PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!! I'M GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!

MRP0987

Nov 4, 2016
Hi guys,
I need your help urgently in trying to figure out this installation issue; I'm somewhat knowledgeable at computers, but still lack a lot of info. So I have an ASUS laptop Model-X552L and I order a new hard drive for it because every time I booted the computer the ASUS logo just kept loading. I put a Windows 8 installation on a USB and after changing the boot option in BIOS I manged to install it onto the new hard drive. Everything was working fine, but just when I got done setting up the laptop the whole thing crashed. When I tried booting it back up the screen was just lighting up, but nothing was loading. I even tried using the USB I initially formatted it with, but it the screen kept getting stuck on the "Setup is starting" screen. Keep in mind that this didn't happen the first time I did this. After reading numerous threads I tried to use command prompt as the various threads stated, but after I typed in "Diskpart" then "list disk", nothing happens. I waited forever and nothing changes....I am really lost on what to do since I cant use command prompt or use the USB...PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!! I'VE BEEN AT THIS FOR 3 DAYS!!!

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
if you download a copy of linux (ubuntu, debian, etc.) you can run it off of a cd or usb drive as a live cd (no installation) and it doesn't use your hard drive but it will allow you to access your hard drive.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Good calls, all of them, Master Shake.

I bought a (used) laptop from a recycler, that had been "refurbished". I got a deal on it, because: 1) it was discarded, and they "fixed" it, or whatever they did to it, and 2) the HDD they thew in was blank.

So, I got it home, after it being stored at a friend's place for a few months after purchase, and in the BIOS, they had a HDD test. (I forget now whether it was a full read scan, or a full read/write.) I let it do its thing, but I had the laptop on the end of my bed, which was probably not a wise choice-ventilation-wise.

After it was finished, I tried rebooting, to install an OS. (HDD tested fine.)

It never really rebooted after that.

Now, this was an HP laptop, with a "bumpgate" NV chipset. I guess it had overheated and died, while I was testing the HDD. At least, that's the best that I can figure.

Never did get that this working. Oh well. Didn't cost too much, though.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
if you download a copy of linux (ubuntu, debian, etc.) you can run it off of a cd or usb drive as a live cd (no installation) and it doesn't use your hard drive but it will allow you to access your hard drive.

www.linuxmint.com , also search for a Windows' USB ISO formatter tool called "Rufus". Download the portable version to a Windows PC, download a Linux Mint ISO, and put it on a USB using Rufus.

MRP0987

Nov 4, 2016
So after I gain access to my hard drive what should I do next? I can't use command prompt to do anything. Also, please forgive my ignorance I'm not too familiar with some things.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
I wonder why the initial problem is analysed as a disk error ? The Asus splash screen is an option available in the bios on the Asus boards I have seen. Was the initial anomaly the mere presence of the screen or the fact it would not go away and the boot operation never complete ?

Consider replacing the first drive , entering the bios and discontinuing the splash screen operation. Is there an error message on the monitor ?

vailr

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Replacing a laptop spinning drive with another spinning drive was probably not the best option.
An SSD as replacement would be a better choice. Then use an external USB hard drive enclosure for the spinning drive.
If problems continue, I would suspect the laptop's SATA connector cable.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Replacing a laptop spinning drive with another spinning drive was probably not the best option.

True that. I have an associate that had a laptop HDD fail. I told him to get a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, and I showed it to him at Newegg.

Well, a week later, I found out he had purchased another spinning drive. Ok, this time, a 7200RPM, rather than a 5400, but still. Moving parts is still moving parts. And laptops get tossed around a lot. I much prefer solid-state drives in laptops. Gives them quite a bit more margin of error of not getting damaged from transit, and minor abuse.

master_shake_

Diamond Member
May 22, 2012
basically what you want to do is blank the drive again and try installing windows again/

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
SSD boot drives are super affordable these days and if your laptop can use two or more drives you can keep the spinner for data storage. I replaced both drives in my laptop with ssd's and I don't regret it one bit.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Hirens Boot CD or UBCD4Win will help you scan the HDD for errors. Also try testing your memory with Memtest 86+. Although, the hard drive is most likely at fault.

If you have to replace the hard drive go with a SSD. Use AsSSD and make sure the partition is aligned and that AHCI is on. In fact, make sure AHCI is on in BIOS prior to OS install otherwise it will be a PITA to enable after the fact.