Please help me - which engineering to pick?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Danman
Originally posted by: CraKaJaX
Originally posted by: Ilmater
All of them have quite a bit of math, you are in the wrong major if you aren't good or don't like math. Computer Science at my university has 3 Calc for Engineers, Diffy Q, 2 Discrete classes, and 1 Statistics. Plus throw in 2 Physics for Engineers, 1 Chemistry class for Engineers.

And online? Can't answer that question. My university has some classes that are online, but I never took an online math or science class.
That's "Diff EQ". Sorry, but "Diffy Q"? How is that an abbreviation for Differential Equations?

Apparently it got the point across... it sounds the same if you ask me. DIFF-E-Q. DIFFY-Q. But whatever :p

Eh, it's just how we abbreviate it here in Florida. You knew what it meant, right? :D

if its worth anything, I live in canada and we cally it diffy qs

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: raildogg
Very interesting. I was curious about networking as I spoke to a person who said that he enjoyed working in the field. In your opinion, is networking a good field to enter in to?

How does it compare to the engineering jobs in terms of salaries?

I am currently looking at the government BLS website for some info. I want a job that is related to computers. I currently take CIS, which is Information Systems, and I think it is too generalized. I want something more specific and want a specialty.

Please guide.

To be honest, you are going to get your specialization out of your job experience. I don't think a degree can teach you to be an SA or maintain a firewall. What it can do is give you the overall understanding of businesses and a general view of certain technological aspects.

Just my cents. I majored in IT and a quite a bit of the material doesn't apply to my job at all. By the way, I'm a Network Engineer. Remember, degrees are usually conceptual, not much on real-world applications.

Thank you very much and all others for the great replies.

How do you like your job? And are job prospects good?

Very curious about networking.

What school are you going to now for CIS? I asked a few threads ago, but it was kind of jumbled in with a bunch of stuff in case you didn't see :p

Sorry:p,It is WakeTech Comm. College. Been here for a couple years and want to transfer to, probably, NC State. I asked my advisor and he said that CIS is very broad and has a little bit of everything.

Should I continue with CIS-Information Systems or transfer to networking?

I can't speak for networking.. but I know that in the beginning of EE, the classes are very broad. A prof told me that it is almost impossible to teach you everything dealing with electronics, it's just way too broad. But the job options for EE's are also pretty broad, which is a good thing :)

Thank you. EE is electrical engineering or electronics engineering?

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: Ilmater
That's "Diff EQ". Sorry, but "Diffy Q"? How is that an abbreviation for Differential Equations?

Say them both out loud. :p

His point is that he thinks the abbreviation should be rooted in the spelling of the words "differential equations" and not the sound...

hypn0tik

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2005
EE FTW

Edit: Just read the thread. Stay out of Engineering if you don't want math. EE probably has the most math compared to the others.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The universe works on math. You need to know math to know how things are going to behave, especially machines or electronics. I'm in mechanical engineering, second year. My math intensive courses thus far:
Calculus I
Calculus II
Statics - lots of trig
Dynamics - more trig
Physics - trig an algebra
Strength of materials - statics class, with more algebra on top of it all

More to come:
Advanced strength of materials
Calculus and Differential Equations

And I'm sure that my other courses will include math. Thermodynamics, Heat transfer, Finite Element Analysis I and II, and Materials Engineering.
The math won't go away.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Eh, I was a math major and I didn't like math that much..just enough to survive and graduate.

clickynext

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2004
As others have said, don't do EE if you don't like math. Honestly all of those are going to involve a lot of math. Go to mining engineering if you want to minimize math courses...