You knew what it meant, right? :D

What, is Florida separate from the rest of the US? Or... do you want to call it even? :D

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

Please guide.

To be honest, you are going to get your specialization out of your job experience. I don't think a degree can teach you to be an SA or maintain a firewall. What it can do is give you the overall understanding of businesses and a general view of certain technological aspects.

Just my cents. I majored in IT and a quite a bit of the material doesn't apply to my job at all. By the way, I'm a Network Engineer. Remember, degrees are usually conceptual, not much on real-world applications.

Thank you very much and all others for the great replies.

How do you like your job? And are job prospects good?

Very curious about networking.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004

Please guide.

What school are you going to now for CIS? I asked a few threads ago, but it was kind of jumbled in with a bunch of stuff in case you didn't see :p

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

Please guide.

What school are you going to now for CIS? I asked a few threads ago, but it was kind of jumbled in with a bunch of stuff in case you didn't see :p

Sorry:p,It is WakeTech Comm. College. Been here for a couple years and want to transfer to, probably, NC State. I asked my advisor and he said that CIS is very broad and has a little bit of everything.

Should I continue with CIS-Information Systems or transfer to networking?

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004

Please guide.

Sorry:p,It is WakeTech Comm. College. Been here for a couple years and want to transfer to, probably, NC State. I asked my advisor and he said that CIS is very broad and has a little bit of everything.

Should I continue with CIS-Information Systems or transfer to networking?

I can't speak for networking.. but I know that in the beginning of EE, the classes are very broad. A prof told me that it is almost impossible to teach you everything dealing with electronics, it's just way too broad. But the job options for EE's are also pretty broad, which is a good thing :)

Platypus

Lifer
Apr 26, 2001
My degree is in network engineering but I'm a UNIX sysadmin / computer security consultant so who knows. I did networking so I could better my security skills.

It required 3 semesters of calculus (all kinds) and one of statistics.
You're gonna have to suck it up unfortunately... if it's easy it isn't worth doing ;)